• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which states charge you tax on eBay?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Thought this would be an interesting thread, In 2019 I had a few sellers that were automatically required to charge me tax.  I haven't been able to find the trend yet.  I've also noticed as a seller I can sometimes remove the tax from the buyer's order.  I don't know what that is about either.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, unless it is specific to certain states working with certain states.
In the past 120 days I was charged tax from: New Hampshire.
I was not charged tax from: Georgia, Indiana, New York, Michigan (go figure). Connecticut.  
The New Hampshire tax was on a 2020 item, the no-charges were 2019.

For those of you buying very frequently, what trends are you noticing?

Edited by 90sChild

None of that makes sense....

Texas charges internet state sales tax on the internet...

I'm charged the Texas rate because I live in TEXAS....

That's the end of story...

If your state doesn't charge sales internet tax yet, then you shouldn't be charged it at any purchase...

If you are, your only to be charged the state you live in! The buyer pays the state tax they're in if their state demands it :foryou: 

@90sChild

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Everything I have bought on ebay in the past few months no matter where it came from, was taxed.

That's because your state has started charging it, maybe I'm miss understanding 90schild, but you shouldn't be charged "different rates each time......

Texas is 8.25% so I get charged that each time :foryou: 

When I've sold, the buyer each time was charged different rates, because each time the "buyer was located in a different" state.....

SO I'm not sure if 90schild is talking about on his end both buyer AND seller charges at different rates...

Hopefully I made it plain :) :headbang: :foryou: 

As of Jan 1st, ebay will collect sales taxes on all sales to Michigan. prior to that it was up to the seller. 

Currently ebay collects sales tax for 37 states + DC, and will start collecting for NC in February. 

5 states do not have a sales tax, but I expect the remaining 45 will all have taxes collected by ebay and other large venues by the end of the year. The days of dodging sales tax by buying on the net are disappearing.

Edited by rjpb

Thanks to a SCOTUS case decided in 2018, states can now compel online sellers to collect sales tax, even if they don't have a presence in the state. States generally have an exemption for sellers who do less than $100,000 worth of business in their state, so if you have a small concern, you wont be liable, although you might be within your own state. However if you sell through ebay or amazon, they are considered the selling venue, and are responsible for collecting sales tax. 

If you sell routinely, I would suggest looking into getting a resale certificate from your state, though that will require you to collect sales tax from in state sales for sure.  

Edited by rjpb

16 minutes ago, rjpb said:

If you sell routinely, I would suggest looking into getting a resale certificate from your state, though that will require you to collect sales tax from in state sales for sure.  

Would this help in making a purchase by me?

I don't mind charging sales tax on things I'm selling, enough states have low enough, except for a few.

But my state being among the few, being charged 8.25% each time is taxing

Pun intended 

30 minutes ago, rjpb said:

As of Jan 1st, ebay will collect sales taxes on all sales to Michigan. prior to that it was up to the seller. 

Currently ebay collects sales tax for 37 states + DC, and will start collecting for NC in February. 

5 states do not have a sales tax, but I expect the remaining 45 will all have taxes collected by ebay and other large venues by the end of the year. The days of dodging sales tax by buying on the net are disappearing.

This would explain the change for 2020.  Looks like every single thing I buy now is going to go this way.  :eyeroll:

37 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

This would explain the change for 2020.  Looks like every single thing I buy now is going to go this way.  :eyeroll:

Thanks for the clarification! 

I didn't understand how you were charged a "New Hampshire" sales tax, and/or others, I'd avoid those sellers (maybe?) as they had no right to charge you..... only Michigan. 

Unless they were buyers, lol I got confused :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I don't pay internet sales tax unless the place I buy from has a physical presence in FL. I believe the only other state with no internet tax is Missouri. 

Unless the governor here is convinced otherwise there won't be any internet *fleecing* going on in the sunshine state 

Adamantium is right, Ebay charges the sales tax automatically when applicable without the seller even knowing about it. 

Edited by MGsimba77

A seller must have an "economic nexus" in the buyer's state for sales tax to be required. Each state defines economic nexus as they see fit. eBay is forcing sellers to charge that tax regardless of whether or not the seller meets the definition of economic nexus. At the same time, eBay is costing the seller money. eBay charges the tax and Paypal takes its fee out of the total, including the tax. The seller then remits the gross amount of the sales tax to eBay. It amounts to just pennies per transaction, but it rubs me the wrong way. Legally, I am not required to pay state tax in any state other than the one in which I reside because my sales are under each threshold. The amount is not material to me, but eBay is taking money out of every seller's pocket. If they are the seller of record, let them take the risk of returns, damages, inventory risk, etc. Otherwise, don't collect the tax. Or, if they do, don't stick the seller with the nuisance Paypal fees.

The economic nexus test for Alabama (first on the alphabetical list), is $250,000 per year. Anything under that and seller does not have an economic nexus. States that have a threshold range from 200 transactions to as much as $500,000 and a number of transactions threshold (MA). 

In the $6,000 purchase referenced above, eBay would have stuck the seller with $12 in Paypal fees for the tax on that transaction (in Ohio, anyway).

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I don't pay internet sales tax unless the place I buy from has a physical presence in FL. I believe the only other state with no internet tax is Missouri. 

Unless the governor here is convinced otherwise there won't be any internet *fleecing* going on in the sunshine state 

Adamantium is right, Ebay charges the sales tax automatically when applicable without the seller even knowing about it. 

Five US States don't have sales tax, Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.  If your shipping address is to any of those, you won't be charged.

Funny enough, the book I bought this year came from new hampshire so it looks like ebay is collecting the money and sending it right to Michigan, the seller's location had absolutely nothing to do with it.
Yeah you read that right, Michigan is charging me sales tax for a purchase made in a state with no sales tax.  :idea:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/112415/5-states-without-sales-tax.asp

Edited by 90sChild

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Five US States don't have sales tax, Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.  If your shipping address is to any of those, you won't be charged.

Funny enough, the book I bought this year came from new hampshire so it looks like ebay is collecting the money and sending it right to Michigan, the seller's location had absolutely nothing to do with it.
Yeah you read that right, Michigan is charging me sales tax for a purchase made in a state with no sales tax.  :idea:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/112415/5-states-without-sales-tax.asp

Yes but out of the 45 that do collect sales tax FL and Missouri are the 2 that don't require automatic collection of online sales tax. I think Missouri is close to requiring it though. 

I just think its funny when advocates of this obvious fleecing twist themselves into pretzels in their attempts to deny it's a tax increase. Can they at least stop insulting people's intelligence?!?! I mean if it's not a tax increase then what would they call it? A "contribution expansion"?

Any "anti tax" politician supporting this is like an animal welfare advocate sponsoring a dog fighting ring! Whatever...these flimflam politicians can all go bleep themselves!!!

4 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Because it was shipped to Michigan, where it comes from doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, rjpb said:

Lol I tried @90sChild to say that in the beginning, your going to pay Michigan sales tax on every purchase because you live in Michigan..... sales tax is where the "buyer lives!"

Now if you sell something and someone from new Hampshire buys it they won't be charged sales tax, because you say that new Hampshire doesn't have sales tax....

Again buyer pays sales tax if there state enforces it :foryou:

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
4 hours ago, rjpb said:

Lol I tried @90sChild to say that in the beginning, your going to pay Michigan sales tax on every purchase because you live in Michigan..... sales tax is where the "buyer lives!"

Now if you sell something and someone from new Hampshire buys it they won't be charged sales tax, because you say that new Hampshire doesn't have sales tax....

Again buyer pays sales tax if there state enforces it :foryou:

the New Hampshire guy wasn't "charged sales tax" because he lives and bought from New Hampshire that doesn't charge the sales tax to buyers. Buyers in Michigan will be charged and have to pay the sales tax because Michigan has sales tax, Michigan sellers won't have to charge New Hampshire buyers the sales tax because New Hampshire as a state doesn't have its buyers pay a "state sales tax" on any of their purchases...... so New Hampshire can by from anywhere in America and not be charged the sales tax, Michigan will have to pay Michigan sales tax even on purchases from non sales tax states...... because Michigan buyers in Michigan as a state have sales tax they pay everywhere and not just on the internet.....

It's simple but rigorous, it's important,

lol it sounds more complicated than it is lol I'll be quiet now :shy: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM