• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your single best comic?
9 9

150 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, october said:

I have a rotating cast of about a dozen favorites. These are up there....and now that I look at them, they all have very similar layouts. hm

tec 31.jpg

001 (55).jpg

001 (240).jpg

I too LOVE this layout that you speak of and totally understand and appreciate it as well!! Simple yet elegant and dynamic as all holy get up!! Large Logo and Large character on the cover that pops out at ya at the same time making you appreciate all the things going on around them. Nailed it with these three for sure!! Its one of the reasons I as well as many others enjoy a book like More Fun 54 as well. I had started a thread when I had my son almost 5 years ago now called LARGER THAN LIFE!!!  that was meant to focus on one aspect of these covers we love so much!! Great stuff bro!! 

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I too LOVE this layout that you speak of and totally understand and appreciate it as well!! Simple yet elegant and dynamic as all holy get up!! Large Logo and Large character on the cover that pops out at ya at the same time making you appreciate all the things going on around them. Nailed it with these three for sure!! Its one of the reasons I as well as many others enjoy a book like More Fun 54 as well. I had started a thread when I had my son almost 5 years ago now called LARGER THAN LIFE!!!  that was meant to focus on one aspect of these covers we love so much!! Great stuff bro!! 

Nice, I don't think I have seen that thread. Reading it now. So many classic covers fit that paradigm. 

Just realized a few other favorites share similar traits: A-Man 22 and Speed 28. Don't have the Speed (yet), but it's on the list. 

3 minutes ago, october said:

Nice, I don't think I have seen that thread. Reading it now. So many classic covers fit that paradigm. 

Just realized a few other favorites share similar traits: A-Man 22 and Speed 28. Don't have the Speed (yet), but it's on the list. 

Your three favorites are such a beauty, especially the Detective and the GA Cap #74!

12 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Since an earlier dice roll on page two failed to produce a bonafide personal best  :cry:

9 more were added to a roulette wheel that Cap confiscated from nazi saboteurs ...

083b4374-6a48-4fa6-9561-ffcfabd2a044_zpsmiywo9uz.jpg.d98545f77cef95939d8c361b8610d850.jpg

This was the result:  :bump:

b2898efc-5de4-4275-acab-e214697c624d_zps63kudc0l.jpg.7f39d1b8a4e5858b434020e38bd9de92.jpg

84c714e8-9a3c-4572-a7bf-b309a2dbfd77_zpsvpybtkrn.jpg.5fe581e9da59f324902b04999e0b19d7.jpg

0c862f4c-347b-40a1-8cb8-45f96c424903_zpsqlxvpqss.jpg.50ac0c9ee1f1ae4529182de8558bc4e8.jpg

715f925f-e151-4176-a09b-951436aaa3c3_zpsamyhgsln.jpg.2b32dcb0e301003ea0f275ba10ce27f9.jpg

9641dea3-f2e3-4716-b50b-d6cb93c3904d_zpsozmrjkei.jpg.e169b82711dfd6d57f131abbdc103629.jpg

c753b296-89f8-4c6b-b36f-e0b4292a4b94_zpsmemrukwc.jpg.2df7939a2e2e36dc7bcd14e1b4eb0e14.jpg

77b204c7-1718-4ac6-9bf6-a788c4d27e76_zpse0luvdi7.jpg.66ccb8ba6821885b77c970182abe5568.jpg

f823344c-22db-4f73-9679-e683e31f141d_zpsgefc3epw.jpg.df7b7007e6f02d76438fe66681aeea01.jpg

86ebb67e-ca5f-4e70-8166-12190cf528b5_zps7wfwlqyy.jpg.49323ccf7886a356fc2adbb77c4dbc24.jpg

And after all the brew-ha-ha, still no clear winner! :sorry: Guess the house wins, Flex!  (shrug)

:tink:

Man what world class books!!! And they’re raw!  Makes me wonder about all the Cgc census data- like how much great stuff isn’t graded. And so many people cite how few copies of a book are on the census as a selling point. But I suppose you guys that have been in it for decades pretty much know how much of this raw stuff is out there. Thanks so much for posting- that Cap is unreal. Forget it- they’re all blowing my mind!

Edited by Black Bat

29 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

Man what world class books!!! And they’re raw!  Makes me wonder about all the Cgc census data- like how much great stuff isn’t graded. And so many people cite how few copies of a book are on the census as a selling point. But I suppose you guys that have been in it for decades pretty much know how much of this raw stuff is out there. Thanks so much for posting- that Cap is unreal. Forget it- they’re all blowing my mind!

They aren't raw.  Cat just clips the labels so you focus on the book instead of the number. (thumbsu 

I see... but man I’d like to see a stack of those in Mylar that I know I could slip out and feel and page through anytime I wanted or to show to friends (even if I never did ha ha). These aren’t Coins or trading cards and to think all that interior goodneess is sealed up just hurts my heart (I know you can see the books digitized but it’s not even the same). It’s like owning a treasure chest without having the keys. 

Edited by Black Bat

1 hour ago, Black Bat said:

I see... but man I’d like to see a stack of those in Mylar that I know I could slip out and feel and page through anytime I wanted or to show to friends (even if I never did ha ha). These aren’t Coins or trading cards and to think all that interior goodneess is sealed up just hurts my heart (I know you can see the books digitized but it’s not even the same). It’s like owning a treasure chest without having the keys. 

My Golden Age “collection” (if we want to call it a collection, it’s less than a long box) is embarassing in terms of grading but it’s all raw.

Actually I had a slabbed Daredevil Comics #2 (that I sold) but I could not keep magazines or books slabbed. Professional grading is convenient, but it’s a “means to an end” to me. :)

@Black Bat

I know what you mean. Most of my mid-grade and high-grade books are slabbed, but I occasionally pick up low-grade copies that I can haldle without worrying about causing damage. I've creased and torn books before when I thought I was being careful--I've even coughed and gotten spittle on books--so I don't want to handle the higher grade stuff any more than I have to.

Edited by jimbo_7071

12 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

@Black Bat

I know what you mean. Most of my mid-grade and high-grade books are slabbed, but I occasionally pick up low-grade copies that I can haldle without worrying about causing damage. I've creased and torn books before when I thought I was being careful--I've even coughed and gotten spittle on books--so I don't want to handle the higher grade stuff any more than I have to.

On the contrary, I like to handle books which are in nice shape too. That makes it a “time machine” experience, back to the newsstands. Problem arose when people started to pay crazy money for higher grades at the end of the spectrum. And also for books which have become very costly.

But I admit I am a bit nervous when I handle a book or comic which I know it is rare or even just costly.

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

On the contrary, I like to handle books which are in nice shape too. That makes it a “time machine” experience, back to the newsstands. Problem arose when people started to pay crazy money for higher grades at the end of the spectrum. And also for books which have become very costly.

But I admit I am a bit nervous when I handle a book or comic which I know it is rare or even just costly.

Just don’t handle expensive books while drinking coke or with a cat in the room... :nyah: