• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commissioning the original artist to recreate a cover.

37 posts in this topic

I have been flirting with this idea for a while now and have some covers and and several artists in mind. My question is when getting a cover recreation by the original artist is there any tracing involved? I have seen some that are super tight and look on point with the original and others that are a close match but you can tell it was done using the original as a reference. 

I think that depends on the artist. 

You should ask what/how they plan to work-most like to talk about process, and then build out on what you'd like from there.

I've only had one recreation done-after facilitating the sale of the original to a friend. The artist in question asked to take the opportunity to 'correct' imperfection that he saw in the original. I was good with that as I don't ever want anyone to mistake it for the original. In the end, although it's not worth as much as the original piece I think visually it's a better piece, and it's one large sheet instead of two 11x17s taped together.

It’s up to the individual. I would not want a “spot on” line for line recreation. Ever.

Now something that captures that moment, represents the essence of that original creation is what stirs me.

Ive seen great work where I said, “ I know what that is or what that’s from.”

Not drawn line for line but done in a way that reimagines that previous conjuring.

Whatever you like though! It’s totally up to what would make y o u happy!!

I think with re-creations by the original artists, for me it's the end-result that matters - not so much the processes involved in getting there.

If you're looking for a re-creation that includes logo and captions, you need to ensure the artist in question can successfully pull-off the lettering - which is a real skill in itself.  Over the years I've seen lots of re-created covers that are painful to look at simply because the attempts at lettering are clumsily performed and can actually ruin the overall image.

Also, is the artist up to the task of replicating the quality of the original line-work?  Styles can change over time, as can abilities.  For example, D**k Ayers and Mike Esposito were doing cover re-creations late in their respective careers where, sadly and quite clearly, their best years were long behind them.

Up until several years ago, I'd always been a bit wary about having re-creations done - mainly for the aforementioned potential problems highlighted.  Then I discovered the work of Bruce McCorkindale - who had a chameleon-like skill in adapting an original artist's style.  For the lettering, Bruce would simply incorporate printed-out elements directly onto the page, tidying things up where necessary.  I ended-up having a total of 27 classic cover re-creations performed by Bruce which can be viewed on my CAF:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=169364

Not sure what Bruce's current rates are, but I was paying between $200 - 250 per large-art cover re-creation.  Here's one of the last ones I ordered:

yADpPekD_020717191612lola.jpg

Edited by The Voord

I have been thinking of asking Sy Barry about doing a recreation of the cover of Phantom Stranger 4 or 6 from 1952-1953, but that is because he is the last surviving artist from that book, apparently (disputed) artist on them, and I have never heard of any of the OA from that series surviving. Infantino is credited with 1-3 (which you can tell from the work), Barry told me he did 4-6, so who knows? Not sure if I would ask for him to do the logo’s or just give him one to trace from.

I had one done and couldn’t be happier- The Thing 5 was one of the first comics given to me as a child. I tracked the OA down for it but the owner wanted over 10k for it. Not something I could swing or thought was fair market. So I reached out to Ron Wilson and for a couple hundred have my own hanging up. Personally I think it is a great way to enjoy the art without footing the big bill. That being said who the artist is the most important thing.. and will they even do it? 

C913EA7B-DE45-428E-BB40-F7C60FCA0800.jpeg

488E0CD9-A63B-4CC8-8EBE-F2B6B4CB7469.jpeg

12 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I have been flirting with this idea for a while now and have some covers and and several artists in mind. My question is when getting a cover recreation by the original artist is there any tracing involved? I have seen some that are super tight and look on point with the original and others that are a close match but you can tell it was done using the original as a reference. 

Even John Byrne, the art collector, gets recreations. But, he makes sure to request that there is a subtle, recognizable, difference in the piece to delineate that it is a recreation and not the original. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I've had three recreations done.

Russ Heath did two (click for bigger picture) which (as I understand it) he lightboxed and painted.
image.thumb.png.7df77dcf1df9f45aee023fb91e9505c9.pngimage.png.27c35ac1d3988a0069663e05568e5c15.png

Thom Zahler (re)did this for me. I believe that it too is a lightbox. Thom works digitally for his comic so there is (almost) no original art for Love and Capes.

image.thumb.png.6312543043b67d3b891c04d6f764e2d9.png

I didn't really care how they did it; I just wanted the image by the original creator.

1 minute ago, alxjhnsn said:

I've had three recreations done.

Russ Heath did two (click for bigger picture) which (as I understand it) he lightboxed and painted.
image.thumb.png.7df77dcf1df9f45aee023fb91e9505c9.pngimage.png.27c35ac1d3988a0069663e05568e5c15.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

Thom Zahler (re)did this for me. I believe that it too is a lightbox. Thom works digitally for his comic so there is (almost) no original art for Love and Capes.

image.thumb.png.6312543043b67d3b891c04d6f764e2d9.png

I didn't really care how they did it; I just wanted the image by the original creator.

I do not believe mine was Light Boxed.. as you can see quite a few differences if you look for them, like spideys left leg and where she hulk is cut off. One thing Ron said to me was I gave him a lot of time to do it right. 

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

Same.  I just got one from mike decarlo and another from tom grummet.   Beats paying 50k each for the originals and scratches the itch.  Got minor modifications from the originals of things i preferred to see.  

14 minutes ago, vodou said:

Definitely way more fun than the overpriced photocopies that are dead ringers for the original. BO-ring.

That is an interesting take... So in your opinion if someone who can not afford or find the OA for one of their favorite covers a recreation by the same artist who made the original is not interesting?

On 1/1/2020 at 9:48 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Free hand, light box, printed blue-line and new ink are all common. To avoid disappointment, talk!

I would be remiss not to include the fantastic re-creation gifted to me by luck of the draw from Toro my secret Santa. No clue who the artist is but great nonetheless!

135F9857-540A-4B8A-B6E0-A9609B4C5020.thumb.jpeg.269f2057760f077757fb7407b5e0498f.jpeg

Edited by Blastaar

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I would be remiss not to include the fantastic re-creation gifted to me by luck of the draw from Toro my secret Santa. No clue who the artist is but great nonetheless!

As mentioned above, Greg Woronchak. You can reach him here: https://gwor23.wixsite.com/comic. He's done a lot of these.