Can interior pages be pressed?
0

9 posts in this topic

429 posts

Can the moisture damaged interior pages be pressed? I appreciate all and any feedback.

0855ED39-EB33-4E8F-9244-B1FB514FE229.jpeg

E32270F8-6E92-435F-AA48-1F8C2772AD1A.jpeg

7F4AF24F-9AC3-4C30-8FB7-B5A147280ECB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,294 posts

Yes. Different techniques possible but simplest may be to add some moisture and use a large ball bearing or pool ball to smooth the down the bubbled up area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,083 posts

Yes, can be pressed and will be flat. Not sure about that ball bearing or pool ball thing. I seriously doubt that CCS has a supply of either in their tool kit. 

But while flat is likely, it looks like the paper shows the effects of getting wet with the gloss to the pages. It looks more matte than glossy. If you turn the page at an angle you'll easily see it. Nothing to be done about that and if sent to be graded CGC would note the moisture damage and grade the book down for it - even if pressed flat and smooth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,405 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony S said:

Not sure about that ball bearing or pool ball thing. I seriously doubt that CCS has a supply of either in their tool kit. 

+1   :eek: 

If CCS does have a supply of billiard balls or ball bearings in their tool cabinet for pressing, they're probably kept right next to the stiletto high heeled platform shoes. :gossip:

Edited by James J Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,654 posts

If the book is pressed properly, it will take care of issues on the covers and interior pages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,405 posts
8 hours ago, joeypost said:

If the book is pressed properly, it will take care of issues on the covers and interior pages. 

Without having to break out the emergency 9-ball, ball bearings, or stiletto heels?  :wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
429 posts
On 1/3/2020 at 1:19 AM, Tony S said:

Yes, can be pressed and will be flat. Not sure about that ball bearing or pool ball thing. I seriously doubt that CCS has a supply of either in their tool kit. 

But while flat is likely, it looks like the paper shows the effects of getting wet with the gloss to the pages. It looks more matte than glossy. If you turn the page at an angle you'll easily see it. Nothing to be done about that and if sent to be graded CGC would note the moisture damage and grade the book down for it - even if pressed flat and smooth. 

Oh well I would never use CCS anyway as they are not professional pressers. 

They are commercial run of the mill and go threw the motion ham and eggers.

Only the name and association makes people think they are any good.

My personal experience with them is horrible.

Enough CCS bashing and thank you for your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,595 posts

from my limited knowledge yes I believe you could get a good pressor to press the book with cover and the interior pages should flatten in the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0