• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1998 Reunion with the Original Art Market
2 2

99 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2020 at 12:27 AM, Nexus said:

Funny, a friend just sent me this pic a couple of days ago and it made me think of this thread.

He printed out results for all the eBay auctions he followed from 1998-2002 and filed them away. He's got several other boxes just like this.

I'll see if he'll share more here.

image1.jpeg

Would love to hear if he kept records of Michael Golden, Pat Broderick, or Butch Guice.  I might even pay a fee for copies.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:19 PM, glendgold said:

In fact -- here's a $395 Gene Colan piece which I had Steve Leialoha ink. You might note that Gene, as required by some internal law I would never question, gave Doom one leg. And the raven over Doom's shoulder?  One leg.

colan doom.jpg

colan inked doom.jpg

Doom does not require two legs, bipedalism is a crutch for beings lesser than Doom!

doomcripple.jpg

Edited by NewCollector101

19 hours ago, NewCollector101 said:

Doom does not require two legs, bipedalism is a crutch for beings lesser than Doom!

doomcripple.jpg

Doom with a heart of gold. How far would a gold farthing go in those days?

Yeesh!!!!!

13 hours ago, Twanj said:

Kinda surprising the Ron Garney is $450, seems high.

That was at a time when Garney was popular. In fact I bought a couple of double page spreads by Garney for that price at that time. Think about the prices that Jim Lee demands today. I am not comparing the artists, just that contemporary art by popular comic book artists will be priced higher. I do not think their prices goes down with age as much as not following the same price climb that other art generally follow.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:50 PM, grapeape said:

It occurred to me that might be your page after I posted it. I remember you used to have one from # 37. Bittersweet I’m sure but you’ll just have to try and suck it up with your ASM splash page.

(thumbsu

i owned the entire asm 37 book in 1993..i sold that page for 500-600 i think, in 1993, with 18 other pages to ASM 37  in a CBG ad in 1993...LOL

On 1/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, grapeape said:

7777B370-E584-44A9-952A-FC71225B926F.jpeg

As I remember the story back around when it happened, the art was stacked on pallets and you bought it by the stack. Just piles of stuff you bought as lots. Least that’s how it was described back years ago.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

As I remember the story back around when it happened, the art was stacked on pallets and you bought it by the stack. Just piles of stuff you bought as lots. Least that’s how it was described back years ago.

WOW 

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

That’s incorrect.

All the art was auctioned all as one lot.