• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2019 - Discussion Thread

25 posts in this topic

Here are my nominees for Best of 2019

Unpublished: Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches
I saw one like this and all my plans to get a Daredevil Yellow from Tim vanished. When Essential Sequential offered commissions for a reasonable price for pickup at HeroesCon, it was a faster than you can blink signup. I’m thrilled with this piece. It thought it would be done before the show, but it was not. Tim worked on and finished it that weekend; hence, this category.
Femme Fatale (Catwoman) by Tim Sale, Comic Art
Published: Splash Pages, Pinups
I love group shots and this is a tremendous one - the JLA, the JSA, and the Kingdom Come Superman! Couldn’t believe that Spencer had it when I stumbled over it at HeroesCon. I really am thrilled with this one though I do wish the headshots were part of it.

Published: Interior Pages

Lovely and expressive art and a good story. Check it out. I particularly like the individual faces and the expressions on Cap’n Bill’s face; he’s the cat. The colors are brilliant and don’t show as well on my scan as they do in person.

Sea Sirens pg. 68 by Janet K. Lee, Comic Art

Unpublished: Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches

Dave nailed this piece - from the mind of a genius, we get great characters. The reference photos and some others supplied by his granddaughter, Chelle are in the Additional Images.

Sheldon Mayer and his Creations by Dave Aikins, Comic Art

Published/Unpublished: Commissions
One of my sub-themes is faux Sugar and Spike #100 Covers. The series made it to 98. DC did a 99 as a special. Surely #100 is inevitable, and they will need variant covers so I’m helping! You can see the others here.

Sugar and Spike #100 Cover featuring The Muppet Babies by Scott Shaw, Comic Art

Honorable Mention
Universo defeated the Legion on more than one occasion, yet, the team would find a way to victory. I’m not so sure that will happen this time. John nails the Legion everytime.

Legion/LSH vs. Universo by John Watson, Comic Art

Keith recreates one of my all-time favorite covers. Mon-El’s determination is one of his best character traits and Keith nails it. This is actually one of my must unexpected and appreciated commissions.
 Legion of Super-Heroes (1989, FYL, LSH) 4 Cover Recreation (Mon-El) by Keith Giffen, Comic Art

Unpublished Published: Other
Blacksad and Andy's Kitties by Andy Price
Not much to say, it’s just funny. I picked it up at the Baltimore Comic Con 2019
image.png.9d108af030d7143f5a4a657631eef5ff.png

If I’d known this Kickstarter perk was going to be this good, I’d have pledged for the larger size. Simply beautiful to my eyes.

Eliza and Willow the cat from Willowbrook by Emma Kubert, Comic Art

Steve has a great feel for funny and I think this image pairing S&S with Sir Quimp and the dragon babies is great. Look at the expression on Quimp’s face.

Sugar and Spike #100 Cover featuring Sir Quimp from The Middle Ages by Steve Conley, Comic Art

A terrific take on my faux S&S 100 cover theme. I’m sure Supergirl was hired to babysit; I think she has it under control. J

Sugar and Spike #100 Cover featuring Supergirl by Matthew Childers, Comic Art
Edited by alxjhnsn

Bill and I have discussed the feedback I received last year from collectors on changes they would like for the "Best of". Bill decided he wants to try and expand and encourage more people to enter and vote for the "Best of". It is now its own section on CAF and open to all CAF members. Bill also decided to take it slow this year and wanted to concentrate on expanding participation. Of all the feedback from last year two big requests:

Ability to add items to "Best of" by choosing from items already uploaded in your own CAF Galleries

Move to the next or previous entry in a category without having to go out of the entry, into the main category then select the next entry.

These two requests seemed to be the biggest pain points for people in regards the "Best of". Since participants would be selecting from their CAF Galleries for "Best of", Bill decided to limit the list to what has been upload during 2019 and would help shorten the number of pieces to scroll thru. The one exception is for the premium members, any of their "For Sale" items appear in that list, but we request people to NOT include "For Sale" items. If I find any entries that have "For Sale" I will email the owner so they can remove them and select a non-sale item. Bill and I have been trying to make participating in the "Best of" easier for all to get more involvement. Please do adhere to the few rules we have. 

Thank you.

Brian Peck

Edited by Brian Peck

My submissions . . .

PUBLISHED SPLASH PAGES/PIN-UPS

The Amazing Spider-Man # 32 splash by Steve Ditko

935605995_Bestof1.jpg.826a48a2a41bb8bebc35ab64067e044d.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?Piece=1592175

UNPUBLISHED/PUBLISHED OTHER

FLOODS OF FEAR (1959) movie poster painting by Reynold Brown

447646791_Bestof2.jpg.c1372e2fc3d0671736e9686c30def60a.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1533593

THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1973) movie poster painting by Brian Bysouth

1181678878_Bestof3.jpg.491d926afb6436f7728e7c6c9c664b4d.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1534330

THE NIGHT WALKER (1964) movie poster conceptual illustration by Reynold Brown

1551228151_Bestof4.jpg.c171c1af8c89f1bd6aae8f384edf870d.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1534050

THE POWER (1968) unused finished movie poster painting by Gray Morrow

1089904131_Bestof5.jpg.5740379b971f2a60244498e25ba81f25.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1541955

Don't do 'Honourable Mentions', sorry, as I think it's just blurring the selection.

Best of 1.jpg

Edited by The Voord

For your consideration...

Batman Annual #4 page 13

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1596756

Batman Annual #4 page 13 Comic Art

Published/Unpublished: Covers

Space Bandits Cover - Issue 2

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1573371

Space Bandits Cover - Issue 2 Comic Art

Published: Interior Panel Pages

Conan the Barbarian (2019) #8 pg 2

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1568107

Conan the Barbarian (2019) #8 pg 2 Comic Art

Conan the Barbarian (2019) #8 pg 4

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1568110

Conan the Barbarian (2019) #8 pg 4 Comic Art

The Magic Order #6 page 6

https://www.comicartfans.com/bestofpiece.asp?piece=1581997

The Magic Order #6 page 6 Comic Art

2 hours ago, dichotomy said:

[T]he selecting of my 5th piece is proving practically impossible. 

The fifth one is a killer - always. I decided to spread my pieces across categories so a couple of my favorites were left off. Tough calls.

Edited by alxjhnsn

I don't know about the rest of you, but the change I'd like to see next is the ability to easily add a comment to the permanent piece. I can see at least two reasonable implementations:

1) Add to the Best of Entry and the CAF copies them over at the close of voting

2) Add a link to the Best of Entry page to the permanent gallery location so that one click takes you there.

I miss being able to leave a comment and I know that a the receive of "Best of ..." comments I often wished they were on the permanent piece.

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but the change I'd like to see next is the ability to easily add a comment to the permanent piece. I can see at least two reasonable implementations:

1) Add to the Best of Entry and the CAF copies them over at the close of voting

2) Add a link to the Best of Entry page to the permanent gallery location so that one click takes you there.

I miss being able to leave a comment and I know that a the receive of "Best of ..." comments I often wished they were on the permanent piece.

Any thoughts?

I will relay that to Bill. He has been busy with other CAF related items and he wanted to start to change "Best of" to include all of CAF and encourage more participation. That is why he concentrated on making the process easier. 

I would go for the first option, add comments to Best of and they get copied to the permanent gallery location. Having all the previous comments might influence voters. Two pieces one posted at start of the year and one in december, the earlier post if all is equal would probably have more comments. I would lean towards making Best of more self contained.

6 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I would go for the first option, add comments to Best of and they get copied to the permanent gallery location. Having all the previous comments might influence voters. Two pieces one posted at start of the year and one in december, the earlier post if all is equal would probably have more comments. I would lean towards making Best of more self contained.

I agree.

My humble nominees for Best of 2019:

Published/Unpublished: Covers
Megan Levens - Angel City #3 - cover

angelcity.jpg.a354ce179cd43a1bcca80dbf0c052584.jpg

Megan Levens - Angel City #6 - p10

angelcity6.jpg.7308486d1b450e42e391d64b36e8c35a.jpg

Published: Strip Art
David Wright - Carol Day - strip 1748 (1962)

carolday.jpg.a6adab72f144d3552a1487e328102817.jpg

Natalia Batista - Sword Princess Amaltea (disgruntled)

amaltea.jpg.b63b2124ef82a6461389da780cddf176.jpg

Unpublished: Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches
Jonas Darnell - Herman the heathen passed out in a tankard

herman.jpg.76fa8d14d26051117bfaf548c307b8d7.jpg

Honorable Mention

Fernando Ruiz - Modesty Blaise

modesty.jpg.f4bdd5e2971db8677b3da513af7a58aa.jpg

Natalia Batista - Sword Princess Amaltea #2 - p58

amaltea_in.jpg.2e55740cfa8480bf400ffab818a76f1d.jpg

Megan Levens - Spell On Wheels #1 - p17

spell.jpg.ace2bdc9ab432e7cbfc3f5b925869d2c.jpg

3 minutes ago, Caltex98 said:

Some time I eventually will get around to read it...B|

I'm bummed. They are missing from the Amazon Kindle store. I only bought a couple because they would always be there. :( 

A friendly reminder....

I want to remind everyone Best of 2019 is ONLY for original artwork acquired in 2019. 

Any entry must NOT be actively for sale. Artists are also NOT ALLOWED to enter their own artworks.

I have already come across an artist posting their own artwork for Best of. I have asked him to remove it.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:05 AM, alxjhnsn said:

I'm bummed. They are missing from the Amazon Kindle store. I only bought a couple because they would always be there. :( 

Chris Killackey has a full story up on CAF.  Good way to see the OA and have a read.

For myself, I picked up a couple of strips during the course of last year.  Amazing work and nice to see a British artist making a big impact on your side of the pond.

9 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

A friendly reminder....

I want to remind everyone Best of 2019 is ONLY for original artwork acquired in 2019. 

Any entry must NOT be actively for sale. Artists are also NOT ALLOWED to enter their own artworks.

I have already come across an artist posting their own artwork for Best of. I have asked him to remove it.

Next year maybe there could be 2 additional categories - one for active students to submit one piece and one for active working artists to submit one piece. Up and comers, as it were. 

9 hours ago, The Voord said:

Chris Killackey has a full story up on CAF.  Good way to see the OA and have a read.

For myself, I picked up a couple of strips during the course of last year.  Amazing work and nice to see a British artist making a big impact on your side of the pond.

I hadn't heard of the strip until Roger Clark started selling on eBay. My favorite is this one in Aaron N's gallery.
Carol Day 419 Comic Art

It's just too creepy for words. Aaron has a number of excellent strips in his David Wright gallery.

Edited by alxjhnsn