• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Modern Keys... Back at It
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Looking for help as I stopped reading in the early 90s and I'm getting back into comics and collecting.  

What are some post mid-nineties keys in Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Punisher, X-Men, and Batman? Looking for cool covers, first appearances, landmark events, first issues, and great artists.

Thanks!

Edited by eastcoaster

In all honesty the keys are far and few over the last 10-20 years unless you count variants. The writing has gotten much better and so has the art.....but keys? Not so much. If collecting go for rare variants, if reading the world is your oyster. 

Top of my head modern keys

Walking Dead 1-10, 100

X-23 First Appearance  NXY#3

Alias #1

Batman #635

Batman #656

Hulk #1 Red Hulk

Wolverine #66 Old Man Logan

Ult Fallout #4

Saga #1

Edge of Spiderverse #2

..........what else?

Edited by Blastaar

23 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

Looking for help as I stopped reading in the early 90s and I'm getting back into comics and collecting.  

What are some post mid-nineties keys in Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Punisher, X-Men, and Batman? Looking for cool covers, first appearances, landmark events, first issues, and great artists.

Thanks!

2008 run of Hulk has a couple 1st appearances, some hard to find variants & some cool covers

Howard the Duck 1 Lim variant 1st appearance of Gwenpool

Any Deadpool series is going to have some really cool covers.....I'm a bit biased though :roflmao:

Batman series with Snyder & Cappullo has one of the best modern Batman stories & a slew of great covers

Edge of spiderverse 2 1st spider gwen

X-men 205 1st Hope Summers

Moon girl & Devil Dinosaur 1 1st moon girl

Batman 635 1st Jason Todd as Red Hood

Ultimate Fallout 4 1st miles morales

Walking Dead

Venom 3 1st Knull

Amazing spider-man 4 1st Silk

NYX 3 1st X-23

Thanos 13 1st cosmic Ghost Rider

Avenging Spider-man 9 1st Carol danvers cpt marvel

Teen titans 12 1st Batman that laughs

Detective Comics 880

Basically anything post 90's is all about variants though. You can just type in variant on ebay & find out which ones are pricey for each character you listed

Batman Beyond #37 is new to introducing Batwoman Beyond, if your looking to get into something to read that's out now that involves a key......

Immortal Hulk is also fairly current and good, 1st appearance in Avengers #684? I think, and plus Immortal Hulk #2 is a key 1st.

Carnage and Venom are popular, not too aware of the "keys"

Hulk has had spin-offs, check out Totally Awesome Hulk #22 1st Weapon H

There are $3.99 newsstand editions on cgc labels with Campbell Good Girl Art, $2.99 cgc label editions of other's

Detective Comics #880 and Power Girl #27 have had a day in the sun, there are Newsstand Editions too but aren't "priced" different.

Batman Beyond #25 is a 1st app, that I don't know what exactly it'll have in store

Batman #655 and/or #656 :) 

They're out there :foryou: 

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Batman Beyond #37 is new to introducing Batwoman Beyond, if your looking to get into something to read that's out now that involves a key......

Immortal Hulk is also fairly current and good, 1st appearance in Avengers #684? I think, and plus Immortal Hulk #2 is a key 1st.

Carnage and Venom are popular, not too aware of the "keys"

Hulk has had spin-offs, check out Totally Awesome Hulk #22 1st Weapon H

There are $3.99 newsstand editions on cgc labels with Campbell Good Girl Art, $2.99 cgc label editions of other's

Detective Comics #880 and Power Girl #27 have had a day in the sun, there are Newsstand Editions too but aren't "priced" different.

Batman Beyond #25 is a 1st app, that I don't know what exactly it'll have in store

Batman #655 and/or #656 :) 

They're out there :foryou: 

Totally Awesome Hulk #22 has come WAY down in price over the past couple months too. 

ASM 607 - Black Cat Cover

ASM 569 - 1st Anti Venom

ASM Free Comic Book Day 2007 - 1st Mister Negative (Martin Li)

Daredevil 111 - 1st Lady Bullseye incentive variant

Thor Gold of Thunder 2 - 1st Gorr the God Butcher

Batman 609 - 1st Hush and GREAT story arc

9 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

AND as far as Artists go:

J. Scott Campbell

Gabriele Dell'otto

Alex Ross

Jock

Greg Capullo

Alex Maleev

Jenny Frison

Skottie Young

Michael Turner

Chip Zdarsky

Ariel Olivetti

David Finch

Artgerm

Josh Middleton 

Ed Mcguinness 

Mike Mayhew

Tony Moore

Frank Cho

J Scott Campbell is one of the only ones I know. He seems to specialize in babes but is also very cartoony.

16 hours ago, eastcoaster said:

Thanks!

What are you actually looking for, keys or cool covers, first issues and great artists? (shrug)

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

What are you actually looking for, keys or cool covers, first issues and great artists? (shrug)

All of the above! Another way of putting it is significant books. I admit a book may not be significant just because of the artist but it could be because it's the first issue by the artist on a cool run like X-Men 248. Or a cool cover by a cool artist like Hulk 340. Which reminds me to look for Jim Lee Batmans! 

You are trying to eat an elephant in one bite. Pick one or two characters you like. Say Batman and Spider-Man. Grab some runs in TPB to see if you like them still. If that’s the case look for some key issues surrounding the run you read. This will mean more to you. Example if you were going the Batman route. 

Get these books on Amazon 

Batman by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo Omnibus Vol. 1

Batman: White Knight

Batman: The Dark Knight: Master Race

Then grab some cool variants of the issues. 

Edited by Blastaar

52 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

You are trying to eat an elephant in one bite. Pick one or two characters you like. Say Batman and Spider-Man. Grab some runs in TPB to see if you like them still. If that’s the case look for some key issues surrounding the run you read. This will mean more to you. Example if you were going the Batman route. 

Not really. There are a handful of characters I follow and most comics are forgettable so there shouldn't be that many sought after issues.

If variants are hot then it sounds like the gimmicks of the 90s that crashed the industry. 

I'm impressed that Spawn is still going!

58 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Thanks I will check out those issues. It is hard to recapture the fun of reading back in the day.