• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

#'s 94-98

Star Wars Age of Republic Villains TPB; collects Star Wars Age of Republic- Count Dooku, Darth Maul, General Grievous, Jango Fett, and Star Wars: Age of Republic Special.

Provides some back stories to some of the villains from the Age of the Republic. Storylines flowed smoothly, and the art was a great match to the stories.

#'s 99-102

Crossed the first 100 book threshold!

Star Wars Age of Resistance Villains TPB; collects Star Wars Age of Resistance- Captain Phasma, General Hux, Kylo Ren, & Supreme Leader Snoke. It also included besides pages of the variant covers like all trades do, some preliminary page sketches for some of the stories.

The art matched the high quality storylines no problem. Each character's missing scene backstory if you will was more powerful than the last. Kylo Ten trying to do something Vader didn't get to finish, the backstory as to General Hux's childhood and how did Supreme Leader Snoke know about Dagobah when he took Ren to the cave? 

Have to admit, still find it a little hard to see Domhnall Gleeson easily shed his Bill Weasley character to take on the character General Hux. Fun fact, the character that played Madeye Moody was Domhnall's actual father.

I have one question though, why can't DC Comics make Harry Potter comics? They own the rights to Warner Brothers properties. I can imagine a DC Harry Potter plus nearly infinite other series could give Marvel as well as Star Wars a run for its money. Just a thought. 

22 hours ago, cgcsketcherz said:

Um, there are three doctors?

Many more than that.  

This thread is a lot of fun. I keep adding books to my MyComicShop Want List. I've had a chance to get some reading done:

• Black Order: The Warmasters of Thanos TPB (Collects #1-5)  - 3 stars out of 5, more details in spoiler tag below
Spoiler

I liked the characters from the movie. Unfortunately, turns out, this story has no connection to the MCU. I had trouble figuring out when this fit in with the movie until it hit me that they don't connect in plot, just some overlapping characters. I liked the way the story was told from different perspectives, but some parts of the plot just bothered me and some costumes looked very "90s."

• Kingdom Come #1 - 4 - 5 stars out of 5, as most people probably already know. I've never been a DC fan, but I've always loved Alex Ross. The only thing that bothers me is that the later released compilation includes additional material. I read the original 4 books.
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four #21 - 23 (Marvel Zombies 1st appearance) - 4 stars out of 5 - I'm a big fan of Greg Land and I wanted to see where the whole Marvel Zombie business started. It's only a 3 issue arc, so the story was a bit rushed, but I enjoyed it.
  • Star Wars: Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost #1 - #6 - 4 stars out of 5, more details in the spoiler tag below

Spoiler

The first miniseries was by far the best - I've always loved the Royal Guards. The second series was rough. This was in the middle. The introduction to the story was interesting - describing why there was a 10 year publishing delay between the 2nd and 3rd series. Intriguing story line with several threads.

Next up - Magneto Testament.

93 to 98 

Marvels 0, 1 to 4, Epilogue

Very good story, capturing the confusion of onlookers watching the fights between the super-powered, from the POV of an ordinary individual, Phil Sheldon, who's a journalist articulate enough to verbally describe the conflicts as well as being an extremely-skilled photographer.  The art by Alex Ross is a perfect, photorealistic match for the comic story, the narrator and his photo images, with some fantastic camera angles and perspectives throughout.  Busiek captures the capriciousness, conflict and uncertainty of the public,  sometimes gazing in admiration and wonder at the super-powered, being emotionally manipulated, back-and-forth, by media spin, and often scared both by the collateral battle damage and the possibility that the mutates and mutants might replace them as a superior form of humankind.  

Recommended.

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 minutes ago, Raze said:

180-181 

Thor 332-333

Fun story featuring Dracula. Dracula turns Sif into a Vampire and Thor saves her is the short of it.

This was recommended by @Readcomix Thanks Gene!

B61410FE-67A3-488B-B76A-43AA020BB72F.jpeg

Glad you liked it! This one's under the radar and better than most of Drac's actual forays into mainstream Marvel herodom ... though Dr Strange 60 is pretty cool....when Dr Strange turns to the Avengers to help slow him down so Doc can take him out .... That story and this Thor battle show how formidable Dracula can be.

276-304

Crossed the 300 mark with some of my subscriptions and the Original Sin series.

Far Sector 1-5

I’m really glad I picked up Far Sector.  Love the idea of a Green Lantern pretty cut off from the rest of the Corps who has to avoid relying on her ring to solve her problems.  I really love the art and style of this series as well.

Savage Avengers

I think I mentioned it before, but if I didn’t, I thought Savage Avengers sounded ridiculous when I first heard about it.   Now I’m hooked. Conan fits fine into the Marvel Universe, especially with Dr. Strange. Looking forward to how the story progresses.

Frostbite 1

Honestly I didn’t know anything about this when I snagged it out of the dollar bin.  But it was vertigo and I took a gamble. It was pretty interesting and now I need to hunt down the rest of the series.   I’m always a sucker for post apoc stories. 

The Cimmerian 1-2

I was surprised when these were in my box, as last I heard was they weren’t going to happen.  If you are a Conan fan, you should look at reading these. Very well done.

Ghost Spider 7-8, Legion of Superheroes 4-5, Once and Future 7

Not to much to say about these except that I’m still enjoying them.   Once and Future is probably my favorite title right now. Ghost Spider is pretty fun and scratches the superhero itch really well.  Of all my monthlies, I’d say legion is probably the weakest. I like Bendis’s writing, but i’ve never been a huge Legion fan.

Original Sin 0-8, Annual, Iron Man v Hulk 

I’d put off on reading this for a while as I was missing a few issues.  Well I finally filled in the gaps so sat down and binged it. It was pretty, meh.   I mean I didn’t hate it, but wasn’t a fan of some of the character choices, or the “reveals” that seems to constantly occur in Marvel’s “event” books.   Oh well.

Tokyo Storm Warning 1-2

I like Ellis’s writing and I like Kaiju and Giant Robots.   It almost was as if the creators of Pacific Rim had read this series.  lol

277371B1-2FBE-48FE-B6BC-D0384F1A7046.jpeg

26922AA4-1E9D-4582-A72B-90D905B2CCE4.jpeg

5373BED8-12E0-44A6-AA63-642C8A8E56C2.jpeg

4A9DE53B-2F0B-4F8C-BD92-C86321117D57.jpeg

4D037E63-DA81-402C-9604-B8A193835B12.jpeg

5394B15E-F86C-474D-B985-9C945B6B3A1F.jpeg

a trio of favorites: #214-250

Goon #1-7 (one of my favorite characters, need a few Goon inspired laughs these days)

Criminal #5-12 (one of my favorite creators, Ed Brubaker)

Fables #131-150 (one of my favorite series, bought this off the rack from #6-149, waited to find a cheap #150 and then mysteriously let the last issues sit for years until now)

Edited by paperheart

Can I please get a consensus vote from (OP has the grand ruling!!!)

@AlexH @DavidTheDavid @Talapas1 @Norinn Radd @Ken Aldred @theCapraAegagrus @s-man

1) Im going to read a GA book that is 52 pages. Does this count as 1 or 2 books? Only asking because @AlexH said standard 22 page.

2) Im also wanting to read a copper series Invasion 1-3, but all 3 books are 80 pages apiece. So is that 1 book? Or 4 books? Meaning if I read 1-3 is that 12 books or 3 books toward my total count?

Thanks guys I just want to be fair!

Tim Holt 34 

This is another @Readcomix sugguestion! The 2 Horror stories were great! There was The flower women which was pretty good, Its about a man who takes some flowers that a cursed from an Indian reservation, takes them home to plant. The flowers release a gas and he sees beautiful women. He's wife gets jealous that he is spending time with the flowers and tries to kill him, but he kills her. Then she comes back to life and kills him.

The other is Had Boiled Harry

just read it hear, 6 total pages.

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=2764

Scan 2020-4-14 21.53.07.jpg

Edited by Raze
Pics or it didn't happen, hahahaha

6 hours ago, Raze said:

@AlexH @DavidTheDavid @Talapas1 @Norinn Radd @Ken Aldred @theCapraAegagrus @s-man

1) Im going to read a GA book that is 52 pages. Does this count as 1 or 2 books? Only asking because @AlexH said standard 22 page.

2) Im also wanting to read a copper series Invasion 1-3, but all 3 books are 80 pages apiece. So is that 1 book? Or 4 books? Meaning if I read 1-3 is that 12 books or 3 books toward my total count?

lol this post is too serious for this topic. It's all just a fun challenge. However...

1. One comic book is 1 comic book. I think the original idea was 22 pages minimum counted as 1 book. I definitely cheated already and counted some 10-page minis as 1 book.
  2. 3 books.

I’ve interpreted the situation as whatever format and page count was originally published. For example, Marvels 0 and Epilogue are very short, Wizard 0 type books, whereas Marvels 1 to 4 are larger prestige format length books; 6 in total. 

A 52 or 100 page Bronze Age DC counts as one item, and I’d place the long Invasion books that were mentioned in this category as well.

Another complication occurs with  Masterwork and Archive collections.  In most cases, the original issues with covers are fully reproduced and counting them individually is easy, as with the Werewolf by Night Collection that I read recently.  I also treat oversized annuals as one item.

Having OCD, an interesting point to analyse.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Yeah, count a comic as a comic regardless of pages. Mainly, it's fun to see what people are reading. I like Ken's reviews. I'm usually posting from my phone and not up for summarizing what I read. But I like seeing the variety and just participating in the activity. Considering the state of world affairs, I've had a hard time concentrating, and my reading, both comics and long-form prose, has taken a hit.

The great Fantagraphics EC collections are more difficult to quantify, as they reprint the work of a single artist rather than complete, individual issues as with the Russ Cochran / Gemstone versions.  Do you count 4 of the stories together as the equivalent of one original comic issue, or treat the entire volume as one item? The latter contradicts what I suggested about Masterworks, Archives, Epic Collections and the like, to some extent.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

The great Fantagraphics EC collections are more difficult to quantify, as they reprint the work of a single artist rather than complete, individual issues as with the Russ Cochran / Gemstone versions.  Do you count 4 of the stories together as the equivalent of one original comic issue, or treat the entire volume as one item? The latter contradicts what I suggested about Masterworks, Archives, Epic Collections and the like, to some extent.

If I read 4 of the EC stories Id count it as 1 book. But with the masterpiece books I would count each book within the volume as one book. So if there is six books and one volume I would count that is six books.

@theCapraAegagrus I was trying to have fun to lighten things up and generally thought it was a question to ask. 😆

so I’ll count the books as one book which is what I was thinking about doing anyway glad everyone had fun with this!!! Thanks for chiming in!

16 hours ago, Raze said:

My way of thinking about what counts as 1 "book" is that if its a single issue (weather be 20 pages or 200) than its one book.  If its a tpb, then its however many issues are represented in that one tpb (ie. X-Men tpb with issues 1-10 = 10 books read). In the case of the Invasion 1-3, I personally would count them as 3 books.  But as others have said this is for fun anyway, so count them the way you want!