• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convincing people to sign up for the CGC Boards
4 4

144 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2020 at 7:47 PM, dupont2005 said:

I used to hype the VCC since that’s what brought me here but I’ve really reduced the amount of forum posting I do in the past few years and this is pretty much the only place I discuss comics anymore

Yep I only give out my pearls of wisdom here.

I learned about these boards at NYCC.

I have brought over three friends and while they do not participate they do read and have made purchases.   A fourth friend was lurking when someone posted a political statement and drama ensued.  As expected it was a big turnoff. 

I don't have a lot of friends that are collectors, but of the few that are, most have glazed over when I've mentioned the Boards. I think the general perception (if there is even an awareness of CGC in the first place) is that the CGC boards would be for CGC graded comics, and the majority of comic readers/collectors don't give two carps about graded comics. It's hard to convince them that there is SO much more to it. Oh well. I'll just hoard all of this wonderful knowledge for myself!

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I don't have a lot of friends that are collectors, but of the few that are, most have glazed over when I've mentioned the Boards. I think the general perception (if there is even an awareness of CGC in the first place) is that the CGC boards would be for CGC graded comics, and the majority of comic readers/collectors don't give two carps about graded comics. It's hard to convince them that there is SO much more to it. Oh well. I'll just hoard all of this wonderful knowledge for myself!

also happy Birthday!

With the exception of my sister, I don't know anyone else that collects comics. I had two room mates back in the 80's that did, but they have long since stopped collecting. If I would meet a fellow collector I would surely tell them of this website too.

And as for being new and getting picked on by the old guard - this never happened to me. Of course I don't post a whole lot, so maybe that's why, but I am less confrontational, and I am never rude to people. Plus I believe in, what I think I heard Jiminy Cricket say, which was "If you cannot say something nice, don't say anything at all". .

5 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

?

In between classes I have spent the better part of the morning reading through CG, do you think you could point me out to your Pearls of Wisdom?

Pearls are found by searching.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:26 PM, KirbyJack said:

I know a collector who’d knock our socks off, but no go. 
Unless he just lurks, which is plausible. 

On 1/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, thehumantorch said:

He posted once and hasn't posted since.

Well, how can any of us forget about the single one and only infamous and rather controversial post from the Dentist himself where he really gave it to us and proceeded to tell us exactly what he thought about these boards and some of the board members here. :slapfight:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

23 hours ago, kav said:

Yep I only give out my pearls of wisdom here.

Who else, anywhere other than possible here, could even begin to comprehend the many blessings those pearls of wisdom of yours bestow? Even here, you're like the Goodyear blimp, and we're all just like so many sandbags hanging from it. (worship)

On 1/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 1/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, thehumantorch said:

Got one buddy to join up.  He posted once and hasn't posted since.

It does seem strange that it's so hard to get people interested in the boards.

I joined the boards in 2005, but immediately fled because it bewildered me.

Why in the world would you leave when those were the wild, lively, and rollicking days when Danny Boy, Masterchief, Red Hook, etc. were on the boards and enlightening all of us to the fact that it was not all sweet and innocence when we open the CGC kimono to take a closer look at what's inside?  :whatthe:   (tsk)

By comparison, today's boards seems to be a relatively dead zone in terms of often hours passing before there is another post in a particular Forum, and sometimes even a full day between posts for major forums like the BA or CA forums and even shockingly, the SA Forum.   :taptaptap:  zzz

On 1/4/2020 at 12:50 PM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

This site has all the information in front of you, you learn something new everyday from fellow collectors, so informative and helpful, would be crazy not to join.

A perfect example yesterday being the fact I learned that the much long awaited and thought for dead Pedigree Book is now actually off the bench and back on the starting blocks:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I assume this means that we can now expect it sometime this decade since we have almost a full 10 years to go.  lol  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: