• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 251

20 posts in this topic

That is a nice book. 

Corners are shape, back cover is clean and the book overall has nice gloss.  The one concern I have is that apparent horizontal crease about a quarter way down the book.  It looks like the crease is on the back as well, suggesting it goes through the whole book?   I don't know much about pressing so I am not sure if a press would fit that horizontal crease or not. 

There is some evident stress at the staples and some minor spine ticks but I would estimate the grade at 7.0 (fine/very fine) to 7.5 (very fine). 

5 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

Hard to tell from the picture, but is is there a horizontal crease on the front cover that goes across the entire book right through Joker's face?

5 hours ago, DWL said:

That is a nice book. 

Corners are shape, back cover is clean and the book overall has nice gloss.  The one concern I have is that apparent horizontal crease about a quarter way down the book.  It looks like the crease is on the back as well, suggesting it goes through the whole book?   I don't know much about pressing so I am not sure if a press would fit that horizontal crease or not. 

There is some evident stress at the staples and some minor spine ticks but I would estimate the grade at 7.0 (fine/very fine) to 7.5 (very fine). 

Hank you for your responses. Luckily they're just light - no crease :) I've added some more pictures. Also the top left corner isn't a tear it's almost like a printing defect - not pen or anything either.

Thanks for your help

20200105_105812.jpg

20200105_105823.jpg

20200105_105820.jpg

20200105_105817.jpg

20200105_105815.jpg

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sometimes a comic may receive things like "Golden Age Bump", but there will never be such a discrepancy as you've alleged (9.4 vs 7.0).

I might be posting egotistically, but I have several older books that would not grade the same as moderns.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I might be posting egotistically, but I have several older books that would not grade the same as moderns.

That's a poor umption.

Grading is subjective. So, you may see an old SA book graded 9.4 that you think is a 7.0, but I'm guessing that most of us will agree with the "experts".

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's a poor umption.

Grading is subjective. So, you may see an old SA book graded 9.4 that you think is a 7.0, but I'm guessing that most of us will agree with the "experts".

When it comes to opinions on movies or books, I've rarely ever seen a post by you where you have agreed with the experts.

On the other hand. I agree with all my 9.8s from the 70s and 80s.

As I said, the book looks like it could fetch a (lenient) 8.5

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

When it comes to opinions on movies or books, I've rarely ever seen a post by you where you have agreed with the experts.

"Movie critics" are not "experts". They're paid to share opinions. No idea what "expert opinion" on books you're referring to.

I've even openly admitted that the movie critics opinions on comic book movies are almost always wrong. They're criticizing based on empty slates - rather than considering source material. So their opinion is almost entirely moot.

On 1/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, FoggyNelson said:

7.5 give or take a grade🤔🤔

I bought I hoping for a 6/6.5 plus so that would be great! Would have a clean and press first! 

16 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I would not be surprised at all with 8.0-8.5. Very minor things take it outta the 9.0+ zone for me but it is a sharp looking book either way.

I'd be crazy happy with an 8!

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

7.0 IMO.

Tbf as I said I'd bought it with enough wiggle room for it to be a 6.5

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That is a sweet book...

TBH I've noticed differing grade scales for different eras of book, for instance a book from 1968 that grades 9.4-9.8 wouldnt grade a 7.0 if it was modern.

That being said

Let's hope so! 

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Again would be super happy with that

2 hours ago, comics4all said:

One of my favorite Batman stories! 

Same here. One of my favourite and iconic covers with a kick story

Thank you everyone for your opinions, all greatly appreciated :)