• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrightson & the Studio collection of Henry Hui

71 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It belongs in a museum for all to appreciate.  Better than any Frazetta, IMHO

Rob Pistella is the caretaker now. That man has an incredible appreciation for great art. I visit his CAF all the time and always stop by to absorb Age of Innocence. It simply is one of the finest paintings I’ve experienced in my 52 years (mostly wasted).

A masterpiece.

39 minutes ago, vodou said:

Last I heard -several years ago- it was going to Europe for $250k, but on a payment plan, so probably still in Rob's home?

FWIW I don't ascribe to the curator/caretaker view, it's property.

Yes it is property. 
Still I am on a mission to remind people to handle art with care. To share it. Preserve it. 

You can physically or legally possess property. But collectors can never truly “own” what they didn’t create. It passes through their hands eventually. IMO

On 9/5/2020 at 12:40 PM, grapeape said:

Yes it is property. 
Still I am on a mission to remind people to handle art with care. To share it. Preserve it. 

You can physically or legally possess property. But collectors can never truly “own” what they didn’t create. It passes through their hands eventually. IMO

And how different is that than real estate?   We don’t get to create that or bury it with us either.  

I understand the sentiment but also the counterpoint 

Edited by Bronty

On 9/6/2020 at 11:00 AM, Bronty said:

And how different is that than real estate?   We don’t get to create that or bury it with us either.  

I understand the sentiment but also the counterpoint 

Yes I’m conflicted but ok with it.

Vodou is right. I own each page of art I have paid for.

The sentiment: I have been doing this just long enough to know that the artists put their heart and soul into the work. Yes even the “hacks.” Many fed their families this way or paid a mortgage.

I can’t separate the two. This art was never meant to be worth these ridiculous sums. I’m glad they are. I think the money lends legitimacy for those who can’t see art for art sake. Gee whiz many gleefully point out most of this isn’t “art.”

Its art.

I met the greats. Shook hands. Became friends with some. It makes it harder to detach myself from their contributions. I always feel in some way the art still belongs  to them (artists).

When I buy a piece this is where my brain goes. 
1) Where did I first see the image?  (Nostalgia) 

2) How does the work move me spiritually and in the nervous system.

3) Ultimately my mind goes to the year the page was created

4) Finally I envision the artist, in the bullpen, or at his or her drawing table (Kirby) working on the very page I’m going after. Or that I “own.” That is the same, for me every time.

This is art. 
Not the finished product (I don’t care)

Its not art ( The hell it isn’t)

The artist a hack (not to everyone)

Im not a caretaker of art I’m an owner of property ( fine live in that world I prefer mine.) 

I was looking at these 3 pics. Yes Grapeape “owns” work from each of them. But I can never own what these artists had inside them to create those works.

Still I concede the point of property.

Nah....not exactly.

pics top to bottom grape to the left on each....

Harry Lampert 

Gene Colan

John Romita Sr.

7F321D0B-2AE7-4BA1-9419-F2433F6BD7DB.thumb.jpeg.b4cc1fdcbbd4f573e4852593cca87904.jpeg73CE10E6-15E0-4B39-A7E0-6886ED774AA9.thumb.jpeg.ac01639e500c0a350636971856b979d5.jpeg198D69BE-5816-4244-AD0F-A5D6D6A90737.thumb.jpeg.0aac116c3d8c8606f5102544c781d754.jpeg

Edited by grapeape

I guess this is as good as anyplace to ask this question.

Why did Wrightson leave Swamp Thing after 10 issues? Boredom, in-fighting, pay raise denied, demanding work load, new promising project? Anybody know for sure?

It doesn't seem like Wrightson stayed on anything for too long!

someone more knowledgeable will chime in but I thought it was that the work was just too demanding and he was spending too much time on detail

I once had an artist show me how Berni worked and the artist dipped his brush in the ink, tested it on the edge of the page or some scrap paper, got the consistency he needed and got 3 strokes out of it. Repeat. That could be more for the plates than ST, but I got the idea.

Edited by Bird