• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where Can I Buy Comics For the Prices Listed On GPA?
3 3

27 posts in this topic

I look at the GPA website almost daily. What I would like to know is where I can books listed for the sale prices listed on GPA? Some of the prices listed are much less than I can find anywhere online.

For example, I'm looking for a copy of Avengers #8 CGC 6.0. The last sale of this book was in October, 2019, and the price was $449. I also averaged the 15 sales during 2019, and the average was $458.

Here are the prices I found online: My Comic Shop - $1299.99, eBay - $1470, eBay - $855, My Comic Shop - $750, eBay - $740, and My Comic Shop - $649.

I'm also looking for a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #13 CGC 4.5. The last sale of this book was in December, 2019, and the price was $650. I also averaged the 22 sales during 2019, and the average was $850. However, as you can imagine, the price has dropped quite a bit since the middle of the year.

Here are the prices I found online: eBay - $950, Reece's Rare Comics - $825, eBay - $910, My Comic Shop - $799.99, eBay - $1500, eBay - $1250.

I understand that there are often ludicrous prices listed on eBay. And I have been able to work with dealers to get a book for a lesser amount than listed. But if the last sale of Avengers #8 CGC 6.0 was $449, and the lowest online price is $649, where was this book sold for at $449? If the last sale of Amazing Spider-Man #13 CGC 4.5 was $650, and the lowest online price was $799.99, how does this happen?

I check many sites weekly (eBay, My Comic Shop, ComicLink, Comic Connect, Heritage, along with some dealers I have worked with before, such as Reece's Rare Comics and SuperWorld). I just would like someone to hazard a guess as to why there is such a discrepancy between the last sale listed on GPA and current online prices.

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

Make offers and cross your fingers

good luck

Obviously you're quoting "for sale" prices which doesn't really reflex GPA.... wishful thinking on seller's part in some cases or hoping to recover commissions in others.  Have you checked history of sold items on these sites? As mentioned above, making fair offers and having patience is the way to go.... just need more patience than the seller. Good luck...

4 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I just would like someone to hazard a guess as to why there is such a discrepancy between the last sale listed on GPA and current online prices.

Collectors are both simultaneously trying to best the last sale in GPAnalysis when buying and selling. Sellers try and push the market ever forward and buyers try and get a deal.

Arm yourself with the knowledge you have, a fistful of cash and hit a nice local / regional show. I'll wager you can beat GPA with a cash offer to the right seller every time. (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I look at the GPA website almost daily. What I would like to know is where I can books listed for the sale prices listed on GPA? Some of the prices listed are much less than I can find anywhere online.

For example, I'm looking for a copy of Avengers #8 CGC 6.0. The last sale of this book was in October, 2019, and the price was $449. I also averaged the 15 sales during 2019, and the average was $458.

Here are the prices I found online: My Comic Shop - $1299.99, eBay - $1470, eBay - $855, My Comic Shop - $750, eBay - $740, and My Comic Shop - $649.

I'm also looking for a copy of Amazing Spider-Man CGC 4.5. The last sale of this book was in December, 2019, and the price was $650. I also averaged the 22 sales during 2019, and the average was $850. However, as you can imagine, the price has dropped quite a bit since the middle of the year.

Here are the prices I found online: eBay - $950, Reece's Rare Comics - $825, eBay - $910, My Comic Shop - $799.99, eBay - $1500, eBay - $1250.

I understand that there are often ludicrous prices listed on eBay. And I have been able to work with dealers to get a book for a lesser amount than listed. But if the last sale of Avengers #8 CGC 6.0 was $449, and the lowest online price is $649, where was this book sold for at $449? If the last sale of Amazing Spider-Man #13 CGC 4.5 was $650, and the lowest online price was $799.99, how does this happen?

I check many sites weekly (eBay, My Comic Shop, ComicLink, Comic Connect, Heritage, along with some dealers I have worked with before, such as Reece's Rare Comics and SuperWorld). I just would like someone to hazard a guess as to why there is such a discrepancy between the last sale listed on GPA and current online prices.

Joe

Hey Joe.  

Seems everyone is a flipper and buying up good books and putting them up for sale at inflated prices.  It's pushed up prices and will continue until the market starts going down.

Ebay is full of guys asking double GPA or more not so much expecting a sale at list but hoping to push an offer well above GPA.  Mycomicshop takes consignments and they're willing to accept any decent book at any ask so they have tons of crazy priced consignment books.

Watch the Heritage weekly auctions, bid on comiclink's auctions as a lot of stuff does sell for about GPA, contact high quality dealers, local shows, beat the bushes.  Just know what the books you want are worth and stick to your prices, more or less.  If I see a book I want I'm not gonna blink at 5% or 10% over GPA.  And realize that GPA tells you what something sold for in the past or recent past and some books are increasing in value 

The reason there is a gap in GPA results and the prices you see for available books for sale is because you chasing a couple movie books with some social media heat and all the available "inventory" priced at "market value" have been scooped up by people waiting for someone dumb or impatient enough to pull the trigger on an overpriced one so that the next guy who is checking GPA daily sees that an ASM 13 actually sold for the price that currently seems absurd and then complains about it in his thread that they're only available for $200 more than the last time it sold.

:preach:

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sold = "not available anymore". A comic book is worth what someone is willing to pay for it - not for how much it has already been sold.

OK. I don't think it's out of line to use previous sales to help you determine what would be an acceptable price to pay. If the last sale for a book was $400 and a seller is asking $800 for the same book (grade and issue), I can safely say that the $800 asking price is way too high.

Joe

1 minute ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

OK. I don't think it's out of line to use previous sales to help you determine what would be an acceptable price to pay. If the last sale for a book was $400 and a seller is asking $800 for the same book (grade and issue), I can safely say that the $800 asking price is way too high.

Joe

I'm not saying that they're "not helpful", but they're of the past. "Too high" for you may be the current market value, if people are willing to pay twice the price, though. That's all.

You can't expect comic prices to stagnate. Sometimes they'll double with supply and demand.

5 hours ago, bababooey said:

The reason there is a gap in GPA results and the prices you see for available books for sale is because you chasing a couple movie books with some social media heat and all the available "inventory" priced at "market value" have been scooped up by people waiting for someone dumb or impatient enough to pull the trigger on an overpriced one so that the next guy who is checking GPA daily sees that an ASM 13 actually sold for the price that currently seems absurd and then complains about it in his thread that they're only available for $200 more than the last time it sold.

I understand your reasoning. However, ASM #13 has been on a downhill slide since last fall, so I'm not sure I continue to classify it as a "movie book." And I'm not looking for Avengers #8 so I can flip it if and when Kang is used in the MCU; I actually want the book in my collection because I am working on an Avengers #1 - #16 run.

Joe

3 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:
8 hours ago, bababooey said:

I understand your reasoning. However, ASM #13 has been on a downhill slide since last fall, so I'm not sure I continue to classify it as a "movie book." And I'm not looking for Avengers #8 so I can flip it if and when Kang is used in the MCU; I actually want the book in my collection because I am working on an Avengers #1 - #16 run.

Joe

I think to be more effective, you're going to have to view things more objectively.  Your feelings and priorities might impact you're willing to pay, but rightfully have no impact on how much the seller is willing to sell for.  Focus on why they should sell to you for a given price. 

Make your most reasonable and polite case, offer cash in hand if possible, and hope for the best.  Building relationships and reputation have value, relentless research has value, and dumb luck also has value.  If you think your prices are pretty fair, make a post in the WTB section of the boards.  Deals get made there all the time. 

5 hours ago, revat said:

I think to be more effective, you're going to have to view things more objectively.  Your feelings and priorities might impact you're willing to pay, but rightfully have no impact on how much the seller is willing to sell for.  Focus on why they should sell to you for a given price. 

Make your most reasonable and polite case, offer cash in hand if possible, and hope for the best.  Building relationships and reputation have value, relentless research has value, and dumb luck also has value.  If you think your prices are pretty fair, make a post in the WTB section of the boards.  Deals get made there all the time. 

I understand. However, if I was a seller, I would have to decide what is important - selling the book in a timely manner, or waiting 6 months (or more) trying to get a ridiculous asking price. If you look at the example from above, nobody is their right mind is going to pay $1300 or $1470 for Avengers #6 CGC 6.0, just as no one in their right mind would pay $1500 for Amazing Spider-Man #13 CGC 4.5. Keep in mind, I have only sold two books (ASM #2 and ASM #13) and traded for another (IH #181). So, in statistical terms, my experience is a SMALL sample size.

I also understand negotiating. Unless I can get a book for a steal, I never start by offering the asking price. I usually start by offering 85% of the asking price and proceed from there.

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

5 hours ago, revat said:

Well, I took your advice to heart. I saw an Avengers #8 CGC 7.0 posted on Instagram, with an asking price of $900. I mentioned the recent sale prices at GPA. I offered what I thought to be a fair price, and we agreed on that price, free shipping included. So, I got a nicer book (CGC 7.0 compared to CGC 6.0) for a lesser price that all the prices I mentioned above, and both the seller and I were happy.

I understand your advice, everyone - I really do. It's just discouraging when you're trying to find a book at a reasonable price, and all that you can find are at least 1.5x GPA.

I'll just put this win in my pocket and call it a good day!

Joe

As a seller of other "collectibles", I will always wait to sell at the right price rather than selling quickly.

That is mostly how the market works. Just because you won't pay the "ridiculous" price does not mean that someone else won't.

I once listed an item for $1k OBO. I got roasted in messages and on sites in "listings posted by people on crack". Told it wouldn't sell for more than $300. Guess what? A few days later someone sends me an offer for $700. They even sent a grateful message after delivery.

What you perceive as "ridiculous" means nothing to anyone else. Just FYI.

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I once listed an item for $1k OBO. I got roasted in messages and on sites in "listings posted by people on crack". Told it wouldn't sell for more than $300. Guess what? A few days later someone sends me an offer for $700. They even sent a grateful message after delivery.

Based on your post, your asking price was $1000. However, you accepted a bid of $700, meaning you gave a discount of $300, or 30%. If I found a comic that I wanted that was offered for $1000 and I found that I could get it at $700, I would probably jump at the chance. Especially if the $700 was near the GPA price.

Also, if you read my previous post, I found a copy of Avengers #8 CGC 7.0 on Instagram. I negotiated with the dealer, and he and I came to a mutually beneficial price. Did I get 30% off, like your buyer did? Not quite, but the price I paid was within $100 of GPA recent sales. Also, as I mentioned in my most recent post, the amount I paid for a CGC 7.0 was considerably less than the asking prices for a CGC 6.0.

I assume that you also buy "collectibles". If you looked at whatever site you use to determine to determine FMV, and you found the FMV to be around $500, would you honestly pay $1250 for said "collectible"?

If you read my posts, not once did I demand sellers sell books to me at GPA prices. I just asked where I could go to find prices similar to those found on GPA (or GoCollect), because I haven't had any luck in that regard.

Keep in mind, your opinion isn't any more valid than mine. I've expressed my feelings, and you continue to lecture me as if I'm a child. I've spoken to local and online friends, and they have expressed the same outlook. I'm sure you can line up multiple friends to go along with your stance. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Joe

for me I found if you want to get near GPA prices buying locally where you can talk to someone and show them FMV or sometimes the Best offer option on eBay but some sellers don't respond or get annoyed when you quote GPA etc. (a whole another topic) but I've had success here on the boards as most boardie's are great with their prices sometimes you can snatch it for less than FMV but you have to be quick as there are a lot of fellow members willing to snatch up those deals as well. 

Personally I've had a lot of luck buying from people I meet here or finding locally through other selling sites where we can meet up locally I get to check out the book (internet pics aren't always the best) and do a cash deal... 

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

for me I found if you want to get near GPA prices buying locally where you can talk to someone and show them FMV or sometimes the Best offer option on eBay but some sellers don't respond or get annoyed when you quote GPA etc. (a whole another topic) but I've had success here on the boards as most boardie's are great with their prices sometimes you can snatch it for less than FMV but you have to be quick as there are a lot of fellow members willing to snatch up those deals as well. 

Personally I've had a lot of luck buying from people I meet here or finding locally through other selling sites where we can meet up locally I get to check out the book (internet pics aren't always the best) and do a cash deal... 

Right on!!!

Before I sold my AF 15 throught Bob Storms, I sold several ASM 129's in 8.5 and 9.4 grades, both books I bought on the newstands for .40 cents. . I took $950 for the lower one and $1100 for the 9.4. I was told I sold way too low but it was a straight retail sale, cash. I was a happy camper and certainly would not have done better with a dealer.  Sometimes you have to find your happy price. Being in a hurry is not usually a key to success doing this. 

Edited by Glassman10