• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convincing people to sign up for the CGC Boards
4 4

144 posts in this topic

I have tried to point one or two people in this direction.

Typically anyone who regularly engages me in conversations about comics and around about the time they start treating me like a "guru" for knowing what I know about comics. Usually I just say if you want to read about and learn more about comics than you could ever imagine take a look at the CGC boards.

Often it is to throw them off my trail just because as much as I love comics and collecting I am a busy working man and do not really have the time to talk comics all day. So I try to politely point them to somewhere they can. 

I’ve attempted to get some YouTube comic buddies over here but don’t think they’ve found a way to fit in. A couple were scrutinized for their passionate opinions on Newton Rings. 

I’d guess they see oldies with high post counts and feel like they’ll never catch up and give up right away. It’s too bad...I know some veterans have big opinions around here but for the most part we all are friendly and welcoming as long as you don’t like an azz. Some newbies don’t even understand forum etiquette and start a basic thread that’s been discussed a million times or ask “What book should I buy to make $$$” and are teased and might not return. 

1 hour ago, Raze said:

I value the boards here! But Ive only told 2 people about the boards, 1 joined and is a Big seller/buyer and the other persons job keeps him in and out of town that he doesnt have the time.

But for the most part when Im talking to people I just refer to the boards here as “Im apart of a message board” and dont reveal its CGC. I dont know why I keep the boards so close. I have met some great boardies who Id like to call my friends (and @mwotka who I met at a local show and are now friends and part of a Local club) @Readcomix @jimjum12

@SkOw @grebal these members have been Outstanding to me!! 
Maybe Ill start telling more people...But Ill be picky about it!

I'm not a good recruiter for new members since almost all of the collectors I know are here already.  But there are many good people here that keep me interested even when I'm not heavily buying or selling - just for the information and stories and shared community - although I can't stand people a lot of the time I have much greater tolerance here with our shared passion (and even the jerks aren't that bad, relatively speaking).  And the 'pervs' rock. 

Plus there are great folk like Dan, Sha or Ralph and assorted fine others [Tim / @DR.X ]  just sent me an awesome Batman volume (war years!!) because I had a lucky guess at how much loose pocket change he'd accumulated during 2019).  How the effing cool is that!?  And it wasn't just his generosity, the book was packaged more securely than a faberge egg from tiffany or something.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, Raze, even when I don't post a lot I'm generally lurking about and happy to follow what you guys are up to.

I originally gave this place a try after someone pointed it out to me at a UK comic mart.

Soon after I joined in 2008, I'd be quite enthusiastic about the boards in the two comic shops I went to, on-and-off over the following two years until I stopped buying new comics.  Nothing but complete disinterest.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I try to turn on people to these boards all the time.

Having had the time to think more about this, maybe the CGC forums can use a catchy music video to help with recruiting prospects of a stubborn nature? Maybe if they can see for themselves how much fun it is, they might tune in, turn on?

45 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

to the shill whose post was removed who mentioned when i first joined the boards i was against slabbing moderns

you know i'm glad you brought that up... 

when i first joined 5 1/2 years ago i urged people not to buy and slab modern comics but to buy older nice GA/SA to slab instead...

i stopped giving that advice shortly after joining because of the hate and grief i was receiving but some of the establishment brings it up regularly and has never forgotten , but what they never mention is that in the last 5 years those GA/SA keys, romance , war,  first appearances, classic covers and all great artists like LBCole., Baker and Heath comic books have tripled -quadripled in price and more , whereas those same moderns have fell in price over the same period.

so my advice was solid and extremely lucrative  , i have received a few pm's over the years from newer members thanking me for the way i posted when i first joined which far outweigh the negative comments i still occasional get from the old guard/establishment

Some folks collect comics they enjoy and love. Value or investment not being a consideration in how they enjoy or participate in the hobby. 2c

3 hours ago, stock_rotation said:

Gresham's law.

yes good money attacks new members for sport

Just now, steveinthecity said:

Some folks collect comics they enjoy and love. Value or investment not being a consideration in how they enjoy or participate in the hobby. 2c

sorry i do not agree , you may be talking about 5% of the people , because 95% of the people who slab comics want their investment to increase and the profit they would have made had they followed my advice would have funded their hobby for a LONG time !!

the pm's i received far out weigh the comments like yours

27 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:
1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

to the shill whose post was removed who mentioned when i first joined the boards i was against slabbing moderns

you know i'm glad you brought that up... 

when i first joined 5 1/2 years ago i urged people not to buy and slab modern comics but to buy older nice GA/SA to slab instead...

i stopped giving that advice shortly after joining because of the hate and grief i was receiving but some of the establishment brings it up regularly and has never forgotten , but what they never mention is that in the last 5 years those GA/SA keys, romance , war,  first appearances, classic covers and all great artists like LBCole., Baker and Heath comic books have tripled -quadripled in price and more , whereas those same moderns have fell in price over the same period.

so my advice was solid and extremely lucrative  , i have received a few pm's over the years from newer members thanking me for the way i posted when i first joined which far outweigh the negative comments i still occasional get from the old guard/establishment

Some folks collect comics they enjoy and love. Value or investment not being a consideration in how they enjoy or participate in the hobby. 

Not to mention that you have to be extremely selective in saying that all moldy oldies have exploded in value, while all newer books have plunged. Plus, if everybody had followed his specific advice, CGC would probably be out of business now.