• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1998 Reunion with the Original Art Market
2 2

99 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2020 at 7:57 PM, vodou said:
On 1/28/2020 at 6:59 PM, zhamlau said:

was the art stacked up on wooden pallets?

more interesting: what did that "single lot" sell for?

Ahh, the story for years was that it was ALL on pallets, comics and art. You bought lots of it some art some comics. I guess the truth was yeah you got it like that but it wasnt multiple lots it was ONE giant lot...good buy for someone.

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Ahh, the story for years was that it was ALL on pallets, comics and art. You bought lots of it some art some comics. I guess the truth was yeah you got it like that but it wasnt multiple lots it was ONE giant lot...good buy for someone.

The comics were all in a dark room with a single lightbulb in that warehouse.

The art was in a separate office. You weren’t allowed to go through the art before the auction.

Comic and art were auctioned separately as 2 lots.

4 hours ago, artdealer said:

The comics were all in a dark room with a single lightbulb in that warehouse.

The art was in a separate office. You weren’t allowed to go through the art before the auction.

Comic and art were auctioned separately as 2 lots.

Both Frazetta and Neal Adams understood the value of their art back then and it was my understanding that they demanded/expected to have their art returned upon publication?  I don't want to be adding to myths and half truths.  But if correct, the Warren auction would not have included art from these two artists, yes?

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Both Frazetta and Neal Adams understood the value of their art back then and it was my understanding that they demanded/expected to have their art returned upon publication?  I don't want to be adding to myths and half truths.  But if correct, the Warren auction would not have included art from these two artists, yes?

I'm not 100% but I think the early split of Frazetta from Warren was that "returns" per Jim Warren were non-negotiable. Or was that EC/Gaines...I just forget sometimes :)

Wrightson later tried too and, iirc, was absolutely rebuffed by Jim Warren.

Sotheby’s includes original art pages with prices along with some of the Kirby recreations. It is widely assumed that Kirby had assistants work on the recreations.

This is for history and record keeping. Not looking to rehash Kirby + assistants. Just enjoy a bit of our history.

18DA21B1-5612-418F-8AAD-E73030E7D7F0.thumb.jpeg.41ac18841593fc3cab76d9c700e528ed.jpegB5E680CA-5F2B-43BA-81F1-38EC572858BA.thumb.jpeg.87a8792dd94e93a5253e5ca773f9ff6b.jpeg

On 1/24/2020 at 6:34 PM, artdealer said:

The things I have seen!

ill write that book after I die. 😜

You really should write a book...seriously.  You're a HUGE part of the history of this hobby/business.  I'd bet you'd have NO trouble filling three hundred pages.  

I'm sure though that more than a few named within the covers would be screaming libel and defamation...  lol

On 1/7/2020 at 1:18 PM, grapeape said:

To your point, here’s a few more. What’s interesting is the art for sale with many dealers didn’t have pics. A serious buyer might get a photocopy or even a picture taken with a camera upon request. I did a deal that took 5 weeks with the back and forth.

So you had to rely on a typed description. Then you had to go through comics to find the images.

Anyone care for a Kirby FF 5 page 19 ?FDEA7F9D-506A-47E4-A068-46B9D56E7DA6.thumb.jpeg.972eafdf13a82cf0328b118ea5c99326.jpeg

A no prize for the member that finds an image from FF 5 page 19 and posts it here so we can compare to Conrad’s description.

I remember seeing this FF 5 page and another from late in the same issue at a NY Con.  At the time I saw them, they were priced at a little over $5K - so obviously before this ad was published.  I recall that both pages were very nice shape but extremely pricey.

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

You really should write a book...seriously.  You're a HUGE part of the history of this hobby/business.  I'd bet you'd have NO trouble filling three hundred pages.  

I'm sure though that more than a few named within the covers would be screaming libel and defamation...  lol

Thanks for the kind words.

Except it’s not libel and defamation if it’s true. 

And now I’m a dinosaur. 

On 1/6/2020 at 11:10 AM, vodou said:

Conrad had that $4500 Thor splash for YEARS. Just could not get a bite.

I saw it in person in 1997 I believe at a show in Las Vegas. The original art was in a side room away from the comics.  I seriously thought about it but ended up buying a bunch of comics instead.

8 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Write it Mitch.  Don't forget to include all the gory details.

I volunteer to be Mitch's co-author/ghostwriter.  After all, I did publish a short interview with him on my website:

http://comicartads.com/content/mitch-itkowitz-interview

It's good to see that there could be an audience for such a book.  Cheers, Lee

3 hours ago, Lee B. said:

I volunteer to be Mitch's co-author/ghostwriter.  After all, I did publish a short interview with him on my website:

http://comicartads.com/content/mitch-itkowitz-interview

It's good to see that there could be an audience for such a book.  Cheers, Lee

HUGE audience :)

But we collectors need them to be signed, so publication cannot occur posthumously!