• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie and Creepy 1970's - First and Last Two Page Color
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I'm hoping someone out there may have knowledge about Eerie and Creepy paper used in the early 1970's. Attached are two photos each of Creepy 67 from 1974 and Eerie 52 from 1973. The first photo of each does not use flash, the second photo of each does use flash. 

What is shown is page six on the left and page seven on the right. The first six pages of Warren magazines, including the front side and back side of the cover, include the table of contents, letters, etc. and the stories usually start on page seven. You can see that the coloring of the two pages are quite different. It's almost as though there were different grades of paper used for the first four pages, and last four pages since they wrap around, compared to the rest of the interior pages. I'm used to seeing newsprint type pages from this era turning tan or brown especially around the exterior pages and at the margin. However, in both these cases the exterior pages are mostly solid colors of yellow or almost red while the rest of the interior pages are a nice cream to off-white with next to no tanning. 

I own around sixty Eerie and Creepy magazines from the sixties to the eighties and these are the only two that I can recall having this discoloration on the first and last pages but I'm wondering if there are more from the seventies that look like this. 

Does anyone have a good explanation for this? Also, would this effect the grading in any way? As I mentioned, other than the off-coloring of the first few and last few pages the rest of the interior pages are very nice. 

It really looks like two different grades of paper were used; one of the stories in the middle and another for the ads and letters on the outside. 

Creepy 67 01a.jpg

Creepy 67 02a.jpg

Eerie 52 01a.jpg

Eerie 52 02a.jpg

They are intentionally different papers, published that way.  There are many, many other issues with the same condition.  I'm at work right now and can't check but I'll post later. It's the same time period at Warren that it shows up so around Creepy 67/Eerie 51/Vampirella 39 all have the same setup as I recall.  It may coincide with the color insert period.

You're right, it's a different type of paper stock. This is a common occurrence in Warren mags from this period. I attribute this to an effort to make the books appear more distinctive, but it didn't last very long. It doesn't affect the grade...

And Welcome to the Boards!!!  

Edited by The Lions Den

On 1/4/2020 at 11:18 AM, marcusj50 said:

Does anyone have a good explanation for this? Also, would this effect the grading in any way? As I mentioned, other than the off-coloring of the first few and last few pages the rest of the interior pages are very nice. 

I believe Bill Dubay was asserting significant influence, but there was a bit of experimentation...like different colored pages.

Thanks all for the feedback. Makes me feel better about the magazines I've collected recently. 

On a side note, it seems that those who have responded to this thread have some great experience with Warren magazines. If you have any advice on where I should be looking around for higher grade copies please let me know. I try to monitor a few different sites now but I'm always looking to add more. I also try to visit shops when I travel but that is hit or miss. 

Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, marcusj50 said:

Thanks all for the feedback. Makes me feel better about the magazines I've collected recently. 

On a side note, it seems that those who have responded to this thread have some great experience with Warren magazines. If you have any advice on where I should be looking around for higher grade copies please let me know. I try to monitor a few different sites now but I'm always looking to add more. I also try to visit shops when I travel but that is hit or miss. 

Thanks again! 

At the risk of lessening my chances at bargains. I would look right where you are, here on the boards. There are so many great sellers here of horror goodness.

While you're at check out my journals. I'm all about Warren horror.

8 hours ago, marcusj50 said:

Thanks again! 

As Oakman said, there are a lot of great magazines sold here on the boards.  @bountycoder @Stevemmg @The Lions Den and others are often selling quality material.  Occasionally, I do also.  In fact, I need to cull the stacks pretty badly right now...

Otherwise, ebay had been the most fruitful for me and many others, although it's pretty hit or miss on grading.  Also, mycomicshop.com is a very strict grader and they often have some nice magazines.  (thumbsu

And as Johnny said before, welcome to the boards!  The magazine section is my favorite place on this forum.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:57 AM, marcusj50 said:

Thanks again! 

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here---these guys are the best!  (worship)