• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where Can I Buy Comics For the Prices Listed On GPA?
3 3

27 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2020 at 5:58 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I look at the GPA website almost daily. What I would like to know is where I can books listed for the sale prices listed on GPA? Some of the prices listed are much less than I can find anywhere online.

For example, I'm looking for a copy of Avengers #8 CGC 6.0. The last sale of this book was in October, 2019, and the price was $449. I also averaged the 15 sales during 2019, and the average was $458.

Here are the prices I found online: My Comic Shop - $1299.99, eBay - $1470, eBay - $855, My Comic Shop - $750, eBay - $740, and My Comic Shop - $649.

I'm also looking for a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #13 CGC 4.5. The last sale of this book was in December, 2019, and the price was $650. I also averaged the 22 sales during 2019, and the average was $850. However, as you can imagine, the price has dropped quite a bit since the middle of the year.

Here are the prices I found online: eBay - $950, Reece's Rare Comics - $825, eBay - $910, My Comic Shop - $799.99, eBay - $1500, eBay - $1250.

I understand that there are often ludicrous prices listed on eBay. And I have been able to work with dealers to get a book for a lesser amount than listed. But if the last sale of Avengers #8 CGC 6.0 was $449, and the lowest online price is $649, where was this book sold for at $449? If the last sale of Amazing Spider-Man #13 CGC 4.5 was $650, and the lowest online price was $799.99, how does this happen?

I check many sites weekly (eBay, My Comic Shop, ComicLink, Comic Connect, Heritage, along with some dealers I have worked with before, such as Reece's Rare Comics and SuperWorld). I just would like someone to hazard a guess as to why there is such a discrepancy between the last sale listed on GPA and current online prices.

Joe

The ironic opposite of this is many times when I list slabbed comics here on the boards, I try to list my comics under the GPA averages.  And I get skunked in my sales a lot.

14 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Based on your post, your asking price was $1000. However, you accepted a bid of $700, meaning you gave a discount of $300, or 30%. If I found a comic that I wanted that was offered for $1000 and I found that I could get it at $700, I would probably jump at the chance. Especially if the $700 was near the GPA price.

Also, if you read my previous post, I found a copy of Avengers #8 CGC 7.0 on Instagram. I negotiated with the dealer, and he and I came to a mutually beneficial price. Did I get 30% off, like your buyer did? Not quite, but the price I paid was within $100 of GPA recent sales. Also, as I mentioned in my most recent post, the amount I paid for a CGC 7.0 was considerably less than the asking prices for a CGC 6.0.

I assume that you also buy "collectibles". If you looked at whatever site you use to determine to determine FMV, and you found the FMV to be around $500, would you honestly pay $1250 for said "collectible"?

If you read my posts, not once did I demand sellers sell books to me at GPA prices. I just asked where I could go to find prices similar to those found on GPA (or GoCollect), because I haven't had any luck in that regard.

Keep in mind, your opinion isn't any more valid than mine. I've expressed my feelings, and you continue to lecture me as if I'm a child. I've spoken to local and online friends, and they have expressed the same outlook. I'm sure you can line up multiple friends to go along with your stance. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Joe

My asking price was intentionally higher than what I expected to sell for - because it's eBay. I expected it to sell for twice what the naysayers were claiming it was worth ($300).

The "GPA" of that deck was $300. I sold it for $700. That is the point. You missed it.

Only speaking for our situation here, but that particular book spiked last summer around June based on some rumors Kang was going to be in the MCU. You can see several sales in that grade around that time in the $650-$750 range. Coincidentally this happened to be when we got a few of those copies back, so at the time our price seemed fair for a hot book that was selling for higher prices than GPA in all grades. As the market is ultimately efficient, books people think are undervalued get bought up, and books that people perceive as priced too high get left behind. Now, 7 months later that price isn't indicative of the rest of the market, but we simply don't have time to go back and reprice all of our books. As always, am open to offers and emails.

-Austin 

Edited by AustinReece_GRRC

GPA sales quotes can be very unreliable. For instance, I have bought comics on eBay by steeply discounted “best offer”, and GPA picks them up as a sale at the full price. Just have no particular faith in GPA’s ability to collect good data.

2 hours ago, ZackL said:

GPA sales quotes can be very unreliable. For instance, I have bought comics on eBay by steeply discounted “best offer”, and GPA picks them up as a sale at the full price. Just have no particular faith in GPA’s ability to collect good data.

You can use it loosely as a guide to get in the ballpark, but mileage may and should vary

On 1/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

OK. I don't think it's out of line to use previous sales to help you determine what would be an acceptable price to pay. If the last sale for a book was $400 and a seller is asking $800 for the same book (grade and issue), I can safely say that the $800 asking price is way too high.

Joe

There's nothing you can do with some sellers. Either they'll get serious about selling and lower their price or somebody will pay what they're asking. Some sellers do little research about the going rate and charge what they FEEL the comic must be worth.

On 2/2/2020 at 7:31 AM, eastcoaster said:

There's nothing you can do with some sellers. Either they'll get serious about selling and lower their price or somebody will pay what they're asking. Some sellers do little research about the going rate and charge what they FEEL the comic must be worth.

Or they have over paid for it in the 1st place. While there are lots of brick and mortar shops or serious collectors selling on ebay, there are also loads of people just trying to "speculate and invest" and often they buy too high and have no option but to wait and see if they can make some money on it. Some of the pricing on Modern variants are mad. Some poor soul thought the 10th dell otto virgin variant of the month was going to be big and paid too much for it now its still sitting there 6 months later at the same high price.

Such is life.