• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ebay, even when I win - I lose?

11 posts in this topic

Apologies for venting, but this is new for me. Last month I won and promptly paid for two slabs on ebay. The first a BIN, the second an auction win. On both occasions and after a couple of days, both transactions were cancelled and my money refunded, The BIN seller even admitted that he set the price too low and couldn't possibly sell to me. I've heard of buyer's remorse, but is seller's remorse 'a thing' now? :frustrated:

Obviously I can walk away with my funds intact but my underlying concern is whether there is a growing trend for both seller's and buyer's not to honour their ebay transactions? Or, have I just been lucky for the last fifteen years or so?

If there's a specific thread for this topic, please advise, thanks :)

I'm not sure if eBay tracks that like for buyer (non-paying event), but you should be able to leave feedback.  I know when a case is closed due to non-paying, feedback can't be left, but if the payment was just refunded, maybe you still can.

As far as trends, I can honestly say, I've been using eBay since 2006 and I've never had that happen, specifically in recent times.

Sorry to hear about the situation as I can imagine it has to be frustrating (not to mention other opportunities you may have passed up for these two).

DJ

I've seen prices sold lately that I couldn't believe the seller would go through with it, lol a FF#48 5.5 at $515 or something....

I've been wondering what the seller was thinking, BIN "can" be a mistake, although unlikely, but an auction should be honored .... well both really.

But I haven't had these issues to answer your question, I've come to terms with eBay that when something looks too good to be true it is.

11 minutes ago, mrc said:

Apologies for venting, but this is new for me. Last month I won and promptly paid for two slabs on ebay. The first a BIN, the second an auction win. On both occasions and after a couple of days, both transactions were cancelled and my money refunded, The BIN seller even admitted that he set the price too low and couldn't possibly sell to me. I've heard of buyer's remorse, but is seller's remorse 'a thing' now? :frustrated:

Obviously I can walk away with my funds intact but my underlying concern is whether there is a growing trend for both seller's and buyer's not to honour their ebay transactions? Or, have I just been lucky for the last fifteen years or so?

I’m afraid to say that the case with sellers canceling is ever increasing 

the reason for most of those occurrences is multi-platform listing, mainly Facebook. 
Ive had 3-4 sellers who I bought BINS/auctions from and they all said that they’re sorry they had to cancel because they listed the same book on fb and got a better deal there (minus eBay fees of course)

Of course you can neg the heck out of them but most of those sellers do not take they’re business seriously to begin with so any act of retribution is not gonna get you the book back 

3 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:
19 minutes ago, mrc said:

I’m afraid to say that the case with sellers canceling is ever increasing 

the reason for most of those occurrences is multi-platform listing, mainly Facebook. 
Ive had 3-4 sellers who I bought BINS/auctions from and they all said that they’re sorry they had to cancel because they listed the same book on fb and got a better deal there (minus eBay fees of course)

Of course you can neg the heck out of them but most of those sellers do not take they’re business seriously to begin with so any act of retribution is not gonna get you the book back 

I would take this to heart :x

As AweandLorder has won things cheap that does ship, sometimes is it just worth it to try? I mean if something is a good deal, then maybe it'll ship? idk, except for those that are sellers on ebay from "china" or the "russian federation" that are obvious scams....

I've seen people post in the "ebay all I do is win" thread that, in my mind, it just ended up working out, but is always iffy until it arrives at your door?

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I would take this to heart :x

As AweandLorder has won things cheap that does ship, sometimes is it just worth it to try? I mean if something is a good deal, then maybe it'll ship? idk, except for those that are sellers on ebay from "china" or the "russian federation" that are obvious scams....

I've seen people post in the "ebay all I do is win" thread that, in my mind, it just ended up working out, but is always iffy until it arrives at your door?

Thank you. And yes, I've won a few books that would have made great additions to my collection that were cancelled, one seller went even as far as sending me a replacement random comic as a form of apology. I knew they were coming from a good place yet clueless about the hobby. But still, winning a Spidey #1 treasury signed and numbered by Stan & Johnny for under $10 DID hurt when it was cancelled.

I had 1 comic I won cheaply in a poorly made auction. The seller claimed they lost it or some other similar nonsense and refunded my money. it’s rare but it happens in my experience.

4 hours ago, mrc said:

"All part of the same cosmic globule" is what the astonishingly cerebral Rosie has to say about losing, even when you win, and vice-versa. I hope she cleared that up for you: 

6 hours ago, mrc said:

I know it's not important 

But could you provide more context?

What books?

What Price?

Problem with Ebay is people don't wanna pay their ridiculous vig

Happened to me a few months ago too.  A poorly listed three book auction.   I had been watching the price drop every time it was re-listed for months, finally got to a price I was willing to pay, and then boom instead of a tracking number an 'it's out of stock' notice.  I was un-able to leave feedback.  A month or two later guess what popped up from the same seller, with a 10x price and much more professional listing.