• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have an idea of how many active comic collectors there are these days?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2020 at 11:45 AM, Old_Man_Adam said:

I truly believe that with the success of the films it has done one of if not both of the following things :

1) create/ spurn a new generation of comic book collectors

2) rekindle dormant comic book collectors in their late 20’s on 

- in reality, I could speculate that with the onset of things like Key Collector - there is an unquantifiable number of people who just “ buy “ comics to flip , who wouldn’t generally be defined as “ collectors “ per say 

spot on

On 1/3/2020 at 5:03 PM, the blob said:

How many people attend Baltimore or Charlotte? I think those may have a much higher % of actual collectors.

Well, last time I was at Charlotte, it was me and a guy from the VALIANT boards, I did see Roy but he was "working", and I met @greggy, so really, about 3.

I keed, I keed, of course...  :ohnoez:

-slym

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, LordRahl said:

No way to know who's correct but I completely disagree that 80-90% of people that go to SDCC are spending thousands to attend just to see the sights and don't buy any comics. I can't "prove" it but I just have a hard time believing it (shrug)

Believe what you want. It's an "experience." I know a lot of people in my non-comic nerd life who go to NYCC every year. Families go, etc. None of them are there to buy comics. Might they buy a TPB or whatever for their kid to read? Sure, maybe. How many of the tables at San Diego are selling comics? 10%? 15%?

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:29 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah but if we're talking about comparative information between 1995 & now which was what the OP was trying to get at then the attendance numbers could still be helpful. I think comics in general as a hobby was in the dumper in the mid 90's so maybe '95 isn't the best year to look to. Maybe early to mid 2000's would be a better point in time? 

Sidenote, I wonder how big a convention the Miami Beach convention is? Medium sized?

NYCC and San Diego are each both within a reasonable driving distance of like 50 million people (ok, maybe not Sand Diego unless you include Mexico..). If 15,000 genuine collectors showed up at each I think you can extrapolate that about 5-10% of the collectors within a reasonable distance go to either (maybe 5%) with some others travelling far. So, 400,000-800,000 North American collectors (because they are frozen in their igloos 9 months a year with nothin to do other than play hockey and read comics, a much higher % of Canadians are collectors). 

Edited by the blob