• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Brave and Bold #28

12 posts in this topic

Hi, 

My family and I are trying to go through my father's old comic book collection. I found this comic and was offered $1000 for it. I think it's worth more and in better shape than that price. Please take a look and let me know what grade you think it is.  

Thank you in advance. 20200104_144634.thumb.jpg.9e1c8597d0d7edc7b4bda0bdb1451d14.jpg20200104_144650.thumb.jpg.03f73dd566ee36c385e4ab3ae5fa59e7.jpg

20200104_144612.jpg20200104_144738.thumb.jpg.608e9c032bcbe0f08634bbece7550c83.jpg

Edited by Tseven8

What is that on the top left corner of the back cover, piece missing, sun shadow???

Other than that I see edge wear on the top and bottom edges, especially the bottom edge of the back cover, minor creasing near the edges, corner damage on the left bottom by spine and spine creases/ticks (at least 15) with color break and rusted staples.

If the upper left corner of the back cover is sun shadow the grade IMO is a VG/FN 5.0.

If the upper left corner is missing a piece the grade will drop, since it is on the rear cover...VG 4.0???

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Back to Top
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples. Inks have moderate to low reflectivity. Blunted corners are increasingly common, as is minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed. A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown with no signs of brittleness. Centerfold may be loose. Minor interior tears may also be present.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:08 PM, Tseven8 said:

Hi, 

My family and I are trying to go through my father's old comic book collection. I found this comic and was offered $1000 for it. I think it's worth more and in better shape than that price. Please take a look and let me know what grade you think it is.  

Thank you in advance. 20200104_144634.thumb.jpg.9e1c8597d0d7edc7b4bda0bdb1451d14.jpg20200104_144650.thumb.jpg.03f73dd566ee36c385e4ab3ae5fa59e7.jpg

This is an example of what board members would refer to as a "well-presenting book." The front cover looks live a 6.0 - 7.0 to me, but the back cover will drag down the grade. Since most of the damage is on the back, it will present much higher than its assigned grade.

Joe

6 minutes ago, Tseven8 said:

It's this something that would benefit going through restoration? 

It depends on your intentions.

Financial value of a restored "super key" like this plummets with restoration.

If you don't care about $$$$$ and want the best-looking comic possible... Well, I would sell it and "upgrade" before paying for professional restoration.

1 hour ago, Tseven8 said:

Thank you both for that recommendation. Should we get it pressed or anything else? 

Yes, pressing will help with that fold at the top and could make it worth more. Do not get it restored. Right now you are looking at around a $3000-$4000 book (around the 5.0 grade). Getting it pressed and graded would help get you the most for it.