• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultra Rare? Spider-Man Varaint Otto

47 posts in this topic

.20191222_162828.thumb.jpg.00a7fd2764a9f30ba8fa86ca0c5511b7.jpgWas wondering how many flaws could a comic have to be graded 9.0 or higher. 1 small impression half moon about 1/8" between bottom and left of spine but not into it. 6 small breaks back cover on spline. Those are only flaws I see. 

Also how many 667 spiderman otto are out there.

Edited by New2This
Insert picture

There’s a “please grade my comic” sub forum

you should post detailed pics there and ask for grading opinions

its rare. There’s some threads in the modern comics sub forum that might have some discussions about rarity.  But don’t trust anyone who thinks they have the numbers locked down unless you see genuine evidence

good luck.

but honestly it’s probably worth pressing and grading no matter what

1 hour ago, ISureAm said:

Mmmmm, maybe one of the rarest Modern covers tho (I don't say book because the book isn't rare but the cover is).

well the word 'rare' is kind of subjective.  Rare relative to demand?  Pretty rare.  But rare in absolute numbers compared to a million other retail incentive variants from comics with much smaller print runs?  Not so rare. 

But this is an argument for another day or another thread and/or its largely moot.  It's rare enough and sought after enough to be valuable.

Yes it's rare.  Only about ~225 printed and distributed.  This, according to the main Diamond liaison for Marvel Comics.

May I ask how you came upon this particular copy? 

And some pics of the front and back cover outside the bag would be helpful.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

While something can be rare in that there weren't a lot printed, that's really different than it being really rare and in great demand. The variant market is something I view as a chumming operation to draw people into buying something that isn't mainstream but has no real demand either. Late comers to collecting Comics can easily be pulled into variants since the  alternate of buying golden or silver age comics is financially a reach. AF 15 is actually pricey. It's not rare either but a lot of people still want to have one. 

17 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yes it's rare.  Only about ~225 printed and distributed.  This, according to the main Diamond liaison for Marvel Comics.

-J.

Lol he beat to replying knew he would ask. Come on though you know that number
isn't right. Unless you have some documentation for it.

I am curious as well one of the few books you don't see much anywhere.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Of course the number is right. Straight from the horse's mouth and backed up by nearly a decade of established rarity on the secondary market.  The "documentation" is with Diamond, and was communicated by the Marvel liaison to me.  Of course he wasn't going to email me something direct and official, don't be naive.  And even if he did and it was posted, some schmuck troll would just say it was either not good enough or "fake".

-J.

Jaydog is right. Ratio variants are always distributed at a ratio of the quoted first week of sale numbers.
These variants are never damaged and Diamond would never even think about sending retailers replacements for those damages.

18 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Garage sale about 3 long boxes of mostly Spiderman comics. Good stuff. Tje guy selling it was in the service and took care of his stuff. Now i am

18 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Bought 3 long boxes from marine. Now just Selling it

2 minutes ago, New2This said:

Garage sale about 3 long boxes of mostly Spiderman comics. Good stuff. Tje guy selling it was in the service and took care of his stuff. Now i am

Bought 3 long boxes from marine. Now just Selling it

Nice find.  You should check Ebay/GPA to see what genuine copies of these go for.

(*spoiler alert- A lot.  Lol)

Post some pictures of the back and front ourside the bag if you would like an assessment of condition.  

-J.

44 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Nice find.  You should check Ebay/GPA to see what genuine copies of these go for.

(*spoiler alert- A lot.  Lol)

Post some pictures of the back and front ourside the bag if you would like an assessment of condition.  

-J.

I have it on ebay and it is ending Sunday. Good pictures there. I think it's at least a 9 if not more when pressed. Just curious what people here thought. I priced it a good amount lower that the one graded on there. Thanks

It is very glossy. All pictures are outside the bag.

Edited by New2This
Add sentence.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:05 AM, revat said:

There’s a “please grade my comic” sub forum

you should post detailed pics there and ask for grading opinions

its rare. There’s some threads in the modern comics sub forum that might have some discussions about rarity.  But don’t trust anyone who thinks they have the numbers locked down unless you see genuine evidence

good luck.

but honestly it’s probably worth pressing and grading no matter what

Thank You. 

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Of course the number is right. Straight from the horse's mouth and backed up by nearly a decade of established rarity on the secondary market.  The "documentation" is with Diamond, and was communicated by the Marvel liaison to me.  Of course he wasn't going to email me something direct and official, don't be naive.  And even if he did and it was posted, some schmuck troll would just say it was either not good enough or "fake".

-J.

lol

:roflmao:

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:
2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So all you got is a conversation that only you were witness too? Come on you are smarter then that. 
I think you are the one that is naïve, if you expect all of us to believe that. 

Really I am not as hard lined as others are against you, but your argument for it is really weak.

47 minutes ago, New2This said:

I have it on ebay and it is ending Sunday. Good pictures there. I think it's at least a 9 if not more when pressed. Just curious what people here thought. I priced it a good amount lower that the one graded on there. Thanks

It is very glossy. All pictures are outside the bag.

Let us know how it goes and a word of warning. That book will bring out some unsavory buyers. Be very safe and secure when you go to ship the book. Otherwise you could have some issues.

Honestly I think you could have sold it here and made the same amount of money.

Good luck, great book, and great find.

Edited by fastballspecial

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Let us know how it goes and a word of warning. That book will bring out some unsavory buyers. Be very safe and secure when you go to ship the book. Otherwise you could have some issues.

Honestly I think you could have sold it here and made the same amount of money.

Good luck, great book, and great find.

It does worry me about shipping and who receives it. I don't want any issues with it because I can't afford any problems. It is very clean and looks great. I just found out about this site. Any advice on how to protect myself with the buyer. Going to ship out like I was sending it out to grade with signature and insurance well packaged. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, New2This said:

It does worry me about shipping and who receives it. I don't want any issues with it because I can't afford any problems. It is very clean and looks great. I just found out about this site. Any advice on how to protect myself with the buyer. Going to ship out like I was sending it out to grade with signature and insurance well packaged. Thanks.

Take as many videos and pictures as possible.  Maybe even a single shot no-cut video of you packing it up in a post office and handing it off to the postal worker.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

So all you got is a conversation that only you were witness too? Come on you are smarter then that. 
I think you are the one that is naïve, if you expect all of us to believe that. 

Really I am not as hard lined as others are against you, but your argument for it is really weak.

No.

There is also nearly a decade of established rarity on the secondary market, only a handful of sales and just a few dozen copies ever graded.

My conversation with the Marvel liaison merely confirmed years of what I and others had previously estimated.  

And, with all due respect to you (and no respect to the same career trolls already crawling out of the woodwork here)... I don't care if you believe it, or not.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules