• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What art/artists have dropped in popularity?

77 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2020 at 8:08 AM, Jay Olie Espy said:

I'm an Alex Ross fan. Admittedly, I prefer his mid-nineties stuff over his 2000s work, with few exceptions. I've said before I follow his market. I think the Alex Ross market is an odd beast. He's a cover artist 99% of the time with new Marvel covers starting at $20K. Not a lot of buyers at that price point; but his BEST NEW covers do sell at $25K+. Nonetheless, to me, those prices give the impression that no one wants to collect him. If he did more interiors (and if the interiors he does complete were more readily available...) I think he would garner more interest among collectors.

Otherwise, his early prelims sell well and quick. Give or take a year ago Comiclink sold a Kingdom Come T-shirt prelim for $1100 and a few months ago Burkey sold it for ~$2.5K quickly. CL also sold that Kingdom Come Chapter divider for about $3K (it's on auction again), which was a lot more than what the initial seller wanted it for. A B/B+ Marvels page sold on eBay last fall (to the Brothers) for $4250. Hans K. quickly sold a Superman prelim for $3K. So I do think the demand and popularity is there...for the reasonable stuff.

I will concede that Alex Ross is missing from many good collections on CAF. That might say something too. Oh, and the naysayers here on the board.

P.S. If anyone has a Marvels page they want to dump before his investment plummets, talk to me!

You have presented good data and I agree with you.

Although I think it is not just the early prelims that sell quick.  I think those that want Ross at a lower pricepoint want a good prelim of famous characters, and even recent ones that fit this criteria have sold.  If you look on the Comic Art Tracker, not much good polished Alex Ross Big Two stuff comes up for sale.  A lot of what shows up are false hits from Sal's CAF gallery that are still incorrectly listed as FS even though they have already sold or off the beaten track characters.  

That Catwoman from Comiclink went for an increased price than what I thought it would.  I thought it would have gone for about $15-17.  It went way past my estimate.  I think there clearly is a market at the $25-35 range for good representatives of his art even outside of Kingdom Come and Marvels.

At the LA Art Shows last year I went all around looking for Alex Ross art from the dealers and there were no pieces available.  Maybe I saw one, which I didn't like.  I asked around at many of the big dealers.  No one had anything.  While it may be true that many good collections on CAF don't have any Alex Ross showing, most of his art in private hands is not being shown and is not on the market, so they must be sitting hidden in collections.  For example, there is a guy on CAF who owns a lot of early Alex Ross stuff and I spoke to him and made him big offers and he says he will never sell.  If he did sell, I'm sure those would go for a high value.   I have heard from a reliable source that many in recent years are going to Asia and hanging on walls there and not coming up for sale.  When his good art like the Silver Surfer/FF page from Marvels or the Catwoman cover have come to auction, they went for solid increasing prices, just like the rest of the comic art market.

There are some Alex Ross pieces I have been waiting to surface for over 15 years and I haven't seen any of them.  There are newer pieces from the last year I liked and tried to acquire and were gone quickly even at a high price.   If anyone has nice Alex Ross pieces for sale please let me know.   

Also if we are to believe that theory that art or cultural touchstones will increase in price 30 years after they are released, we still have yet to see the beginning of "the Alex Ross" career in this window.

On 1/5/2020 at 4:00 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Furthermore, I know there are a fair number of high 5 and 6 figure Ross pieces which don’t seem to sell. Does that mean he is less popular, or the pricing has outpaced perceived value? Would I still buy one at a more reasonable price? Yes. 

Serious question.  I could be interested in a high 5 and 6 figure Ross piece, because it has to be one of only a handful.  What pieces do you know that fit this criteria?  There are some pieces I have been looking for over the last 15 years and have never seen for sale.

4 hours ago, Peter L said:

Serious question.  I could be interested in a high 5 and 6 figure Ross piece, because it has to be one of only a handful.  What pieces do you know that fit this criteria?  There are some pieces I have been looking for over the last 15 years and have never seen for sale.

Just go to Alex Ross Art. https://www.alexrossart.com/Alex-Ross-Original-Art_c_29.html

You will find other references in Comic Art Fans.

There are a lot of them. Unsold.

Independent of whether or not things still listed for sale have already sold ( ??? ) and are left up due to laziness or bait-n-switch marketing...I cannot remember the last art day announcement for a notable (not pencil prelim) Alex Ross. I'm old. My memory could just suck, I'm allowing for that, but I think it's been fifteen years or more. Alex friggin' who?!!

Asia can have 'em.

image.png.23297213d440c2bfe3519d9f2144cb09.png

All of 'em.

I think first and foremost buy art that you like and don't worry what anyone else thinks.    My personal tastes run to artists with energy and heart-- and seldom does a photo realistic piece of work do much for me.    In a broad sense I'd take a Darwyn Cooke or a Will Eisner over anyone in the Alex Ross/Neal Adams category-- but to each his own.   I don't think Original Art will ever lose its core value but that doesn't mean you aren't at risk for buying something inflated, that's why if you like it the price is secondary.

29 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

I don't think Original Art will ever lose its core value but that doesn't mean you aren't at risk for buying something inflated, that's why if you like it the price is secondary.

Let me present the example of Odon Hullenkremer.

Best I can tell this dude was the bee's knees for nearly his entire lifetime.

A thirty-inch by twenty-four-inch portrait was valued at $7000 in 1973.

from: https://www.medicinemangallery.com/odon-hullenkremer-biography

But tastes change and the people that paid those kinds of prices, well nobody lives forever and their heirs taking over holding those sweet Hullenkremers are more used to results like this now:

Odon Hullenkremer | Santo Domingo Indian
Sold for $600

Such is life.

53 minutes ago, vodou said:

Let me present the example of Odon Hullenkremer.

Best I can tell this dude was the bee's knees for nearly his entire lifetime.

A thirty-inch by twenty-four-inch portrait was valued at $7000 in 1973.

from: https://www.medicinemangallery.com/odon-hullenkremer-biography

But tastes change and the people that paid those kinds of prices, well nobody lives forever and their heirs taking over holding those sweet Hullenkremers are more used to results like this now:

Odon Hullenkremer | Santo Domingo Indian
Sold for $600

Such is life.

Agree.  If you are buying during the lifetime of an artist at the peak of their powers as an artist,

there is a strong likelihood your money spent will not be recovered in your lifetime.  But,

that is not why you bought it, hopefully.

David

On 1/5/2020 at 4:34 AM, AnkurJ said:

In regards to OA only, not variants, prints etc....Ross does great originals but the prices have gone too high for the average collector. Most covers start at 20k. Love his art but just can’t justify that much for a modern painting. And with the sheer quantity being nice produced, it’s an imbalance of supply vs demand. Often times you’ll see his pieces on dealer sites for below the initial retail ask.

For Campbell, his two biggest buyers have dropped out for a few reasons which has hurt his market. A Spider-Man cover sold for around $8500 at auction last month. A few years ago even if you were able to buy one, the asking prices were 15-20k. 

Perhaps the sales of all other merchandise has made art sales a lower priority.

Remembered this discussion when I saw... holy crappola JSC with the 20k hammer.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/j-scott-campbell-warlord-of-mars-1-b-dejah-thoris-cover-original-art-dynamite-entertainment-2010-/a/7224-94046.s?type=bidnotice-dailystatus

Granted -- I think it's one of his strongest works.  As in, literally top 5.

3 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/j-scott-campbell-warlord-of-mars-1-b-dejah-thoris-cover-original-art-dynamite-entertainment-2010-/a/7224-94046.s?type=bidnotice-dailystatus

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

4 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Yet an iconic black cat amazing Spider-Man cover sold this week in comic link for $7500! 

1 minute ago, AnkurJ said:

Yet an iconic black cat amazing Spider-Man cover sold this week in comic link for $7500! 

Right?  Despite JSC works all seeming like clones to his haterz (understandable), I think his fan(atics) are increasingly making comparisons between routine GGA vs. killer GGA examples of his.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:11 AM, Timely said:

I'm kind of shocked that Budd Root is the #4 search in the last 30 days. Perhaps I sold my load a bit too early!  lol!

I'm not surprised...Budd's work continues to be amazing.  I'm not just saying that because he's a friend and I have a bunch of his stuff. I don't think... :insane: I do know that he's one of very few guys I get commissions from, and it's a thrill every single time. 

I was watching some Liefeld Splash pages on eBay from Badrock #1 that didn’t sell for an auction starting price of $300.  It was classic Liefeld at a very fair price. I would have bought em but my wallet has been takin a beating.