• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commissioning the original artist to recreate a cover.

37 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

That is an interesting take... So in your opinion if someone who can not afford or find the OA for one of their favorite covers a recreation by the same artist who made the original is not interesting?

Correct.

12 minutes ago, vodou said:

Correct.

I can see your point that it misses the opportunity of being unique. For the same amount you could request a cover that captures a likeness but with a personal touch of inspiration inspired either by the artist or yourself. As the original cover is a one of a kind, now so is the reimagining. You have talked me out of getting a one to one. You are so wise. Was looking to get a 1st Issue Special featuring the Warlord by Grell. I think I will let the Dinosaur win on this cover. 

52 minutes ago, vodou said:

lol

Now there's a theme - no joke - re-imaginings where the villain "wins"!

There's a guy who collects 'One Minute Later' re-imagined covers. * 

Your idea is a sure-fire winner.  'One minute later . . . the good guys get creamed!'.  ^^

*  Oops, just caught up with the rest of the comments on this thread and see he's already been given a mention (memo to myself:  read all the comments before wading-in with an opinion).

Edited by The Voord
updated myself on previous comments

6 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I can see your point that it misses the opportunity of being unique. For the same amount you could request a cover that captures a likeness but with a personal touch of inspiration inspired either by the artist or yourself. As the original cover is a one of a kind, now so is the reimagining. You have talked me out of getting a one to one. You are so wise. Was looking to get a 1st Issue Special featuring the Warlord by Grell. I think I will let the Dinosaur win on this cover. 

Hehe.   1:1 recreations are hard for me to get excited about as well because, what’s it supposed to be, a copy of something it’s not?   No amount of perfect copying will ever make it the original so what’s the point?   I think you get better commission results generally speaking when you let the artist do it slightly differently too.    There’s nothing creative about and no commercial purpose in a complete re-do and I think you see it in the results.   

Besides, what does a perfect copy even mean?   It’s never going to look right.   It’s not going to have the period markings on the margin (unless you put those there, really?) and not going to have the aging and the whited out mistakes and the other things that make the real deal look the way it looks.   

Edited by Bronty

Playing the Devil's advocate, what if the artist did four of the same thing - with some differences? Click to read more.
1893.thumb.jpg.e7eb7aab06c7c3aa58210b0572b2ec2d.jpg

Or a lithograph

7703981_Lithograph1895.jpg.5fea29a39ec1ccb0f9f2cdd6a60c679b.jpg

or just a sketch that was reminiscent?

Certainly these are not identical, but is anything?

In any case, someone was willing to commission an artist to recreate a piece (or the artist saw a chance to make a buck or thought each improved in some way, who knows?).

Perhaps it might be more fun to ask an artist to do a “competitive” recreation. That would mean the artist is to take the same subject matter as in the original, including anything which seems important, and to do a redesign which the artist thinks is better suited to the subject than the original.

I have seen some line for line recreations that are great looking pieces of art. They are bold, look great on the wall, and can be high quality and inexpensive if you go the route of an artist like Bruce M (as mentioned above). Early on, I was sure I would get a few done once I decided exactly what I wanted. As time wore on, I never really felt a strong pull to get one done and there was always something else I was more excited about to take my money. I won’t say I will never get one, but it is not on my radar any more.

I much prefer a reinterpretation to a pure recreation. A good one will be clearly evident to the viewer what the art is based on (assuming the viewer knows the subject matter) but will also be clear that it is the artist’s take/homage to the original. I absolutely love Michael’s OML gallery.

I can think of a couple of covers that were originally done digitally, but the artist does also work in physical media, where I'd be interested in having them recreate the cover for me. Would need to be pretty iconic or personally important to be worth the effort though!