• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Characters looking their WORST..

55 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Is the Cap OA out there?

I saw Rob Liefeld post the other day in the facebook OA collectors group that he's held on to some 500 pages of art, including full issues of Cap.

3 minutes ago, NewCollector101 said:

I saw Rob Liefeld post the other day in the facebook OA collectors group that he's held on to some 500 pages of art, including full issues of Cap.

I wonder if the page has been altered since print. Would love to watch that one go on auction. 

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I wonder if the page has been altered since print. Would love to watch that one go on auction. 

Think he went back and puffed out Cap's chest a bit more...true story, when I was young and that 1st Liefeld issue of CA came out I was so upset by how bad I thought it was I tore it up and mailed it back to him at Marvel. I actually really love his art, his was the first comic art I really fell in love with, but boy was I upset...

8 minutes ago, NewCollector101 said:

Think he went back and puffed out Cap's chest a bit more...true story, when I was young and that 1st Liefeld issue of CA came out I was so upset by how bad I thought it was I tore it up and mailed it back to him at Marvel. I actually really love his art, his was the first comic art I really fell in love with, but boy was I upset...

I would love to hear the story of how that got passed and approved to be printed. We are talking about a major character for Marvel. Just does not make since. That wouldn’t have been approved as an ad by a small time agency. 

Just now, Blastaar said:

I would love to hear the story of how that got passed and approved to be printed. We are talking about a major character for Marvel. Just does not make since. That wouldn’t have been approved as an ad by a small time agency. 

iirc it was one of a handful of books that marked the first return to Marvel by some of the Image creators, after they'd publicly spurned Marvel and gone off to become even bigger stars on their own - my guess is at that point Marvel would have published just about anything they gave them, in the interest of making nice & making $$

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

The absolute worst costumes for Dr. 13, Phantom Stranger, Mr. E, and Hellblazer can be found in Books of Magic annual 3, page 21, sold at Heritage Auctions Lot 13712 on Aug. 25, 2019. For some reason, I cannot copy it onto my iPad for posting, but it is worth a look. If someone can post it, even better. They are imaginary costumes, thank God, but they are so bad, I let someone else buy the page, even with a unique PS on it, for only $89.00. Hellblazer is particularly wretched, while PS looks like Raven, fully cloaked. And no, Mr. E does not look like the Elongated Man. That was a deliberate gag, I am sure, by the artist.

Here it is in all its glory. Click to see the auction entry.image.thumb.png.0299fb612b5e7e1e8a747feb013ade3d.png

I didn't recognize any of the characters. Yuck!

Edited by alxjhnsn

9 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

3C1F8F01-E100-49AA-85DD-3416935388D8.jpeg.1e8e4bee105e0385a3df92cbd9d2dfc5.jpeg

Someone had a Sam Kieth poster in their bedroom when they were 12 and grew up to be a comic artist 👩‍🎨 

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

If I recall that was right around Marvels bankruptcy too.   Chaotic time for them