• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1998 Reunion with the Original Art Market
2 2

99 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I wish we could send you back in time just long enough to get that one buddy. Kinda what I was thinking about when posting this thread.

Funny you say that ... a customer sent an email last week and wished me a Happy New Year 2010. I sent a reply ribbing him on the typo in good fun but also replied that it was sad (of all the things you could do with the ability to go back in time) if I could go to 2010 (or earlier in theory), my first thought was what art I could buy at 10-years-ago pricing ... 

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

I bought the Ditko ASM # 37 page from Conrad Eschenberg for the $900 price listed here.  Later sold it to Jim Young, who recently re-sold it in the PIH auction.

Just for fun any idea of what it sold for in the PiH auction?

On 1/6/2020 at 8:15 AM, aokartman said:

Good post, those prices may seem silly today, but the market was still growing.

There were fewer buyers then for classic pages than there are today.

Fun to see if it all holds up.

Fingers crossed.

I am hoping for a gentle wave of transition to new collectors!

Old Dave, 

David S. Albright

To your point, here’s a few more. What’s interesting is the art for sale with many dealers didn’t have pics. A serious buyer might get a photocopy or even a picture taken with a camera upon request. I did a deal that took 5 weeks with the back and forth.

So you had to rely on a typed description. Then you had to go through comics to find the images.

Anyone care for a Kirby FF 5 page 19 ?FDEA7F9D-506A-47E4-A068-46B9D56E7DA6.thumb.jpeg.972eafdf13a82cf0328b118ea5c99326.jpeg

A no prize for the member that finds an image from FF 5 page 19 and posts it here so we can compare to Conrad’s description.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:11 AM, zhamlau said:

What’s odd is I remember seeing ditko art at shows in the 80s and it was over 1000. So little movement in the 10 years afterwards.

Think that’s odd? Look at these 1998 prices for Sal Buscema when he was a “nobody.” Now that he’s a Too 5 guy forget about it.

Although many here on the boards will think these are fair 2020 prices. H8

A877E7E4-6785-4A9C-8BC7-59B8AB468CA0.thumb.jpeg.a905d6d8c78f88c8e5bdd8bdefdf65c8.jpeg

CCA31FC4-74B0-46B9-8C98-D183815C71A1.thumb.jpeg.3982cfd751bc37541f0be8be2e467e51.jpeg

1 hour ago, vodou said:

A fair number of those ended up being bought by me then.

Still have nearly all of 'em too :bigsmile:

That’s great! You saw an excellent opportunity and pulled the trigger.

I was wondering do any of you guys have similar price advertising, catalogs, eBay snapshots etc?

Lee and Mitch always have great source material. But I would appreciate if others would share anything they have from:

Comic Buyers Guides

Catalogs

saved eBay auctions from the past

Classified ads

Not looking to keep this thread going beyond usefulness for everybody. But I truly was hoping to see if anyone here has similar material so we can appreciate the history of original comic art advertising and pricing.

I appreciate you all

🍇   🦍

38 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I was wondering do any of you guys have similar price advertising, catalogs, eBay snapshots etc?

Lee and Mitch always have great source material. But I would appreciate if others would share anything they have from:

Comic Buyers Guides

Catalogs

saved eBay auctions from the past

Classified ads

Not looking to keep this thread going beyond usefulness for everybody. But I truly was hoping to see if anyone here has similar material so we can appreciate the history of original comic art advertising and pricing.

I appreciate you all

🍇   🦍

I wish it was that easy.

I once created a cool illustrated mailer to send if anybody responded to my CBG classified ad.

I'm sure it's in a box in the attic. 

David

dunbiercard.jpg

Edited by aokartman
pic added

6 minutes ago, aokartman said:

I wish it was that easy.

I once created a cool illustrated mailer to send if anybody responded to my CBG classified ad.

I'm sure it's in a box in the attic. 

David

dunbiercard.jpg

David thank you! That’s brilliant!!

This would have been a neat item to get. Jim Mooney would always send a neat print and one time even sent extra original art.

Thank you David

8 minutes ago, grapeape said:

David thank you! That’s brilliant!!

This would have been a neat item to get. Jim Mooney would always send a neat print and one time even sent extra original art.

Thank you David

That image is from Scott Dunbier's CAF.

David