• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If they compile the Hill House comics into TPB/HC, I will have to check them out.

Ive finished 2 of them. I would pass on dollhouse family, but basketful of heads is fun! 
I haven’t started low low woods or the plunge. I like to read the complete story at one time as opposed to reading books monthly.

Some random reads. Marvel Fanfare #4 was a suggestion from the boards. It was a fun slug fest, Hulk vs. Blob and Unus the Untouchable. Marvel Team-up #65 & #66. First US appearance of Captain Britain and first appearance of Arcade. A pretty straight-forward superhero story of good guys vs. bad guys.

20200531_201618.jpg

On 5/15/2020 at 1:04 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

I LOVE that series. I was a new father who was also struggling with depression when I read it. It resonated rather deeply with me.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:41 PM, Talapas1 said:

I’m not a new father, but I was, once upon a time.  And seeing depression laid out like that was very real.    Scott and Barda’s relationship seemed very relatable (as relatable as two planet hopping war gods can be) in that their arguments seemed real and anger felt legitimate.  It’s hard to explain, but rarely do superhero relationships seem that authentic.

What was your opinion about what was actually going on in the series? There are various theories online, and a couple, IIRC, in the thread over in Modern.

12 minutes ago, Raze said:

First story was good but the rest were ok

Just had a look on GCD.  I thought it was the one with the Wally Wood atom bomb story.

Completely wrong.  That was Two-Fisted Tales 33.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, Ken Aldred said:

What was your opinion about what was actually going on in the series? There are various theories online, and a couple, IIRC, in the thread over in Modern.

I'm not sure.  I'm still figuring out DC continuity so I don't know if the mini series is canon.  Or is it set in the near future?   It seems like it takes place over a decent amount of time so it feels like that would make sense.   I don't think it all took place in his mind.  The drone and drag and jumping forward in time really felt like how life with depression could feel.   If I had to choose a theory that I like, it would be that this was a future elseworlds take rather than something all in Scott's head.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:08 PM, Talapas1 said:

...Marvels X and Marvel:  I really enjoyed Earth X and Marvels so anything that calls back to those is automatically on my radar.   Really enjoyed the Marvels X premise and I’m sure by the time the series wraps up, I will be revisiting the Earth X series.    Marvel was cool as I really like stand alone stories and love the multiple stories in one book premise.   These two will be added to the pull list...

D1F32F89-C7AE-4ADA-9366-C5F63298F4A6.jpeg

Did Alex Ross do the interior art for Marvels X?

146 to 153

Hour of the Dragon, reprinting Giant-Size Conan 1 to 4, Savage Sword of Conan 8 and 10, Conan Annual 4 and 5.

Roy Thomas’ adaptation of Robert E Howard’s 'Conan the Conqueror' novel.

The first three Giant-Size issues are the most impressive art-wise, with excellent Gil Kane pencils brilliantly enhanced by Tom Sutton’s inking; ultra-detailed and a grimy, earthy quality to the finish which perfectly suits the Dark Age setting of the material.

The Kane art in the fourth Giant-Size is still good, first somewhat softened by Frank Springer’s inking, and then, in the later pages, thankfully just about surviving Vince Colletta’s attempt at erasing and ruining the pencils.

Excellent remastered art and colouring up to this stage.

The final two sections of the original REH story were published in black-and-white in Savage Sword magazine, and the colouring here is very disappointing.  In issue 8, Kane’s last, there’s poor inking and, for me, some absolutely terrible, muddy, dull colouring.  In issue 10, pencilled by John Buscema, the art’s fine, but the colouring is a bit washed out.

The story adaptation is a page turner though, and classic Bronze Age Marvel sword-and-sorcery.

The two Conan Annuals are Roy Thomas’ continuation of REH’s novel, more about Conan’s reclamation of the kingdom of Aquilonia, the last attempts by his rivals at getting rid of him, and his relationship with the former harem slave girl and eventual queen, Zenobia.

Again, perfectly readable Bronze Age Conan.  Being from colour newsprint books, the remastering of John Buscema and Ernie Chan’s art is back up to an excellent standard.

Recommended, but with a caveat about patchy, remastered art in places.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, srezvan said:

X-Men God Loves, Man Kills from 1982. Great story that still holds up today.

20200608_091931.jpg

I was at the age as a kid where I could start grasping social issues when this book was published, and it had a deep impact on me. Just seeing that cover stirs those same feelings I had reading it. 

98-101

The Crack Comics I bought for the cover, but it's fun to see modern takes on a classic comic. The Immortal Hulk I bought because I'm just wowed by Ross's covers on this title, but the story was quite good, too. I read the first 20 or so of these and was really impressed with the writing. If this issue is any indication, it's maintaining that quality, which is tough for 30+ issues.

I bought the Amethyst comics with the same mild chagrin I had as a kid buying the 80's series. I told the clerk not to laugh at me or I would cry and not come back. He pointed at me and laughed anyway. Then I cried for a while, but I still like the comics. They remind me of Ken Garing's recent Gogor series. The main character is really well written, the plot is intriguing, the art is compelling, and it's been a fun series so far.

comics.jpg

Edited by DavidTheDavid