• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small dents on NM

3 posts in this topic

I am grading a lot of fairly-new comics.  One frequent flaw(?) I find is small (less than dime size) half-moon shaped dents.  They can only be seen under the light, no color break.  Sometimes there are only 1 or 2, sometimes there can be a small group of them in one spot.  Not sure if this is the result of "flipping" the book over or from pressing down on it to get air out of the bag or what.

My questions are:

1. Is this what they mean by "dimpling" - ?

2. Should I basically be counting these and taking each one as -.1 for the grade, so one with less than 6 of these marks would be NM?  Or am I giving them too much weight?

Pictures would help. But I believe you are describing finger bends.  They are about dime size and half moon in shape. It is literally what it says. Someone put their finger on the cover - often times while opening the book - and left a light bend shaped like the edge of a finger.  

Finger bends are defects, CGC notes them in the grading notes of books they grade. As for grading itself, it doesn't actually start at 10 and subtract points for each defect. I've seen 9.4's with one or two finger bends noted. And like all defects it's a matter of degree. Some finger bends are very light. Others deep and even break color. 

Edited by Tony S