• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jimmy Palmiotti story
1 1

9 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Nexus said:

It's a good news article.

I have run into a couple similar situations where the owners don't care enough about value.

They want it gone.

Why argue? 

You become the new caretaker.

David

My brother moved from Houston to Wichita. He's talking to a friend who later became his business partner, IIRC, and the friend said when he bought his new home a few months ago, there were boxes of comics in the attic. Bill asked, "What did you do with them?" He said, "Threw them away." Bill said, "Big mistake."

The house had been owned by a single family for decades; this was the early 90s so the books probably dated from the 60s to the 70s. Oh, well. :(

In the early 90s, my parents bought the house across the street from us from a little old widow who decided to move to Oregon to live close to her daughter. She left behind a medium size box full of vintage Mad Magazines from the late ‘60s-early’70s. Back then there was no easy way to price them, especially coming from a small town. To be sure, I didn’t happen upon a gold mine but it was a cool discovery. Don’t know what happened to that box though. I did end up with 2-3 of them that I sold in a lot when news of Mad folding broke out. 

I feel like with the rise of the Internet it’s very easy to find a buyer for collectibles or know their worth. Anyone who has anything that might be valuable and doesn’t want it can get rid of it for profit. Reminds me of that family that found an unopened NES Mega Man (or whatever) and handed it over to HA for 5-figure realization (though I have to look up the facts again). It was lost Christmas gift—had the receipt and everything. Coincidence that the family jumped on that now? Why didn’t it go to a yard sale?

5 hours ago, Nexus said:

And here I thought this was going to revisit that story about how their construction contractor was secretly living in their Florida house, and stole some pages from Jimmy’s art collection, that he then tried to sell up in NYC.

Then I remembered that was Joe, not Jimmy. Heh.

Edited by ESeffinga

Last month I was given a stack of art as consignment by someone who worked for marvel for years. He said I have some art that isn’t anything great. In the stack were three covers from the 70’s that were never on the market. He was shocked when I handed him a five figure check a few weeks later. People have no idea what this stuff may be worth. 

Apparently much of the art in metropolis comics office walked in off the street with the seller having no idea of its value.

Edited by AnkurJ

On 1/3/2020 at 5:19 PM, alxjhnsn said:

My brother moved from Houston to Wichita. He's talking to a friend who later became his business partner, IIRC, and the friend said when he bought his new home a few months ago, there were boxes of comics in the attic. Bill asked, "What did you do with them?" He said, "Threw them away." Bill said, "Big mistake."

The house had been owned by a single family for decades; this was the early 90s so the books probably dated from the 60s to the 70s. Oh, well. :(

We tend to forget that the auction venue is a last resort in some situations.

Sometimes, it's just the dumpster.

David