• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your NON COMIC Cool Collectables!!
2 2

67 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I also have a stop-and-start collection of non-sports trading cards. Meaning I get intensely into it for a bit, buy several sets and then stop cold-turkey to pursue other stuff. Done that a couple of times and will probably do it again. 

My favorite is the Topps Star Trek set. I actually started to put this set together PSA graded. 8 and 8.5 are pretty nice cards and generally not that expansive. Still, it really started to add up and I realized I’m not that into cards so I sold those and settled for a raw set. 

These aren’t nice enough to get graded - a lot of off-center images, some have wax residue and the stickers have roller marks as usual - but in terms of wear-and-tear they’re pack fresh and no gum stains on the stickers. 

I know the Leaf set is more rare and valuable, and has the distinction of being one of the few pieces of merchandise produced during the original airing of the show. 

But the Topps set, for me, captures how colorful the original series was. 

Also pictured are a couple of sets from candy distribution. 

E15B824D-98CC-4D9C-AE96-4DF51F7DA3EF.jpeg

Were you old enough when the original was on the air? I wonder how popular the show was when it was actually airing? I've heard it didn't really take hold until after it ended like maybe early 70"s

2 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Maybe, I have no idea :roflmao:.  I do know each of those pieces is molded separately and then forged together.  I did notice some green in the eye orbits of the T-rex (it's not too bad). I think is from the humidity.  If you are correct then maybe I'll spray it down with distilled water and blow dry it every so often....

Contact the artist or seller to see how they’re finished. The way I thought it went was the bronze statue was given the desired patina and then sealed, which is how some bronze statues still have shiny parts and you typically don’t see any turn green 

My latest collectibles are sneakers. Since tearing my ACL in July :preach: ... I've bought 5 pairs of new kicks - mostly Giannis Zoom Freak 1s and the new Jordans.

I just popped on a CGC 9.8 slab and lamented that I'd have to wait a while to buy more shoes :ohnoez:

17 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

My latest collectibles are sneakers. Since tearing my ACL in July :preach: ... I've bought 5 pairs of new kicks - mostly Giannis Zoom Freak 1s and the new Jordans.

I just popped on a CGC 9.8 slab and lamented that I'd have to wait a while to buy more shoes :ohnoez:

That sounds painful! Glad your healthy to be so cheerful now :foryou:

Congrats on the slab too though, and hope the Jordan's do right by you!

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Were you old enough when the original was on the air? I wonder how popular the show was when it was actually airing? I've heard it didn't really take hold until after it ended like maybe early 70"s

Very popular.  It was a weekly event in our house to watch it.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

one of my grails someday is a decent looking Catherine Ruble

If you mean Catherine II (the Great), her silver rubles are quite common and you should be able to get one for a few hundred dollars. Catherine I is a bit spendier.

19 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I was born in ‘72 so I missed the original airing but literally from the time I was in diapers grew up watching Star Trek in syndicated re-runs. 

I know my mom said she watched it when it originally aired but I don’t know if she had any sense of what it’s overall popularity was at the time. 

One of the theories I have heard posited for Star Trek’s increased popularity during the 70’s is that the networks started studying viewer demographics after the show was cancelled. 

Apparently, based on the demographics the show had some pretty poor time slots during it’s original run. When I was growing up the re-runs aired at the ideal time of 5:00 pm Saturday afternoon. 

There was also a proliferation of Star Trek merchandise during the 70’s that was largely absent during it’s original run. I had Star Trek figures, coloring books, Viewmasters, t-shirts, utility belt, a bunch of stuff. 

I actually didn’t have the Topps Star Trek trading cards when I was a kid. I think my first trading cards were a pack of the Series 2 Star Wars cards. 

But yeah, Star Trek was a big part of my formative years. My 4th birthday was Star Trek themed. 

DAB335FC-79AC-4870-8D67-8FE1B8D3C59F.jpeg

Looks like the place to be man! Way to go (thumbsu 

You must be familiar with season 1 episode 10 (1966) where the Starship encounters "Balok" the creepy menacing alien ship commander...balok.thumb.jpg.9d9553461f519783a48e5515ecde4278.jpg

...Who turns out to be lonely little Clint Howard just looking for some company lol...balok-corbomite.jpg.9a6801d52a670583a6441f5817a2fc63.jpg

Ive seen it a million times never gets old! Suprisingly I don't think there's a non comic collecting Star Trek thread after checking the search but I'm sure someone will link one (or more) if there are