• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will happen to your collection when you die?
4 4

123 posts in this topic

All in the best possible taste! This is a question I've been pondering. I suppose I would do my best to anticipate the end in good time to liquidate, then disburse the funds as appropriate. But of course, the question also raises that hoary old issue, that you cant take 'em with you. Any thoughts, practical, philosophical or otherwise? [Global warming is really gonna damage that newsprint, ain't it?]

If this thread dies a death it wouldn't be overly ironic...

6 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

When something happens to me keep an eye on the Bedrock City web page (that's www.bedrockcity.com). They will have a big influx of new, high-grade inventory.

Well I seen your pictures Richard and you look to be a .5 hm  What do you consider high grade (shrug).

Happy new year Richard.

I have not really given it much thought on what would happen to my collection.

3 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Well I seen your pictures Richard and you look to be a .5 hm  What do you consider high grade (shrug).

Happy new year Richard.

I have not really given it much thought on what would happen to my collection.

Happy New Year, Harold!

We addressed that in our will. It’s a more involved process than I first thought. If it all goes to plan, tho, I’ll have just 70s reprints left when I go.

I’ll just say that it’s good to take a younger collector under your wing. My kids have no interest whatsoever. 

I consolidated into 10 key slabs, and will sell them off in 5 years and save my heirs the headache 

I guess if I get run over by a bus tomorrow, my heirs will inherit the headache, like it or not. I’ve left written directions on how they should handle it

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

17 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

will sell them off in 5 years and save my heirs the headache 

I guess if I get run over by a bus tomorrow, my heirs will inherit the headache, like it or not. I’ve left written directions on how they should handle it

+1

except for me more like 20 yrs not 5

Edited by Gotham Kid

I have 2 girls that are now in their 20`s and were pretty much groomed on a lot of this stuff since birth. My plan is to consolidate many books down to a short box of higher value to save them the trouble of getting rid of a 40+ year collection. I`m unable to secure someone to honestly take the collection and get what it`s worth, therefore the burden falls on my daughters to make sure my wife gets the most out of what I have. If I was to leave this earth tomorrow, I hope that I can`t hear the dirty language from Earth once they see what I actually left behind.

57 minutes ago, circumstances said:

My kids have no love for comics.

My plan is to retire (whenever that may be), then a few years after that make a hobby of slowly slabbing, then liquidating everything.

Add the proceeds to my retirement fund, live the high life, drop dead, whatever's left goes to my two sons 50/50.

Truth here also (thumbsu

41 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What a dismal topic to start the new year... 

No one in my family has any interest in my stuff (other than the monetary value).  Both my adult girls would like to have a few things to remember the old man with but don’t want to keep much. It’s cool. I don’t expect many to enjoy the passion I have for my whole life. 

My comic collection is easy. I have given my wife and kids contact info for a few dealers with the financial means to deal with them. These are guys I trust. I also included one who I don’t especially trust but has the dough to buy them. I told my family to give them my spread sheet and just have them make their best single offer. Who ever offers the most will buy them. 

I have always just been the “caretaker” of these. I would ultimately have them go to folks who really love them and will continue to cherish and take care of them. At the end of the day, whoever offers the most will get them.

My “other” stuff, is a lot harder. I have a pretty extensive collection of toys, advertising, sports, electric guitars and other items. I have less options for these. I do have spreadsheets and a few contacts who I trust will be fair with them. 

I intend to keep searching out cool stuff until I can no longer do it. The thrill of the hunt is very strong indeed.

I'd like a nice original Les Paul, if you're looking to downsize a bit I can PM you my address...

40 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What a dismal topic to start the new year... 

No one in my family has any interest in my stuff (other than the monetary value).  Both my adult girls would like to have a few things to remember the old man with but don’t want to keep much. It’s cool. I don’t expect many to enjoy the passion I have for my whole life. 

My comic collection is easy. I have given my wife and kids contact info for a few dealers with the financial means to deal with them. These are guys I trust. I also included one who I don’t especially trust but has the dough to buy them. I told my family to give them my spread sheet and just have them make their best single offer. Who ever offers the most will buy them. 

I have always just been the “caretaker” of these. I would ultimately have them go to folks who really love them and will continue to cherish and take care of them. At the end of the day, whoever offers the most will get them.

My “other” stuff, is a lot harder. I have a pretty extensive collection of toys, advertising, sports, electric guitars and other items. I have less options for these. I do have spreadsheets and a few contacts who I trust will be fair with them. 

I intend to keep searching out cool stuff until I can no longer do it. The thrill of the hunt is very strong indeed.

lol