• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

#'s 276-282

Captain America Man & Wolf TPB

Collects Captain America #'s 402-408. Picked this up about a year ago at my local comic shop's clearance table $5 and it was worth it. It covers the storyline how Captain America discovers a little town where everyone is a werewolf, while he searches for his pilot Captain John Jameson who becomes the wolf man again. Captain America gets turned into a werewolf as does Wolverine as a odd hybrid wolf. At the end all are released of the moon's gaze as it were. Love the fact that the trade doesn't have the hyper glossy photo finish on the pages and is real paper feel!

#'s 283-287

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder in Hell TPB.

Collects Shredder in Hell #'s 1-5. Not being a regular reader of the Turtle Series, I thought that this was. a mini series. The too be continued at the end kind of got my hopes up on this being a one and done book to read. Anyway, Shredder is in Hell and battling with how he wants to move on. His old friend Splinter gives up Nirvana to accompany him and to help him on his quest to free himself of the Dragon God's spirit that has been possessing him his entire life. Splinter takes on his human personage, splinter, and as a actual little rat during the adventures through hell itself. 

#'s 289-290

Amazing Spiderman #101 (True Believers #1 $1.00 Reprint)

Spiderman in the previous issue wanted to end his power and took a chemical mixture he drank only to now have four extra arms. He calls Doc Connors out in Florida to use his place in Staten Island, Morbius the vampire makes his appearance having drank the crew of a ship and took on Spidey. Doc Connors arrived at the house to try and help only to get angered and turned into the Lizard, now both are after Spiderman to be continued.

Ghost Rider #16 (1975)

Picked it up in a convention last summer in the $5 dollar box. Ghost Rider has his first weekend off in a month, and winds up at a house on the beach where a man is shooting at dolphins. He hears the tale from the daughter of why the man hates dolphins. The dolphins wind up saving both of their lives out at sea, and the man apologizes. Classic 1970's Marvel tale back when comics were more kid friendly. Have to love the musty smell of an old comic, and the hostess add where the bad guy gives up to get the dessert. Aunt May was kidnapped and the ransom was 50,000 dollars. Spiderman saved her with a supply of Twinkies. 

#'s 291-296

Spiderman Masques Hard Cover 

Collects Spiderman (1990) #'s 6-7, 13-14 & 16 as well as X-Force (1991) #4

Was a $4.95 clearance item at my local comic shop a year or so ago that I finally found the time to get to. 

I'll be honest, not a fan of darker storylines and the book in general gave me a bad feeling as I read especially when Hobgoblin and Ghost Rider fought, rider didn't care that he had innocents in danger.  

On 5/10/2020 at 1:46 PM, srezvan said:

Andre the Giant: Life and Legend - I bought this from the author/artist in 2015. He had a booth at a convention and I happened to notice him on the way out. Andre the Giant? Sure, I'll give it a chance! I was inspired to finally read this after the Princess Bride came on Disney+ and our kids loved it. I thought the story was interesting. Lots of tidbits about Andre growing up and working in the wrestling business. Certainly some mixed feelings about him, but it also shows how his actions were at times shaped by how he was treated throughout his life. For a 200+ page comic, it's a very fast read.

Read that a couple of years ago and felt underwhelmed. I agree that there is a lot of interesting tidbits but the overall research lacked depths and not much of an arc to the story overall in the final products. Felt like a trivia book more than a biography.

On 5/13/2020 at 9:43 PM, Talapas1 said:

500-511

Over halfway there!   And a great series to pass it with:

Mister Miracle 1-12

I really enjoyed this run, though I think I need to read it again.  I love Barda and Scott’s relationship and seeing Scott as a Badass warrior-god rather than the sort of need that he was in JLI.    I thought the book was well worth the hype.  

74BC447D-078D-4717-B8DD-AF36CF62C420.jpeg

I LOVE that series. I was a new father who was also struggling with depression when I read it. It resonated rather deeply with me.

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I LOVE that series. I was a new father who was also struggling with depression when I read it. It resonated rather deeply with me.

I’m not a new father, but I was, once upon a time.  And seeing depression laid out like that was very real.    Scott and Barda’s relationship seemed very relatable (as relatable as two planet hopping war gods can be) in that their arguments seemed real and anger felt legitimate.  It’s hard to explain, but rarely do superhero relationships seem that authentic.

I did a quick count of my progress so far. I have been journaling my reading since 2017 when I first did the challenge seriously so looking at my journal entries, so far this year, I have read:

358 single US issues

14 European albums (which count as 2 single US issues) = 28

89 manga volumes … which is where things get iffy. I typically count each as 7 comics (page count wise, though they read faster) but at 7 each that's 623

54 other counts from other reads: OGN, Comic Strip Collections, Reprint books, etc

so, with the generous manga count, that's 1,063 as of today or counting the manga volumes as just one each, that's 529.

Favorite in each category so far:

Single issues: I am re-reading my issues of Scalped and there's a lot to love in that series as well as going back through my Usagi Yojimbo trades which are delightful.

European albums: the omnibus of Once upon a time in France published in the US by Dead Reckoning. Looking at the event of the French occupation from the perspective of a collaborator, full of moral ambiguity, no one comes out smelling like roses.

Manga: Magus of the Library hits right in my comfort zone: beautifully illustrated, simply heart-warming and related to books! Enjoyable but I will also shout out to Ooku, a denser read but very satisfying.

OGN and Misc. collections: Mort Cinder by Breccia and Oesterheld. Didn't know what to expect going in, staying through with it. Graphically interesting, less satisfying from the story perspective but worthwhile having read.

#'s 297-299

Archie Meets Batman '66 #1 2nd Printing:

Never got around to collecting the full series, and this has been sitting in the to read box for way too long. Really good, I'm going to have to hunt down the hardcover now. Batman, Robin, and Batgirl once again take down a nemesis, this time Poison Ivy and the other main villains decide it is time to try attacking another town where Batman may not notice them. So they go to Riverdale! 

Ghost Rider #20 (1973 Series):

First 30 cent cover price in the series. (I wish they were that price still.) Then again, I'm sure it cost more to have so much ink in the new page setup but I'm getting off topic. One of a handful of books I picked up at a comic convention last summer at Garden State Comic Fest. It was from the $5 dollar box, and Ghost Rider teams up with Daredevil so you can't go wrong. Daredevil and Ghost Rider team up to save Daredevil's ex-girlfriend Karen Page from being kidnapped.  

Scooby Doo 50th Anniversary Giant #1 100 Page special:

I am counting this as one book read. If you read mostly modern books the page count is 22 pages. If you read books from the silver age or early copper, the page counts are longer so I feel if a modern or a silver counts as one, I will count a 100 page special as one book too. Three new stories giving Scooby a 50th Birthday surprise in some way form each story, and six reprints from older Scooby Doo Where Are You Series. 

I LOVED the first three stories, they took the time to develop the plot a bit more and it made it so you didn't pretty much guess how the villain was after reading two pages. (The only downside of being a adult reading the books.) I wish they had more story lines where you have to wait longer to figure out the culprit. The remaining six stories are good reads that are worth revisiting once in a while.

# 300 :banana:

Giant Size Spiderman and Dracula #1 68 Pages:

This is one of the books that has been on my bucket list for at least six years give or take. It was purchased last year at Garden State Comic Fest in a dealer's $5 dollar box. Needless to say, that box was a bit lighter after I went through it. 

First story, Spiderman has to beg Torch from the Fantastic Four for help to borrow a plane to get to a cruise ship out in sea. Aunt May is dying of a rare strain of flu and the creator of a new vaccine is traveling by boat so he needs to get there in time. Many individuals try to take out the doctor, either for gain, or in Dracula's case, to kill the doctor so it would be easier for said vampire to take over the world. 

The second story was. reprint from a annual where Spiderman is framed as a art thief and the Torch from the Fantastic Four who is sometimes helpful with Spiderman and sometimes mad at first chases Spidey, before figuring out it was a frame up and then decides to help Spiderman out.

I am grateful for this thread as a motivator to get into my LONG overdue backlog of reading.

GI Joe 109

i grabbed this reader copy for a couple quarters yesterday.   I’d heard about this issue but had never read it, so I couldn’t pass up on it when I spied it in then reader bin.   What’s so special about this story?   A number of iconic joes meet their end, mostly due to a misunderstanding in orders between Cobra Commander and the Twins.   A bloodthirsty Saw Viper murders Doc and a few other Joes and then at the end of the issue, Quick Kick and most of the survivors die in a tank explosion.   Pretty brutal.   Now I need to find this in a nicer condition for my pc.  

C0C4F635-347F-4827-AAC6-1C8365932DF7.jpeg