• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who's got the absolute coolest signed book?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Not the best but something I recently acquired. I’m trying to put a value on it: Star Wars #1 (30 cent variant) signed and remarked by Archie Goodwin. Any info would help from any Star Wars fans.

CB99E836-119E-46E9-BA46-13161AA20D20.jpeg

On 1/4/2020 at 3:47 PM, nyalboguy said:

Not the best but something I recently acquired. I’m trying to put a value on it: Star Wars #1 (30 cent variant) signed and remarked by Archie Goodwin. Any info would help from any Star Wars fans.

That's not a variant. 30 cents was the regular price. The 35 cent copies (non-reprint copies) are the variants.

Edited by Jeffro.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:47 PM, nyalboguy said:

1. need to grade the book.  take a bunch of pics and post them in the 'please grade my comic' section.  Get a grade from helpful strangers.

2.  Value the book without the signature - Look on ebay SOLD items for copies of the comic in similar grade.  Get an idea, be conservative.

3.  Research how much the signature is worth - compare SOLD prices for books on ebay for similar books with and without Archie signatures.  (looks between $10 to $25 to me).  BUT it looks like the signature is PERSONALIZED, which should drive the value down.  So good luck, it might be worth less than an unsigned comic unless you find the right specific buyer.

4.  Add up 2 and 3. Boom.  Of course different venues sell for different prices and have different associated fees.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, nyalboguy said:

In addition to what the others above have already said-

I don't see the remark? Or did you mean the "John, Best Wishes" - which is an inscription, not a remark. Not a lot of Archie Goodwin signed comics out there, but there isn't very much demand for an underrated comic book writer/editor. Also, while Goodwin wrote a lot of Star Wars comics, I don't think Archie Goodwin worked on Star Wars #1? 

So while what you have is kinda rare, probably very few buyers out there who would pay a premium for a mid-grade Star Wars #1 signed on the cover and inscribed by someone who didn't work on that particular issue. Just my guess. 

Edited by eee91

11 hours ago, eee91 said:

In addition to what the others above have already said-

I don't see the remark? Or did you mean the "John, Best Wishes" - which is an inscription, not a remark. Not a lot of Archie Goodwin signed comics out there, but there isn't very much demand for an underrated comic book writer/editor. Also, while Goodwin wrote a lot of Star Wars comics, I don't think Archie Goodwin worked on Star Wars #1? 

So while what you have is kinda rare, probably very few buyers out there who would pay a premium for a mid-grade Star Wars #1 signed on the cover and inscribed by someone who didn't work on that particular issue. Just my guess. 

I know. I'm thinking of selling it.  I'm not sure what a good price would be.  Maybe I should just throw it out there as an eBay auction and hope for the best.