• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Characters looking their WORST..

55 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I would love to hear the story of how that got passed and approved to be printed. We are talking about a major character for Marvel. Just does not make since. That wouldn’t have been approved as an ad by a small time agency. 

Maybe they thought it was Sharon Carter, dressed for Halloween.

29 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Thanks for posting it. I never expected to see John Constantine in hip waders.

I think there is a difference between a character being intentionally made to look silly as part of the story's sake, and one where the artist has just reinterpreted the character with a bad design.
But hey, that might just be me drawing an unnecessary distinction?

24 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

I think there is a difference between a character being intentionally made to look silly as part of the story's sake, and one where the artist has just reinterpreted the character with a bad design.
But hey, that might just be me drawing an unnecessary distinction?

Distinction noted, but they are still awful. And, it does meet the OP’s statement. Besides, is that really any different than the way the Thing was made to look, just towards a different plot point?

Edited by Rick2you2

The Thing image is certainly a story point. A lazy one, I think, but it's true. There is an easier distinction between say the Captain America, or the Fabio Thor.
But the difference between Pinecone Thing and the page with John, PS, etc, is that they were played as a comedic moment that is intentionally "bad". I feel like there is a very knowing nod and wink there that the Thing portrayal doesn't really have. Could be argued both are effective at what they set out to do.

One could argue the same about the Liefeld Cap, for that matter.
But for my money, the Constantine HB costume is a success at being funny and making the character look silly. I don't mind it. I think JC has looked worse. There have been some awful art done in the main Hellblazer book every now and again. I'd set that way above this gag image as a bad look for John, personally.

Edited by ESeffinga

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

The Thing image is certainly a story point. A lazy one, I think, but it's true. There is an easier distinction between say the Captain America, or the Fabio Thor.
But the difference between Pinecone Thing and the page with John, PS, etc, is that they were played as a comedic moment that is intentionally "bad". I feel like there is a very knowing nod and wink there that the Thing portrayal doesn't really have. Could be argued both are effective at what they set out to do.

One could argue the same about the Liefeld Cap, for that matter.
But for my money, the Constantine HB costume is a success at being funny and making the character look silly. I don't mind it. I think JC has looked worse. There have been some awful art done in the main Hellblazer book every now and again. I'd set that way above this gag image as a bad look for John, personally.

The Mr. E image has a double gag, at least. Apart from the stretched neck, like the Elongated Man, notice the star burst on his chest? While the image is different, it reminds me of another E character—Charleston’s E-Man, a being of pure energy, while Nova, his GF, had a similar star burst. Otherwise, the star burst makes no sense. The PS design, to look like Raven’s costume, is a tip towards the earliest of the 4th series Phantom Stranger stories where he essentially gave her back to Trigon before she became Raven. I still don’t know where the Dr. 13 homage is directed.