• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

#'s 301- 317 

Darkwing Duck The Definitively Dangerous Edition:

Collects Darkwing Duck #1-16 & Darkwing Duck Annual #1.

Great story arch where Darkwing Duck comes out of retirement where all villains and normal civilians have to work a 9-5 job in little cubicles to take the fight to all of his original foes, and new foes as well. Darkwing gets back his old girl friend only to lose her again, his daughter goes to a private school, he ran against Launchpad for mayor and lost. (Launchpad only lasted 20 minutes before he resigned and the city was physically ruined.) 

Overall, it was a great read, and I love how James Silvani slipped in characters or mashups from the Disney universe into the side characters. He does great mashups! 

Edited by cgcsketcherz

#'s 318 - 319

Scooby Doo # 118 (1997 Series):

One of the personal artist copies I got off of Tim Levins for purchasing original Scooby art pages. Love the second story more how it is a spin off of the board game clue and they are trying to find the missing mystery dinner host.

The first story is a spin off of a house remodeling show only, the gang has to get rid of the ghost of a ex-gangster before the house could be remodeled. 

Daredevil #112 (1964 Series):

Daredevil has to take on the Mandrill who is threatening to use a Atomic Bomb in NYC if he isn't proclaimed president of the United States of America. Mandrill can control/hypnotise the female population including an old girlfriend of Daredevil, Black Widow. The day is saved though by Daredevil. 

246-248

It came out on a Wednesday 1 and 11

These are OK sci-fi/horror anthology books. Are they worth $1.99....I guess.

Detective Comics 982

This is related to Batman The Cult. It is a oneshot that takes place well after the cult. I really liked it, and the art was great!

91E32ECC-E86A-4DE8-8421-B2D13E770A98.jpeg

8FB5DA36-7B06-41FC-8408-04BBC81E5A0E.jpeg

249-254

The Dollhouse Family 1-6

I like Joe Hill and when I saw that he got his own line of horror books at DC I thought Id give them a try. Joe Hill is only doing 2 books but I thought Id check them all out. This one is by M.R.Carey. I liked it but it didnt blow me away.

From mycomicshop.com

On Alice's sixth birthday, her dying great-aunt sent her the birthday gift she didn't know she always wanted: a big, beautiful 19th-century dollhouse, complete with a family of antique dolls. In no time at all, the dollhouse isn't just Alice's favorite toy...it's her whole world. And soon, young Alice learns she can enter the house to visit a new group of friends, straight out of a heartwarming children's novel: the Dollhouse family. But while the Dollhouse family welcome her with open arms, in the real world, her family life is becoming much more complicated...and deep within the Dollhouse's twisting halls, the black room waits, with an offer to Alice. The house can fix all this, the black room says. All she has to do is say the words... Longtime collaborators Mike Carey and Peter Gross (Lucifer, The Unwritten) are joined by Vince Locke (The Sandman), to bring their most horrifying vision yet to Hill House Comics-a story that echoes into centuries past, into Alice's tormented future, and into the beating heart of the madness that makes up our world...literally.

16999144-56B5-4E02-8087-1682A01EC979.jpeg

Edited by Raze
added synopsis

17 hours ago, Raze said:

Detective Comics 982

This is related to Batman The Cult. It is a oneshot that takes place well after the cult. I really liked it, and the art was great!

91E32ECC-E86A-4DE8-8421-B2D13E770A98.jpeg

It seems that Batman's utility belt got an upgrade. 

513-548

Thing 1-36.    I managed to pick up the complete run for under $50 and I’m glad I did.  The first few Byrne issues were featured some amazing wordsmithing, and while Wilson’s pencils aren’t going into my top 10 favorites any time soon, they were serviceable and I don’t really have any real complaints.   I loved seeing the thing out on his own, though when Byrne left, the story suffered a bit.  It did pick up towards the Wrestling arc, though it felt that some plots were never really wrapped up.    All in all, it was a worthwhile read.

84A410C9-2DBC-4B8E-8C8F-346F6989F04C.jpeg

549-556

Usagi Yojjmbo 1-3:  Really fun little story. I mean who doesn’t love little demon puppets? It’s been years since I’ve read any of his adventures but after reading this, I will be adding it to my pull list.   

Transformers Galaxies 4 & 5:    The wrap up of the Devastator story and the start of a fun Cliffjumper Arc.   I’ve really enjoyed the focus on characters who are often background dressing.  There is some sympathy to be found for the constructions and some absolute horror about the insect icons in this title. Well worth the read.

Ghost Spider 5:  I realized that I never grabbed this one and had to go back for it.   Jackal is a gross creep.  All that needs to be said about this issue.

DCeased Unkillables 1 & 2:   I liked the original DCeased series and this one is almost better.   This captures horror a bit better than Marvel Zombies, who became more of a joke.  Excited for the next issue.

39F62D9B-5A68-482E-94B1-63AF2B3FDDDD.jpeg

AE09AB89-1034-444C-B727-C5A339584605.jpeg

COHLNbbRK46HhdqbQnKMP87U9OoMn4yUpHdCVSUPuq7mOBVldCWdjJ2hV7i22Oo90vYxomS8YWB9fb2Lr4rCOqsTS1cfaAY6TOZY78pbRO696rlwZ5V_D62S-gnUSnkyhW68r4QHgWfkkUxYe04DnV74Wc5jvrNaQ2nuvfIGbifCbuykXag2RGy0lpix6KUyVTvXE_3apEZYVFPF5tSjCqDW1RVBz4EJOC4xl30n2COE8M8nx1cbOjVzaNPyG1Qil_-FzCyce_ZFL8CCsB25DPB2Jz7lz03Xq8J8kol0-R4rPZggBOjRhZVglg6FmyQs2bpQeiRHHSGTJmqf1ROXkSLSIIGp5eegZcr1W9VvcxVLM9tvegxXZdC_rZ54GF0U__tRqdAivrK9FBtumYysugI-ICI0nxGXTZpzTDMl2VF2qwv76OKtdIapxqRtEKNnD3L6tbG24cGX_oPdQxdRQv5i0HZ3QXRi9pumNkU-kOyl53ci1bJ_Oh73m39eCVADSzFeCspY8N0xdJQCQA1GDughKqiWfaone_HpSpU9BYY41e2JUJBGCsWouyJfOLD33JoXcp64IVT_550bTWB4eH1MBIibvTfYDVLYAFsQ9cns73omMPRDr0rjAif_ki2xwdMn_X-MHyP9SBht6TCeCU2xvtuF6y9WIU_3_Rs21RZMVD5JvKrn46pJnqJ2N1U=w545-h725-no?authuser=0

94. I enjoyed Bang! and asked my LCS to add it to my list. The writer is interested in pulp heroes and how those character types have iterated through pop culture for several decades. I don't know that it's going to be a breakout hit, but it intrigued me enough to keep me reading. Plus, I like to support Image and Boom!, so I'm always on the lookout for good titles from them.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

On 5/22/2020 at 8:31 PM, Talapas1 said:

513-548

Thing 1-36.    I managed to pick up the complete run for under $50 and I’m glad I did.  The first few Byrne issues were featured some amazing wordsmithing, and while Wilson’s pencils aren’t going into my top 10 favorites any time soon, they were serviceable and I don’t really have any real complaints.   I loved seeing the thing out on his own, though when Byrne left, the story suffered a bit.  It did pick up towards the Wrestling arc, though it felt that some plots were never really wrapped up.    All in all, it was a worthwhile read.

I remember reading some of the later issues of The Thing run while in college back in the day.  I loved them!

On 5/16/2020 at 5:00 AM, speedcake said:

This is the "buy 1000 comic books in 2020" thread, right?  :tonofbricks:

I've got stuff from years ago on the pile.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

#'s 301- 317 

Darkwing Duck The Definitively Dangerous Edition:

Collects Darkwing Duck #1-16 & Darkwing Duck Annual #1.

Great story arch where Darkwing Duck comes out of retirement where all villains and normal civilians have to work a 9-5 job in little cubicles to take the fight to all of his original foes, and new foes as well. Darkwing gets back his old girl friend only to lose her again, his daughter goes to a private school, he ran against Launchpad for mayor and lost. (Launchpad only lasted 20 minutes before he resigned and the city was physically ruined.) 

Overall, it was a great read, and I love how James Silvani slipped in characters or mashups from the Disney universe into the side characters. He does great mashups! 

The Darkwing Duck comics are great. Too bad the 2016 series got cancelled. Those issues were funny too, if you haven't read them.

I just finished Exiles Ultimate Collection #1, which collects issues #1 - 19. Also "read" G.I. Joe #21 as an "interlude" to break up the long TPB. See what I did there? I really enjoyed the Exiles. Basically an ongoing "what if" series with some interesting stories. Not all of them were great, but I'll hunt down the other ultimate editions and add them to the reading list. It also inspired me to go back and read the other Age of Apocalypse books that take place after the major story line, so that is coming later.

20200525_111039.jpg

44 minutes ago, srezvan said:

The Darkwing Duck comics are great. Too bad the 2016 series got cancelled. Those issues were funny too, if you haven't read them.

No I haven't, I will have to see if they made a trade of the series. Thanks for the heads up. 

16 minutes ago, srezvan said:

Just finished Dragon's Lair - 7 issues from two different companies. Pretty entertaining. Google tells me that Ryan Reynolds may play Dirk the Daring in a Netflix movie. I think that makes sense. CrossGen released the first three issues, then shut down. The 3rd issue has poor paper quality and blurry printing. Arcana then re-released the first 3 issues into the new #1, then 3 new issues (#2-4), for a total of 6 issues.

20200530_071442.jpg

I likes it ! lot of love :x 

50 minutes ago, srezvan said:

Just finished Dragon's Lair - 7 issues from two different companies. Pretty entertaining. Google tells me that Ryan Reynolds may play Dirk the Daring in a Netflix movie. I think that makes sense. CrossGen released the first three issues, then shut down. The 3rd issue has poor paper quality and blurry printing. Arcana then re-released the first 3 issues into the new #1, then 3 new issues (#2-4), for a total of 6 issues.

20200530_071442.jpg

I guess my reading list just got longer.......again........