• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me grade Detective Comics 135
3 3

17 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, D84 said:

Could be a miscut.

It' shoddy printing/cutting. We can tell because the back cover is actually centered properly.  If there was trimming, both sides would seem off. Also this is not the standard US version, it's the canadian version, made differently (less pages, for instance) so the best would be to compare to other examples of such but I didn't find any so far.

That is a beauty! 

Couple of observations.  First, is that a stain just to the left below the logo on the front cover?  Second, it looks like the bottom staple might be impacted a bit (this looks a little more evident on the back cover).  Finally, the dirt on the back cover might detract a bit from the grade.  Not sure if anyone really knows how CGC deals with ink transfer or whatever that blue line is along the back cover so I am going to be conservative and say the estimated grade would be 7.0 (fine / very fine).

Closer examination is required but I tend to think that is a miscut along the top rather than a trim. 

2 hours ago, DWL said:

That is a beauty! 

Couple of observations.  First, is that a stain just to the left below the logo on the front cover?  Second, it looks like the bottom staple might be impacted a bit (this looks a little more evident on the back cover).  Finally, the dirt on the back cover might detract a bit from the grade.  Not sure if anyone really knows how CGC deals with ink transfer or whatever that blue line is along the back cover so I am going to be conservative and say the estimated grade would be 7.0 (fine / very fine).

Closer examination is required but I tend to think that is a miscut along the top rather than a trim. 

Honestly, I'm not sure what that is below the logo. It could be some dust accumulation or just part of the printing. I could always have it dry cleaned and if it remains then we know what it is. All the imperfections on this book seem to have been there from the get go (like the staple, the blue ink on the back, the cut) and I know both bindery and printing defects are given a pass when it comes to grading golden age books (It's more about the wear and tear since binding) so I'm not sure what I would get from it. Still cool to have a book that's been basically untouched for seven decades.

Edited by William-James88

On 10/6/2021 at 10:02 AM, Funnybooks said:

Jan 3, 2020? :gossip:

should be back from CgC soon

Oh its been back a little while now, but I am keeping it secret for the contest. I'll just say that I was right on the money for the grade (and thank the Lord, since that's the grade me and the dealer agreed upon at purchase).

Edited by William-James88