• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convincing people to sign up for the CGC Boards
4 4

144 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Got one buddy to join up.  He posted once and hasn't posted since.

It does seem strange that it's so hard to get people interested in the boards.

I joined the boards in 2005, but immediately fled because it bewildered me. It took another 12 years to actually stick a toe in the water and make my first post. Now I’ve gotten to the point where I see personalities out there in the wild, and I like it. Mostly. Gotta keep an eye on woo woo

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I try to turn on people to these boards all the time. 95% of the time they have a lame excuse as to why they won't or even come here for a look.

A rare thing happened this week in my town. A new comic book store opened on Jan1st. I decided to cruise over and check it out. Friendly guy with a lot of hope and enthusiasm. Had two walls of new comics and a small table with 3 short boxes of $1. comics, that was it. I asked him if he had any older comics. He said no but he was counting on a lot of collections to walk in. Right... I asked him if he was going to have gaming, T-Shirts, Funkos or toys and he said no. Good luck... He said he was going to have weekly signings with artists and writers. I asked him who and when. No reply...

I asked him how he was going to promote his store. He said, we are doing Facebook... Not even Instagram. I mentioned these boards and that he could promote his signings in the Events section and other ways here. He just gave me a blank look and said sure. Man, this guy really hasn't done his homework. I wished him luck and said I'd stop by next time I'm in the area.

I have asked other collectors and people into comics to check out this site and not a one of them has ever done so. I said, a lot of friendly folks and a ton of information and friends to be made. They just don't seen interested.

Have you ever turned people on to these boards? Did any sign up or participate?

Yes, I've invited a bunch of people, I can think of a few who have joined and some even participate. I invite people when I talk to them on eBay. Over the years there have been 3 that  I can think of immediately, but I'm sure there are more.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

Yes, I've invited a bunch of people, I can think of a few who have joined and some even participate. I invite people when I talk to them on eBay. Over the years there have been 3 that  I can think of immediately, but I'm sure there are more.

I think that was where I 1st heard about the board, on the Ebay chat group.

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I think that was where I 1st heard about the board, on the Ebay chat group.

That's how I got here...I was nagged for about a year;) then I gave up;)

Catrick399 I nagged ummmm...invited;) he was from the Chatboard, and LoboAgain I met on eBay. I am thinking of at least 3 others, but 2 of them rarely post and one just buys stuff;)

3 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

1a.thumb.jpg.58544d55987bba2b9b7507223c0ca432.jpg

You are scary;) I'm just glad it was not full of my typical typos;) :foryou: 

Before I got here, I was warned by a dear friend not to jump in too soon, not to sell anything for a long time AND...most importantly ...NOT TO ((((Christian)))) hug people...(we did that a lot on the eBay board;)

Happy New Year!

10 hours ago, kav said:

I joined and was immediately attacked by the old guard.  It was high sport back then.  They thought they could run me off but nope.  Things have changed.

They did that to me too kav...

More than a few joins these boards with the potential to stick around long term, but the old guard/establishment quickly team up and drive them away  :sorry:

Edited by 1950's war comics

12 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

When you see 100-300 homeless on the block next to your LCS. Parking meters take cr card only, as the homeless will bash them in otherwise to get cash for cigarettes and donuts.  $$.

MMMMM, Cigarettes & Donuts! lol