• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is ComicTom a board member?

16 posts in this topic

There was a closed thread about why it’s tougher to get people on the boards and I’m wondering if even ComicTom is here.  I enjoy his UTube videos and I can see his voice quickly becoming part of the comic collecting and especially comic selling in the future.  But if the younger comic buyers are flocking to UTube videos for their info then it may explain why the board membership is down.

You would be surprise how many accounts are on here that don't post. 

Some just buy stuff and never post here at all.

Instragram, YouTube and FB have the followings especially FB/IG.
A lot of times we get referrels here from those sites. Or they come 
here to sell and then stay so on and so on.

8 hours ago, speedcake said:

I watch his vids once in a while, but it seems like his content is often very geared toward feeding into the FOMO side of modern collecting.  The content can be decently informative though, at least.

I like the way they use actual sales data in their videos (ie sales up 1000% or high sales of $150).  I just watched their ways to increase sales video and all of their suggestions involved running auctions or lowing your cost to be more competitive - I don't need advice on how to make less money.

You like what you like and if you take something positive from his content then OK, but he seems inauthentic and a misinformation pumper. He’s getting a seemingly well deserved bad rep with many collectors on IG. He’s got a big YT account that’s why people find him so easily and some don’t know better. Seems like a D*** to me. 2c

On 1/5/2020 at 2:09 PM, 1Cool said:

There was a closed thread about why it’s tougher to get people on the boards and I’m wondering if even ComicTom is here.  I enjoy his UTube videos and I can see his voice quickly becoming part of the comic collecting and especially comic selling in the future.  But if the younger comic buyers are flocking to UTube videos for their info then it may explain why the board membership is down.

I can tell you watch him. You spell YouTube "UTube".

5 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

You like what you like and if you take something positive from his content then OK, but he seems inauthentic and a misinformation pumper. He’s getting a seemingly well deserved bad rep with many collectors on IG. He’s got a big YT account that’s why people find him so easily and some don’t know better. Seems like a D*** to me. 2c

I gotta agree with you.  I also feel like the movie culture sparked his interest.  He seems incredibly unauthentic to me 

Watching his latest video and it’s pretty entertaining. I don’t find him inauthentic, and I could do without the key collector app shilling (yes I’m aware they sponsor the show). I think it’s the very narrow focus on how much everything is worth, every discussion revolves around value, that gets to me. 

they showcase stuff I’m not familiar with, and it’s often cool and they do get excited about the stuff for reasons other than market value , but then it’s right back to talking about what stuff is “worth”

I watch his vids and find that GA guru has done his part in trying to make GA visible to the YouTube generations.   IG is wild Wild West still compared to the calming effects the cgc boards has on collecting.   It’s one more spot to try to understand the modern and variant mania that I care nothing about but at least I can try...

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:09 AM, 1Cool said:

Board membership being down in this thriving hobby environment can only point to one extremely logical conclusion and viable solution.

And with all due respect to Greggy, Cal, and Kav, who are long standing and well established forum institutions, we desperately need an ever-present forum mascot! Someone or something that even non-hobbyists can connect with and become sufficiently enticed by to join with and contribute to our hobby and community! :banana:

I 've watched a few of his videos whenever the subject catches my eye.  Last week, I was watching one of his newer videos and he mentioned using the CGC boards to try to find info on something.  I can't remember what video, but he searches the forums it sounds like even if he doesn't post.

1 hour ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

I 've watched a few of his videos whenever the subject catches my eye.  Last week, I was watching one of his newer videos and he mentioned using the CGC boards to try to find info on something.  I can't remember what video, but he searches the forums it sounds like even if he doesn't post.

I was going to mention this too as I just watched that episode last night. It was posted Jan 7th I believe, and is about an hour long. He mentioned it being their first episode of the year. I've found his videos informative, even if a bit commercial bring geared toward the key collector app. But that is fine with me. So he does view the boards, but unless he chimes in we don't really know his handle here.