• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Killing Joke With Color Touch?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Got a killing Joke and was looking it over when I spotted something odd on the back top corner of the spine.It seems like a small price was chipped of during production. I looked at it with a light and cannot figure out if it is color touch or not. I am not familiar with these type of books, have not seen a bunch of killing jokes in hand. Hopefully someone here can let me know.

IMG_20200101_223219.jpg

IMG_20200101_223125.jpg

IMG_20200101_223257.jpg

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Man, it’s hard to tell for sure because the really up close pics are a bit blurry, but it looks like it’s color touch.  Did it bleed through?

There is no bleed threw under the chipped area. But along the side edge there looks to be a tiny black dot. 

Its so small and even with a standard magnifying glass I cant tell what it is.

At first I was thinking it was the under part of the cover due to how thick it is but like i said i have not really looked at a lot of killing jokes in person to know.

15 minutes ago, grayzr said:

No but I just wanted to know if it was restored. It seems crazy to me that someone would do this to a book from 88.

Even New Mutants #87, #98 and Batman Adventures #12 from 90's

There are 408 restored ASM #300 from '88 too.

Edited by JollyComics

5 hours ago, grayzr said:

No but I just wanted to know if it was restored. It seems crazy to me that someone would do this to a book from 88.

Why would that be crazy? By 1988 there were already uber-condition oriented, mint crazy consumers when it came to picking out their new issues. If you have the type of book that is very subject to manufacturing corner defect, color flacked off, or the edge of a spine with flaked abrasions at the hinge, a vendor could have easily taken a marking pen to them, and I'm sure some, though thankfully, a small number, did.

That stated, this book certainly appears to be a victim of the marking pen just going by pictures alone.

Edited by James J Johnson

Looking at the 3rd picture, it looks like the black goes onto the edge of the cover.  Can't tell for sure if there is glare that makes it appear that way.  I'll check my ungraded copies tomorrow and see if any of them look like that.

BTW, that book, if it is not color touch, still not a good candidate for grading.  CGC is very hard on this book.  The back cover flaws really show, as well as finger prints, and they hammer that.

Out of curiosity I spent some time looking over copies on eBay.

Although it is hard to see in pictures due to the light having to hit the book just right I have come across a few books with the exact same issue.

Since I did not pay much for the book I decided to go crazy and peel a very small piece of the glossy part near the corner with the suspected color touch.

Turned out under that it was also black, and looks identical to the other black area with suspected color touch.

After looking over the book with magnification/very good lighting it is 100% not color touch IMO.

Under the glossy surface of the outside cover there is a black layer and that is seen in the images  I posted.

I would like to thank everyone who replied and apologize for wasting everyone's time.

2 hours ago, grayzr said:

Out of curiosity I spent some time looking over copies on eBay.

Although it is hard to see in pictures due to the light having to hit the book just right I have come across a few books with the exact same issue.

Since I did not pay much for the book I decided to go crazy and peel a very small piece of the glossy part near the corner with the suspected color touch.

Turned out under that it was also black, and looks identical to the other black area with suspected color touch.

After looking over the book with magnification/very good lighting it is 100% not color touch IMO.

Under the glossy surface of the outside cover there is a black layer and that is seen in the images  I posted.

I would like to thank everyone who replied and apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Not a waste of time.  It is good information on this book.

13 hours ago, aszumilo said:

Not a waste of time.  It is good information on this book.

Good point. I Have been collecting for around 15 years, seen this book hundreds of times but never owned nor examined one up close before.

This issue doesn't seem to be very common but I was able to find a few both raw and graded with the same problem.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:08 AM, Shoomanfoo said:

Yes it is color touch. 

That's what I thought. The outer layer of paper has a glossy coat, but they color-touched the matte-surface underlayer, which is why that color touched underlayer looks more like dark charcoal colored than the jet black of the unflaked glossy area. You could see that they were two completely different textures.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

That's what I thought. The outer layer of paper has a glossy coat, but they color-touched the matte-surface underlayer, which is why that color touched underlayer looks more like dark charcoal colored than the jet black of the unflaked glossy area. You could see that they were two completely different textures.

The flash and angle I took the picture makes it look brighter and uneven.