• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your NON COMIC Cool Collectables!!
2 2

67 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

so a seller of that item has to scrape off all the rust first and maintain it until it sells right  ? wow too much work 

Yes, and the oil used to coat it makes it smell so the case helps with the smell also.

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 minute ago, Duffman_Comics said:

These are great, but what a dusting nightmare . . .

HA! So true.  I have not figured out the best way to clean them.  If I spray them with water and don't dry them well the bronze will turn green I fear (not too bad a thing I guess).  They are fragile also.  I have been using canned air but it doesn't do that good of a job....

I've posted my Barks paintings in other threads but I've never posted my wood carvings by Joe Ortega. Joe is a folk artist whose family is known for their wood carvings. The triceratops looking critter is actually a Zuniceratops Joe made for us on request. The Zuiceratops has only been found in New Mexico so far. The 7 foot tall giraffe needs no explanation. :insane:

WP_20200104_14_23_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20200104_14_23_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20200104_14_24_14_Pro.jpg

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

"Cool" is whatever you think is cool!  Are they First Editions?

Yes, all are first editions. 

There’s 3 more what I would call “principle” first editions to have this collection semi-complete - The Outward Urge, Consider Her Ways, and Chocky. 

By a quark of publishing, the US editions of Day of the Triffids and The Chrysalids preceded the UK editions, though the UK editions are the preferred text. 

I would like to get the US first edition of Day of the Triffids as I really like the jacket artwork. As for The Chrysalids - called Rebirth in the US - the paperback was released simultaneously with the hardcover and has the same Richard Powers artwork. Not sure if I want to plunk down for the hardcover or just get the paperback and call it good. 

There’s 3 books that Wyndham published earlier under the name John Beynon and 3 collections of his short stories that were published about 10 years after his death. All are expensive so if I can pick them up great, but aren’t really a priority for me. 

3 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Tiki Mugs  (much like comics, I prefer older ones, but got some newer ones as well). 

tikimugs.JPG

Mondo does some cool Tiki mugs. They had some monster ones this October including a really nice Creature from the Black Lagoon. Do you dabble much in those?

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

HA! So true.  I have not figured out the best way to clean them.  If I spray them with water and don't dry them well the bronze will turn green I fear (not too bad a thing I guess).  They are fragile also.  I have been using canned air but it doesn't do that good of a job....

That is the coolest sheit EVER!

Since the Motion Picture set is so easy and inexpensive set, I thought it would be fun to buy a wax box and open packs to put a set together. 

It was fun...until I got the last card needed in the 8th to last pack and the last sticker I needed in the 3rd to last pack. That got pretty nerve-racking. If I hadn’t, it would have made the set WAY more expensive to complete than necessary. 

Pictured is the 3 different versions of the wax wrapper (I have more if anybody needs some, lol) 

I also have 3 of the 4 bread release sets of these cards. The 4 with the orange boarder are actually clear window stickers that were distributed in gumball machines

3F1D6C30-4B98-442F-9382-3CADFB985C54.jpeg

49996197-09F6-4C3B-9711-48FEBC0CC6B7.jpeg

Edited by Number 6

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Mondo does some cool Tiki mugs. They had some monster ones this October including a really nice Creature from the Black Lagoon. Do you dabble much in those?

Not really, most of what I try for are defunct restaurants that used them back in the day.  Occasionally, I see a newer one, made by an artist that I like and pick up.

4 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I thought bronze statues came waxed

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

I thought bronze statues came waxed

Maybe, I have no idea :roflmao:.  I do know each of those pieces is molded separately and then forged together.  I did notice some green in the eye orbits of the T-rex (it's not too bad). I think is from the humidity.  If you are correct then maybe I'll spray it down with distilled water and blow dry it every so often....

Edited by Xenosmilus