• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four #52

15 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Posy said:

Hello everyone!

Imgur links to full-size images:

Front Cover

Back Cover

Inside

Edge

FantasticFour52(frontcover).thumb.jpg.1d2b9af2d9d838e08ce03305f17fe751.jpgFantasticFour52(backcover).thumb.jpg.a4b2380461392886e72f1c53cf523d1c.jpgFantasticFour52(inside).thumb.jpg.fbe0af6fffdc9ff01b0c025edda0f078.jpgFantasticFour52(horizontal).thumb.jpg.10b6f852bc1d906083a41ee45415cd76.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Solid 5.0. That long faint, diagonal, somewhat invisible crease, lower left region, along with other front cover creasing, technically relegates it, by virtue of those other, more visible fractures, to a technical 4.5, but the strong back cover brings it back up to 5.0 and if there is a slight spine roll, which looks to be some puffiness at the top left spine area, can probably be improved upon up to the 5.5 territory by a press. That won't mollify the fractures, but assure it lays nice and flat for the grading process.

3 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

Now this leads to some interesting aspects about this book. We're in total agreement on the technical grade of 4.5, but here's why I think it will score a 5.0 as is, and 5.5 if pressed. Take a gander at those fine details! FF 52s. The intricate artwork of the cover on this copy presents with Pedigree-like quality. Every cable, every nuance of the extremely detailed and busy mechanics of Kirby's machinery are bold and cleanly delineated. No smudges, no smears, the coloration perfect, no murky or dingy look because the paper is white and unaffected by the type of tone that affects the colors. Look at the yellow and white circle. No printing blips, smears, etc., etc. the book has Pedigree-like eye appeal. This type of quality can have a subliminal influence on a grader.

11 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Now this leads to some interesting aspects about this book. We're in total agreement on the technical grade of 4.5, but here's why I think it will score a 5.0 as is, and 5.5 if pressed. Take a gander at those fine details! FF 52s. The intricate artwork of the cover on this copy presents with Pedigree-like quality. Every cable, every nuance of the extremely detailed and busy mechanics of Kirby's machinery are bold and cleanly delineated. No smudges, no smears, the coloration perfect, no murky or dingy look because the paper is white and unaffected by the type of tone that affects the colors. Look at the yellow and white circle. No printing blips, smears, etc., etc. the book has Pedigree-like eye appeal. This type of quality can have a subliminal influence on a grader.

YEP ! great collectors grade copy in the 5.0 range... would look great in a slab 

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

YEP ! great collectors grade copy in the 5.0 range... would look great in a slab 

And this is exactly the type of book that piques the perception of skewed results on the GP charts with its sale. You'd see an entry for a 5.0 that sold for more than the last 6.5 sold for and think "what the heck? A 6.5 only brought X dollars! How can a 5.0 sell for more than the 6.5 in the same month?". This book is the exact reason as to 'how'. Eye appeal. The 6.5 could have looked 'So-so', compared to a 5.0 like this that will absolutely pop.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Well, it had that effect on me...I could see a 5.5...

I know you've seen plenty of these, and this one pops in a way that is not often seen. Kirby's intricate artwork, all those beautiful lines of his, always seem to "fade" into the background due to smudges, streaks, rubs, print lines, blips, donuts, ink transference, and other color/detail muting detriments. Even high grade 52s often appear drab due to printing and those just mentioned. This one is just beautiful and for those that have never really studied the artwork of this cover much beyond the characters can see things they never noticed before very easily on this copy. Details pop out that are easily missed on most 52! Nice to see a 52 like this.

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I know you've seen plenty of these, and this one pops in a way that is not often seen. Kirby's intricate artwork, all those beautiful lines of his, always seem to "fade" into the background due to smudges, streaks, rubs, print lines, blips, donuts, ink transference, and other color/detail muting detriments. Even high grade 52s often appear drab due to printing and those just mentioned. This one is just beautiful and for those that have never really studied the artwork of this cover much beyond the characters can see things they never noticed before very easily on this copy. Details pop out that are easily missed on most 52! Nice to see a 52 like this.

in the coin collecting hobby the most popular grade to collect is "fine" nothing beats an original , uncleaned coin in fine condition .... pure collectors grade !!

this comic is the same as a nice key coin in "fine" condition

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I agree...it's very intricate. One of my favorites!  

And my approach to grading has always been based on eye appeal and the central image area of the cover.

First, I ask myself what flaws detract from the overall eye appeal. On this copy, the spine and edge wear are what I noticed the most. But then I always ask myself this question: Are there any qualities that bring the grade back up? For me, the outstanding color and clarity of the central image make a case for it, as well as the cleanliness of the back cover. So even though the technical grade of this book may fall in the VG/Fine range, the look of it is so nice that I can see bumping it up a bit...