• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will happen to your collection when you die?
4 4

123 posts in this topic

This particular subject comes up every few months on another board I belong to, involved in collecting antique radios.  Many of them will undoubtedly end up in a landfill, because antique AM tube radios, esp consoles, are of very little interest to today's general population.

AFA comics, in my situation, I have a dozen or so boxes full of '40's-'50's books.  My son told me he would keep all of them, to remind himself of me (God only know why  :wink: ).

Anyway, a general consensus seems to be to leave instructions to your errors, errr, heirs, on the most profitable venues with which to employ in disposing of the collection.  In my case, I have a goodly number of higher value ($1,000 and up) books, which I will eventually have to list in an inventory for him.

5 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

'Dying is the highest peak from which to view our entire lives'

Dracula 2020

Just watched the first episode - it's written by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat, the writers of Sherlock - Dracula if Bram Stoker had been Oscar Wilde. [The Importance of Being Vlad, A Trivial Comedy for Serious People]

Sounds like Crapula.

One day, we might get a faithful adaptation of the book.:wishluck:

A little off the subject, my best friend collected coins for almost 50 years. His cousin died a couple of years back and he also collected coins. His widowed wife asked if he could liquidate his collection since he was knowledgeable in the hobby and he agreed. There`s not a day that goes by that he don`t regret doing it. He`s slow to move the items because he wants the best deal for her, and she calls him constantly to see if he sold anything. It`s a mess! I`m hoping i`ll be in a better place so future planning has started in 2020.

Those of you who have spreadsheets and the like are doing better than I. I have about 90% of my OA on spreadsheets however I get a little lazy about updating it.

The smart play for those that want our heirs  to benefit from our collection should make sure that we have all of our instructions in place (as some of you already do). Best not to leave any 'hanging chads'. Just finishing my 3rd year of retirement, I don't seem to be slowing down collecting OA or those random comics that still appeal to me. I had convinced my significant other that the OA that I have been buying for the last 20 years, was to help during retirement but I haven't sold a thing and don't plan on selling anything in any near future (it's good that I don't have to either). My oldest daughter is the executor of my living trust and she will have all of my instructions for the expensive OA and the more expensive comics. Like many of you, my grown adult children have no interest in what I have collected. My son told me a number of years ago "Dad, get rid of this .... before you die". I may or may not, but I don't foresee any problem getting 'rid of' the better stuff. What gives me some minor angst is the hundreds of comic related hardcovers (archives, omnibuses, artist editions, etc.) that I have accrued over the years and adorn the multiple bookcases that house them in my personal library.  

When San Diego Comic Con asked for suggestions for the 'now in progress' museum, I suggested a library. I would love to donate all of my 'cared for' books to the museum for those who would still love to turn a page and read a comic that way. I don't think that the museum will have a library though... I may look for another place to make that donation. 

4 hours ago, kilowatt said:

If I was to leave this earth tomorrow, I hope that I can`t hear the dirty language from Earth once they see what I actually left behind.

I sold my Saucy Movie Tales collection for the opposite reason, not wanting to be caught alive if they found out!

1 hour ago, davidtere said:

Those of you who have spreadsheets and the like are doing better than I. I have about 90% of my OA on spreadsheets however I get a little lazy about updating it.

The smart play for those that want our heirs  to benefit from our collection should make sure that we have all of our instructions in place (as some of you already do). Best not to leave any 'hanging chads'. Just finishing my 3rd year of retirement, I don't seem to be slowing down collecting OA or those random comics that still appeal to me. I had convinced my significant other that the OA that I have been buying for the last 20 years, was to help during retirement but I haven't sold a thing and don't plan on selling anything in any near future (it's good that I don't have to either). My oldest daughter is the executor of my living trust and she will have all of my instructions for the expensive OA and the more expensive comics. Like many of you, my grown adult children have no interest in what I have collected. My son told me a number of years ago "Dad, get rid of this .... before you die". I may or may not, but I don't foresee any problem getting 'rid of' the better stuff. What gives me some minor angst is the hundreds of comic related hardcovers (archives, omnibuses, artist editions, etc.) that I have accrued over the years and adorn the multiple bookcases that house them in my personal library.  

When San Diego Comic Con asked for suggestions for the 'now in progress' museum, I suggested a library. I would love to donate all of my 'cared for' books to the museum for those who would still love to turn a page and read a comic that way. I don't think that the museum will have a library though... I may look for another place to make that donation. 

Spreadsheets are great but that would require someone to find the spreadsheet and match up each physical item to the spreadsheet.  I prefer to add a sticker to the back of the mylar for each book with the grade, date purchased, purchase price and current value.

10 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Spreadsheets are great but that would require someone to find the spreadsheet and match up each physical item to the spreadsheet.  I prefer to add a sticker to the back of the mylar for each book with the grade, date purchased, purchase price and current value.

are you actually doing that? Is a good idea.

My plan is to make sure I am dead before you and leave you with all the headache... I mean comics.

If you prefer I sell before my demise let me know and I will continue to sell.

Edited by Artboy99

Just now, szav said:

I’m going to opt for eating my comics (slabs included) at some point, so they’ll be eternally part of me.  Seems less wasteful than burning them.

except what happens after they are digested is literally waste.

3 hours ago, circumstances said:

I'd like a nice original Les Paul, if you're looking to downsize a bit I can PM you my address...

Had a nice early one once but traded it off for a nice '62 SG Standard and some cash. Was playing a lot back then and found the Les Paul a little heavy. The SG sounded the same and was a lot more comfortable. Kind of regret it a bit now... I have always wanted an ES 335. The nice vintage ones have probably risen out of my wallet range now though.

21 minutes ago, AJD said:

Finally someone with vision. But for extra effect I'm aiming at "Viking funeral".

Another option. Sell everything turn it all into digital currency and swallow it. Cremation fast before they rip you open.

13 minutes ago, fifties said:

Now another thought might be to have a tomb excavated large enough with which to have your comics, sealed of course, buried with you, like the ancient Egyptian pharaohs did, so that your treasures might accompany you to the next world...;)

Was just thinking the same thing. Problem is, I would have to sell off so much stuff to do it!

Safareya_Tut.jpg

in0chjz3e5031.jpg