• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrightson & the Studio collection of Henry Hui

71 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, vodou said:

I've gotten used to 36x48 and 48x60. Even 30x40 feels a little light in comparison.

20x30, I don't even bother framing.

11x17 gets stacked like cordwood.

Depends on what we collect right.   Can you imagine comic art at 60 by 48?   Yuck!  The medium is not suited to that kind of size.   Painted illustrations are suited to the size I collect so it’s what I like.    Stuff that gets closer to fine art works largest of all, and so you don’t mind that size.

so the comic guy likes his tiny pieces of paper, the illustration collector likes pieces the size of a window and the fine art guy likes pieces the size of a door.  Partly because those different mediums work at those different sizes. 

..to generalize and oversimplify. 

Edited by Bronty

Anything above 32 inches doesn’t work in my storage site and needs special consideration, so there’s a PITA factor for me.    I like buying art I won’t hang, I have so many pieces that I could never conceivably hang them all.    One at 84 inches is one you’re committing to hanging because the wall is probably the best spot to store it.   That’s more real estate than I want to dedicate to any piece for the most part. 

I understand people who feel differently, I just like 30, am fine with 40, can deal with 50 but above that I cry uncle 

Edited by Bronty

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

Can you imagine comic art at 60 by 48?   Yuck!  The medium is not suited to that kind of size.

Roy would disagree lol

image.png.dad47e92672f306979390ec9f6c3944a.png

As would most Junji Ito fans (though these are all blown up reproductions, I believe, not originals).

image.thumb.png.9749ed486bde326d8178d660fceaec26.png

No Final Fantasy (Amano) fans around either? I just don't believe it lol

image.png.015d78f49d26fe4bd6080bfd5e898720.png

🙄

I meant pen and ink at large scale.    The two things don’t go together well.   

Not paint in a comic style, not brush and ink, pen and ink.   Would be laborious and not look good for the most part.   Think Joe Schmucklack work only 7 ft tall. 

Edited by Bronty

5 minutes ago, vodou said:

and, so...?

Not to be picayune, but you wrote "comic art"...you'll get no agreement that that's only "pen and ink" :foryou:

🙄 and I edited that already before you posted 

Edited by Bronty

19 minutes ago, Bronty said:

pen and ink

Straw man argument.

Larger support necessitates larger tools, so not "pen" nor 1oz bottles of "ink" lol

image.png.9a0ec3810366963acd6084b1b21bf766.png

Smaller tools, yes even (small) brushes!, are appropriate for smaller support surfaces...like, um, 11x17 or 14x20 bristol board ;)

17 minutes ago, vodou said:

:)

Not quite or I couldn't have quoted it lol

Since we are being pedantic , that’s not true.   You need only start not finish the quote before the edit.    Nyah. :p

Edited by Bronty

15 minutes ago, vodou said:

Straw man argument.

Larger support necessitates larger tools, so not "pen" nor 1oz bottles of "ink" lol

image.png.9a0ec3810366963acd6084b1b21bf766.png

Smaller tools, yes even (small) brushes!, are appropriate for smaller support surfaces...like, um, 11x17 or 14x20 bristol board ;)

Dude I’m going to let you be you but I’m done with this convo.   You’ve known the whole time what I was getting at ;) and yes a small fine pen stroke wants a smaller surface than a large brush.    Exactly the point.   A truly large piece done with a truly small nib means it’s hard to get contrast and it’s laborious (remember me writing that?) and the end result is probably going to be flawed, unimpressive and take truly copious amounts of time 

Edited by Bronty

46 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Since we are being pedantic , that’s not true.   You need only start not finish the quote before the edit.    Nyah. :p

Correct. I didn't edit because I don't do so for content (mistakes!), just typos or greater legibility, not to back-pedal ;)

That I'll do in a separate post...like now lol

As I've written before, my own integrity requires that I own my mistakes - in perpetuity.

45 minutes ago, Bronty said:

You’ve known the whole time what I was getting at ;)

Not quite. I've disagreed with you the whole time and am (still) waiting for you to concede!

46 minutes ago, Bronty said:

and yes a small fine pen stroke wants a smaller surface than a large brush.    Exactly the point.   A truly large piece done with a truly small nib means it’s hard to get contrast and it’s laborious (remember me writing that?) and the end result is probably going to be flawed, unimpressive and take truly copious amounts of time 

...sorry Bronty just noise, nothing new, and invalid (bolds) too. Unless you reject Joe Coleman and anybody that likes his work outright.

https://www.fullerton.edu/arts/art/begovich_gallery/past_exhibitions/2016-2017/coleman_detail.php

I specifically point this: Painting with a single-hair brush and a jeweler’s loupe, the artist states he only knows when the painting is done because he runs out of room on the canvas.

and this:

image.thumb.png.189cfc649219e5a5520e2a38d43293c1.png

Are we still going to argue that the above is not comic art? And that nobody wants that?

I would argue the primarily and likely only barrier to most comic art fans owning the above would be:

1. price, and
  2. wall space to hang

It's okay to stick with your opinion here but (imo) a mistake to make the larger all-encompassing statements for everyone else :foryou:

Michael - I just have one last thing to say.    Take an average Herb Trimpe page and blow it up to to seven feet tall.   I dare you.   :flamed:

As far as the rest, you can be "right" if you like, since that seems to be the most important thing to you today :baiting:

Edited by Bronty

13 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Take an average Herb Trimpe page and blow it up to to seven feet tall.   I dare you.   :flamed:

Awful. Of course. (at any size :devil: )

16 minutes ago, Bronty said:

As far as the rest, you can be "right" if you like, since that seems to be the most important thing to you today :baiting:

Naw...just not willingly to let sweeping generalizations slide today. (or probably any day)

There are many examples of -broadly- comic/comic-like art (sufficient for the narrower minds here to still have interest!) that can/does work at larger than usual b/w size to negate the opposite.

I wanted to use your post as the opportunity to express that for everybody to consider...not just you.

No more, no less :)

14 minutes ago, vodou said:

Naw...just not willingly to let sweeping generalizations slide today. (or probably any day)

I LITERALLY started the convo by saying it was a generalization and oversimplification.    So I'm pretty sure I didn't need to have this exchange with you (and I doubt anyone enjoyed reading it) to confirm what I clearly stated in my preamble to all this.

Edited by Bronty