• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my Conan 215 a 10.0 cadidate?

10 posts in this topic

Finally got to read my Conan run. It was purchased from a collection 15 years ago (which I'm still reading) and came across a strange double cover I've never seen before. The 2nd cover was actually a center spread. Got a little excited because with this cover being protected not only by a front cover, like most double covers, but it was also protected by 8 pages of storyline on either side. I checked it out, and sure enough, not one tick on the spine no creases, perfect in every way. And then I saw it. The lower right corner was ever so slightly blunted and the lower left corner had the same problem on the back. I'm calling this a manufacturing defect as the 4 pages before it as well as a couple after the center spread were also damaged... ever so slightly. If the damage was there after the comic was purchased, I'm certain the rest of the pages would also show this defect.

So, I wondering about a couple things.

Has anyone out there come across a second cover in the center and what are my chances a getting a 10.0 on the 2nd cover with the manufacturing defect. I'm leaning towards no, but as I'm not 100% sure I thought I'd ask. And if no, what are my chances of a 9.9? I'd settle for that. And, if anyone is wondering, I wouldn't give the front cover anything better than a 9.4 or 9.6 maybe.

There is almost zero chance that this book would receive a 9.9/10. 

I've subbed nearly 20,000 books, and have gotten exactly 2 9.9's and both were lenticular covers done onsite. 

With few exceptions there is no reason to sub books with the expectation you will get above 9.8. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if a book looks flawless as even then the chance of it getting a 9.8 far outweighs the luck involved in it getting higher. 

On 1/2/2020 at 5:32 PM, Xenosmilus said:

The fact that you are acknowledging defects (manufacturing or otherwise) on multiple pages would disqualify it as a 10,

Yes.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:32 PM, Xenosmilus said:

9.9 or even a 9.8

??? Why? (shrug)

8 hours ago, 50 Fiddy said:

I don't think they'll grade the second cover.  I have a book that had the first three wraps inserted twice and only the outer cover was graded.

That's what I was wondering: will they even assign a grade to a cover that isn't in the right place?