• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help me grade Captain Marvel Adventures 77
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Pretty sure this is a 2.0, I know I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it for more than that. But there's been discussion of the various impact of the detached centrefold (which in this case has been torn off) and CGC does differ from the overstreet grading guide so I wanted your input too.

captain marvel adventures 77 01.jpg

captain marvel adventures 77 02.jpg

20200102_235908.jpg

20200102_235918.jpg

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

You could send this to CCS to see if they could reattach it for you. As long as it's the original centerfold, you may still be able to get a blue label out of it. And this looks nicer than a 2.0, even with the detached centerfold...

Thanks for the tip. How much nicer would you say? Like what grade would you be comfortable recieving it as?

16 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks for the tip. How much nicer would you say? Like what grade would you be comfortable recieving it as?

According to the grading information I recall, a book in Very Good (3.5 - 4.5) can have the following defects: Moderate to heavy spine roll. 2" spine split. Ragged spine. Small amounts of tape. Reading crease that breaks color. Moderate size piece out. Moderate stains. Heavy rust on staples. And, believe it or not: Centerfold detached. 

44 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

According to the grading information I recall, a book in Very Good (3.5 - 4.5) can have the following defects: Moderate to heavy spine roll. 2" spine split. Ragged spine. Small amounts of tape. Reading crease that breaks color. Moderate size piece out. Moderate stains. Heavy rust on staples. And, believe it or not: Centerfold detached. 

Right, but from what I gather, that centrefold detached component from the grading information has it's own variance depending on whether it is detached at one staple or not. For instance, as was discussed in the thread I link to below, the overstreet guide says that the grades in the VG range are only applicable to a centrefold detached at one staple. 

I do thank you all for the grades. 2.5-3.0 sounds fair.

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Right, but from what I gather, that centrefold detached component from the grading information has it's own variance depending on whether it is detached at one staple or not. For instance, as was discussed in the thread I link to below, the overstreet guide says that the grades in the VG range are only applicable to a centrefold detached at one staple. 

I do thank you all for the grades. 2.5-3.0 sounds fair.

Interesting response!

But please check out this book currently listed on eBay: Sub-Mariner #7 CGC 5.5. It's not Qualified, and judging by the lower case printing notation on the label, it wasn't meant to be anything other than a Universal blue label. 

Personally, I'd be in the 3.5 range on your book, but if you're more comfortable with a lower grade, so be it. I wish you all the best...

Edited by The Lions Den

On 1/7/2020 at 3:25 PM, The Lions Den said:

Interesting response!

But please check out this book currently listed on eBay: Sub-Mariner #7 CGC 5.5. It's not Qualified, and judging by the lower case printing notation on the label, it wasn't meant to be anything other than a Universal blue label. 

CGC just got back to me about this. The notation does not distinguish the difference between a centrefold which was never attached (so mistake at manufacturing) and a centrefold which was once detached and now detached. So both scenarios would give the same notation of "detached centrefold". However, the grade for each scenario is very different. A loose centrefold can still get a decent grade. Overstreet says you can get up to 6.0 and CGC might give it more if the book looks much better than a 6.0 (since the defect is not due to wear). 

So that means that unless we have grader notes, we can't really compare how much a "centrefold detached" notion takes away from a grades based on the slabs alone.