• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convincing people to sign up for the CGC Boards
4 4

144 posts in this topic

I try to turn on people to these boards all the time. 95% of the time they have a lame excuse as to why they won't or even come here for a look.

A rare thing happened this week in my town. A new comic book store opened on Jan1st. I decided to cruise over and check it out. Friendly guy with a lot of hope and enthusiasm. Had two walls of new comics and a small table with 3 short boxes of $1. comics, that was it. I asked him if he had any older comics. He said no but he was counting on a lot of collections to walk in. Right... I asked him if he was going to have gaming, T-Shirts, Funkos or toys and he said no. Good luck... He said he was going to have weekly signings with artists and writers. I asked him who and when. No reply...

I asked him how he was going to promote his store. He said, we are doing Facebook... Not even Instagram. I mentioned these boards and that he could promote his signings in the Events section and other ways here. He just gave me a blank look and said sure. Man, this guy really hasn't done his homework. I wished him luck and said I'd stop by next time I'm in the area.

I have asked other collectors and people into comics to check out this site and not a one of them has ever done so. I said, a lot of friendly folks and a ton of information and friends to be made. They just don't seen interested.

Have you ever turned people on to these boards? Did any sign up or participate?

I've mentioned it to people too, but dont think anything ever comes of it....

Mostly at the lcs I'll ask if they're on here, but not much interest. The LCS will sub to cgc, but the owner and employees seem aware of how they've cultivated their patrons and are satisfied with what they have so far.

Both LCS have the random occasional signing but no cgc witness, I've got a sketch or 2.

I don't know that many who are into comics, other than the LCS acquaintances, who seem happy to just talk shop there :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yes. I've been highly successful. But that involves assuaging any reticence to comply. In those cases, you simply have to be more forceful, direct, and lay out the terms in no uncertain terms if they don't. Works like a charm.

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Have you ever turned people on to these boards?

Been trying to get your buddy Nastasi to sign up and participate FOR YEARS!

Maybe 2020 is the year..........:wishluck:

1 minute ago, DanCooper said:

Been trying to get your buddy Nastasi to sign up and participate FOR YEARS!

Maybe 2020 is the year..........:wishluck:

Would LOVE to see him on here. Haven't spoken to him in years. Maybe send him a link to the SOTI thread.

About a year ago, I finally got Readbeard to sign up and for a while he was posting in the thread he created quite a bit. It was fun. These two guys have so much knowledge and great stories if they wanted to participate.

Tell Bob I said Hi and wish him and John Knight would both come on and dazzle us with some stories...

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I try to turn on people to these boards all the time. 95% of the time they have a lame excuse as to why they won't or even come here for a look.

A rare thing happened this week in my town. A new comic book store opened on Jan1st. I decided to cruise over and check it out. Friendly guy with a lot of hope and enthusiasm. Had two walls of new comics and a small table with 3 short boxes of $1. comics, that was it. I asked him if he had any older comics. He said no but he was counting on a lot of collections to walk in. Right... I asked him if he was going to have gaming, T-Shirts, Funkos or toys and he said no. Good luck... He said he was going to have weekly signings with artists and writers. I asked him who and when. No reply...

I asked him how he was going to promote his store. He said, we are doing Facebook... Not even Instagram. I mentioned these boards and that he could promote his signings in the Events section and other ways here. He just gave me a blank look and said sure. Man, this guy really hasn't done his homework. I wished him luck and said I'd stop by next time I'm in the area.

I have asked other collectors and people into comics to check out this site and not a one of them has ever done so. I said, a lot of friendly folks and a ton of information and friends to be made. They just don't seen interested.

Opening a comic shop in 2020 without gaming/pokemon/etc is doomed....

Just now, comics4all said:

Opening a comic shop in 2020 without gaming/pokemon/etc is doomed....

People will just walk in and sell their dad's GA collections for cheap every day-I'm sure he'll be fine lol 

3 minutes ago, unclezebo said:

I gotta ask what are "urban campers"?

When you see 100-300 homeless on the block next to your LCS. Parking meters take cr card only, as the homeless will bash them in otherwise to get cash for cigarettes and donuts.  $$.

Just now, aardvark88 said:

When you see 100-300 homeless on the block next to your LCS. Parking meters take cr card only, as the homeless will bash them in otherwise to get cash for cigarettes and donuts.  $$.

I was thinking something like that.

1 minute ago, aardvark88 said:

One time I watched some homeless dude riding by on a bicycle grinning madly and nodding at me as he carried an uprooted parking meter towards the train tracks.  It was followed abt 30 sec later with lights and siren.  You can attack someone with a knife and maybe get probation but you **** with the government's money and you will be crushed.

My dad worked at the bulk mail center in KC, someone figured out a way to get free chips from the vending machine. It's a gov't owned vending machine so therefore the postal inspectors got him for a felony and sent him to fed prison. Stealing gov't property.

Edited by unclezebo