• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

Red Sonja: Death in Scarlet One-Shot. I picked this up on the boards not too long ago. Very interesting introduction about the creation of Red Sonja and a nice, short story early in her career. My brother has read the old Red Sonja novels and says they are fantastic, but I haven't read them yet.

20201018_181446.jpg

On 10/17/2020 at 12:57 PM, srezvan said:

I just finished "Saga of the Swamp Thing" book 1, which includes the first 8 issues of Alan Moore's run. This was recommended on this board. I had never read ANY Swamp Thing comics before this. I knew nothing of the character. I knew there was a not so great movie and a not so great cartoon some time ago, but the recent series was well received. I'll put my review the spoiler tag as to not ruin the plot for anyone.

Reveal hidden contents

Starting with "Loose Ends," it wasn't terribly hard to figure out what was going on. Plot threads needed to be closed so Moore could get started, which is understandable. "The Anatomy Lesson" was next, and, no exaggeration, I think this was one of my favorite issues of any comic ever. Great storytelling, plot, and background of who the Swamp Thing really is...or isn't. After that, it went down hill very fast for me. All the supernatural plot lines with the supporting cast, Blood/Demon, Monkey King, talking fly...just too much for me. It's not my style. I think I'm going to stop here with the series and keep the fond new memories I have of "The Anatomy Lesson" and avoid the ongoing supernatural plot lines.

20201016_102051.jpg

I have books (tpb)1-4 and 6 im missing book 5. I cant find a cheap one anywhere. And none of my LCS have it. Ill get one before the years out.

Are you going to read the whole run?

3 minutes ago, Raze said:

I have books (tpb)1-4 and 6 im missing book 5. I cant find a cheap one anywhere. And none of my LCS have it. Ill get one before the years out.

Are you going to read the whole run?

I am not. I put my full opinion in the spoiler tag, but, in summary, I don't like the supernatural bend the comic takes. It's just not for me.

10 hours ago, srezvan said:

I am not. I put my full opinion in the spoiler tag, but, in summary, I don't like the supernatural bend the comic takes. It's just not for me.

I didnt read your spoiler because I really want to read the whole thing. Ive always heard that the Moore run is great.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:03 AM, Talapas1 said:

929-1018

Wooo!   I hit my goal, and crossed the line with a bang!   

The Boys 1-72, Herogasm 1-6, Highland Laddie 1-6, and Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker 1-6.

It’s been a few years since I’ve read these so after finishing season 2 of the show I figured I may as well finish up my first 1000 with The Boys.   I forgot how insane a lot of it was.  I remembered most of the major beats but there was a lot either I didn’t remember of that I missed the last time I read it.   I’m glad I was inspired to take a refresher read as I’ve also been reading Dear Becky and needed the reminders of where our story has been so far.   
All in all I was glad to use the depravity that is Garth Ennis’s writing reach issue 1000.  Next stop 2000.  

14C79C41-598B-46E9-98F9-EBAAD6E140F1.jpeg

I recently got the complete run in a digital Humble Bundle. Likewise, added to my Everest-high reading pile.

381 to 393

Conan Epic Collection Vol 1 - Conan the Barbarian 1 to 13

Classic Bronze Age sword-and-sorcery, both Roy Thomas’  REH adaptations and his own material.

Great comic artwork from BWS.  Even early on his storytelling ability was superb, especially his use of congruent panels to show action progression.  Underneath the pre-Raphaelite ornateness, there are still some features of his art at this stage that I’ve never been that impressed by; his faces, especially once he gets out of the early, Kirby-influenced issues, and also his figurework which could sometimes be a bit stiff.

Over the long haul, I’ve come to appreciate John Buscema’s work more and more.  Perhaps it’s due to some of the pretentious dealers I knew here in the UK, back in the 70s, who had a constantly-snobbish air about  BWS’ artwork, which, while I’d agree was excellent comic art from a young creator with tremendous potential, was, in their opinion, the absolute pinnacle of fine art in the medium.  Certainly one of the greats of the field, but I’ve always tried to be somewhat more grounded about my comics.

Essential Conan reading.

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

381 to 393

Conan Epic Collection Vol 1 - Conan the Barbarian 1 to 13

Classic Bronze Age sword-and-sorcery, both Roy Thomas’  REH adaptations and his own material.

Great comic artwork from BWS.  Even early on his storytelling ability was superb, especially his use of congruent panels to show action progression.  Underneath the pre-Raphaelite ornateness, there are still some features of his art at this stage that I’ve never been that impressed by; his faces, especially once he gets out of the early, Kirby-influenced issues, and also his figurework which could sometimes be a bit stiff.

Over the long haul, I’ve come to appreciate John Buscema’s work more and more.  Perhaps it’s due to some of the pretentious dealers I knew here in the UK, back in the 70s, who had a constantly-snobbish air that BWS’ artwork, which, while I’d agree was excellent comic art from a young creator with tremendous potential, was, in their opinion, the absolute pinnacle of fine art in the medium.  Certainly one of the greats of the field, but I’ve always tried to be somewhat more grounded about my comics.

Essential Conan reading.

Have you considered reading "Barbarian Life" along with the comics? It's commentary by Thomas about the comics (from Amazon): "In this first of two volumes, Roy Thomas explains the creative process behind the first 51 issues of Conan the Barbarian. You'll look over his shoulder as he plots and scripts each issue, devises new adventures for Conan that expand Howard's original stories into a world-spanning epic, and works with such Conan artists as Barry Smith, Gil Kane, and John Buscema."

I picked this up from Amazon and had Thomas sign and do a head sketch in it last year. I want to read it alongside with the comics, when I get to them.

conan.png

Quickly got through the Star Wars: TIE Fighter mini series. Interesting premise - the entire story is from the point of view of a five pilot TIE Fighter squadron. The story takes place between ESB and ROTJ. There were some interesting nuggets, but the series was just too short. I didn't realize it was a companion story to the new Alphabet Squadron novel/trilogy, which is getting good reviews.

Up next - Squadron Supreme TPB. I've finished the intros and the first issue. Review to come at the end.

20201020_062900.jpg

1019-1022

Four of my current subscriptions.  
Bounty Hunters is the only current Star Wars series I’m getting right now.   Story is decent and the art is okay.   My favorite thing about the title is all the different background lore crammed in there.

Three Jokers is pretty good and I can’t wait to see where the story goes.

The Boys Dear Becky is the title in most excited to get every month.   I can’t get enough of Ennis’s world and Wee Hughie’s attempt to navigate it.  

Stranger Things Science Camp Was mistakenly added to my pull list but as my kids are fans of the show, I decided to keep it.   I can’t believe how glad I am about that decision.  Fun story that adds some details to the show.    The big bad of this series so far seems to really Match up with what was scaring kids in the 90’s.   Can’t wait to read more of Dustin’s adventures .  

F51D8E00-7FD2-4A2F-AD36-4DEFE1FD6B13.jpeg

12 hours ago, srezvan said:

Up next - Squadron Supreme TPB. I've finished the intros and the first issue. Review to come at the end

I can’t recommend the 80s series highly enough.  One of the underrated gems of that decade.  The GN is very good as well, and the later stuff from the 2000s worth a read.

394 to 413

Secret Wars Part 5 -  Time Runs Out

(Avengers 35 to 44 and New Avengers 24 to 33, 20 issues in total)

Doctor Doom appears to start getting involved at a late stage in the crisis, although he’s actually been doing a lot more behind the scenes for quite a while.

The cause of the collapse of the multiverse is revealed.

The galactic empires turn on humanity.

The 616 and Ultimate universes come into contact with each other.

Finally, the Avengers and Beyonders meet.

There’s the realisation that whole universes can’t be saved, but maybe some scraps, some fragments might be.

Oversimplified summary of a much more complex storyline, more great stuff from Hickman.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1023-1030

Plugging away at my monthly’s and random back issue pulls.

Of note was the FCBD Jack Kirby issue.  It was really enjoyable and now I need the buy the complete story.   Jack Kirby has an awesome story and it’s cool to be learning more about him.

Transformers/Back the Future is ridiculous as I expected, but still fun. 

Hellions isn’t great, but is interesting enough to keep me snagging the title off the shelf, but not enough to get a subscription.  

I’m  really digging Abrams’ take on Spiderman and am getting stir crazy waiting for the next one.  

The Champions are fun, but how many times can the (blank) superheroes need to register or be outlawed story line be rehashed?

Im still in on Bendis’s DC run.   He’s doing some neat things but sometime the JRR art takes away from the enjoyment in getting in Superman.

Savage Avengers are still hangin in there but the luster is slowly wearing off.  I’ll keep with it for a little longer and see where things go with them  

6C764A64-825C-4A57-9B12-601A5C4156DD.jpeg

AA08099C-E76E-4CA4-BAB7-B946828CC724.jpeg

1031-1032

We Only Find Them When They’re Dead 1 and 2

A new one added to my pull list.  I mean a story about floating dead space gods being mined for resources by a draconian bureaucracy?   Sign me up.   First issue got me hooked. And I’m looking forward to learning about the universe Ewing is creating.59338CE3-A716-425A-A316-85392C9A18FD.thumb.jpeg.a4654f7639e93f5a40c27f38f0d07a0d.jpeg

4 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

I mean a story about floating dead space gods being mined for resources by a draconian bureaucracy?   Sign me up.  

Ewing's one of my favourite writers.  I'll have a look at this.

Sounds very much like Knowhere in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edited by Ken Aldred

34 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Ewing's one of my favourite writers.  I'll have a look at this.

Sounds very much like Knowhere in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Haven’t dug into Knowhere yet.   I think I have it sitting in a box somewhere.  Lol.  I’ll have to move it up the queue. 

391-399

Fire Power 4

I like this story pretty fun still.

Wolverine 6

I never really read a lot of Wolverine but thus is an awesome series so far!

Thor 7-8

Again I never have read many Thor books. This is another series that Im liking. And this issue reveals Tony Starks phone  number...give it a call!

Nightwing 75

I was only getting this for the Joker War tie in but I might stick with it. The start of this new story line seems promising because KGBeast wants to finish the job.

Batman 100 
Joker War finale...kind of a let down.

Detective Comics 1027 and 1028

1027 was a decent anniversary issue, and 1028 was a cool one shot before a new arc.

Foxhole 5

Cool war book, again this is something out of my wheel house. But war books seem hot right now and it had a Simon and Kirby cover.

84D4C8D1-4716-487B-87A7-6670A6723381.jpeg

C98428CC-AC5F-4DD9-A9EB-1861A5605B41.jpeg

D59EAC0B-4E20-498F-B090-621940520F9D.jpeg

Edited by Raze

414 to 422

Secret Wars part 6 : main series

9 issues (plus a very short #0)

Doom acquires the power to save fragments of the remaining universes and merges them together into a world that he rules over with his usual dictatorial attitude, enforced by the Thor Corps, the Thors from all surviving parallel universes.  A few heroes from the 616 and Ultimate universes also survive by using ‘lifeboat’ spaceships, as do The Cabal.

At the end of Secret Wars 2, Doom’s world is called Battleworld for the first time, and a map of the parallel universe fragments making it up is shown, the obvious point to start reading the many tie-in mini series along with continuing with part of the main series (3 to 6), except for the Siege mini, which ties into and follows on from Secret Wars 6, and the Ultimate End series, which I read before Secret Wars 9.

This worked for me...

Secret Wars 0, 1, 2

Battleworld mini-series and Secret Wars 3, 4, 5, 6

Siege mini-series

Secret Wars 7, 8

Ultimate End mini-series

Secret Wars 9

My all-time favourite comic book event; complex, engaging storytelling, many high quality mini-series.  Highest possible recommendation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/29/2020 at 7:26 PM, Raze said:

TMNT The Last Ronin 1

Great action packed issue with intrigue.

EFE6306E-E59F-4C10-825E-F853444F7A35.jpeg

I love this issue.   Only complaint was the dimensions of the book.    But the story was great!    I did spend the whole book trying to figure out who he was, and had narrowed it down by the reveal to two of them.   
cant wait for the next one.