• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

They remind me of Ken Garing's recent Gogor series.

I was so bummed when he announced that it ended so early. Sadly there does not seem to be a lot of support for some decent series in the marketplace :sorry:

On 6/10/2020 at 6:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Progress: 100/1,000

• Calvin & Hobbes: 1985
  • Calvin & Hobbes: Winter 1986

The production value on the complete collection is fantastic. I don't think I ever read anything of C&H from the 1980's. There is a lot of political humor. Some real LOL strips.

Of all the comics of the 80's, Calvin and Hobbes are still my favorites and really hold up.   My 12 year old loves them and is able to relate.  

618-621

Faithless 1-4    Picked this series up as I have always been a fan of Brian Azzarello's.  I didn't post a picture of the issues as they are borderline nsfw.  Story is interesting if a little bit gratuitous.  I'm interested in seeing where he goes with this.  

5 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

Of all the comics of the 80's, Calvin and Hobbes are still my favorites and really hold up.   My 12 year old loves them and is able to relate.  

Probably relates mostly to how low your polls are after being disciplined. :baiting:

Avengers Kree/Skrull War TPB

I'd give it a 3.5/5. I think some of the dialogue is dated (especially the treatment of the Scarlet Witch, who is one of the most powerful beings on the planet) and the ending was completely rushed. The "war" was really just the last few issues, with some buildup in the earlier issues that comes together. Interesting setup, interesting premise. I do want to read the Kree/Skrull War What If starting Rick Jones and the Death of Captain Marvel, so those are now on the list.

20200616_062024.thumb.jpg.6f6f8f0755572bfa2a7edc154fd0be5e.jpg

8 hours ago, srezvan said:

and the ending was completely rushed

A common criticism.  It is a disappointing ending, turning Rick Jones into a ‘solve everything’, overpowered deus ex machina.

The Korvac Saga has the same problem, a strong storyline up until the unconvincing ending.

Edited by Ken Aldred

263-268

Undiscovered Country 1-6

Scott Snyder is my favorite writer so his new book with co writer Charles Soule...I said sign me up!

From 

mycomicshop.com

In this special oversized first issue, readers will journey into the near future, and an unknown nation that was once the United States of America-a land that's become shrouded in mystery after walling itself off from the rest of the world without explanation over thirty years ago. When a team seeking a cure for a global pandemic breaches U.S. borders, they quickly find themselves in a struggle to survive this strange and deadly lost continent! 9016A17C-5D8D-4CF9-B4C3-5D739CA42059.jpeg

Edited by Raze

2 hours ago, Raze said:

Weird Science 21

I really liked this issue, fun stories!

Scan 2020-6-20 00.21.21.jpg

Good taste. My favourite EC title.  The later issues are just brilliant, with classic Wood, and Williamson / Frazetta art.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Finished 103 comics so far this year.

The Strain (1st Series) #1-11. I had this on my pull list almost 9 years ago now! I read it back then, but never finished the 2nd and 3rd series, which I'll do soon. I'd give it a 4.5/5. I enjoyed the story and the interesting take on vampires. Great characters with several threads to follow. I thought the interior art was a little weak at times.

20200620_071854.jpg

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Good taste. My favourite EC title.  The later issues are just brilliant, with classic Wood, and Williamson / Frazetta art.

EC books are the focus of my collection. Im sitting around 170-180 books and looking for more but there are a few that Im being priced out of...

2 hours ago, srezvan said:

Finished 103 comics so far this year.

The Strain (1st Series) #1-11. I had this on my pull list almost 9 years ago now! I read it back then, but never finished the 2nd and 3rd series, which I'll do soon. I'd give it a 4.5/5. I enjoyed the story and the interesting take on vampires. Great characters with several threads to follow. I thought the interior art was a little weak at times.

20200620_071854.jpg

I had the books (novels) but never read them. This makes me want to read these.

14 minutes ago, Raze said:

Informer 1

I bought this for the cover...the stories were so-so.

5235F8F7-C054-4718-96B2-E3A7326FDD8D.jpeg

Crime Does Not Pay there.

We Stand Guard #1 - 6 (mini series). 4/5 stars. Back in the day when I had a LCS, they'd occasionally add things to my box that I didn't ask for. Sometimes I'd buy them, sometimes not. I bought these and they just fell way back in the reading queue. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but I thought it came together really well and I ended up enjoying it. No spoilers here, but I liked the arcs with the characters and how things concluded.

I also finished What If #20, as follow up to reading the Avengers Kree/Skrull War TPB. This should have been the ending. It makes a lot more sense.

20200621_103621.jpg

20200621_133255.jpg

On 6/20/2020 at 7:17 PM, Raze said:

EC books are the focus of my collection. Im sitting around 170-180 books and looking for more but there are a few that Im being priced out of...

Great focus.  ECs were quite static for a while, but pre-Code books took off again and so I suppose it’s understandable why the best publisher from that era has shown gains as well.

622-646

My kids and I have been playing a lot of the DC Deck building game lately. My son has decided that he needs to understand what all the cards are referencing, so he has been digging through all my trade paperbacks to do so.   Now, since all my trades are laying around the house, I’ve been going back through them as well.   The death of Blue Beetle was amazing and tragic in that he was on the right path, but was constantly dismissed.  It took his death to trigger any action on their part and even then, they didn’t seem wholly affected by his passing.  
mad for Rai, a dealer threw that in on a sale and I realized I had never read it before.  I really enjoyed it, as I do much of pre-unity Valiant.

i have a few other things to add to the reading pile this week.  I may not get a lot of time to get to them, but we will see.

A50DDAC1-7CCF-4BA9-8944-FE18F08BF9B3.jpeg