• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature quality

9 posts in this topic

A book I recently had signed and graded came back with a 9.2 grade. One of the graders note said that the signature was smudged. The other note was a tape pull on the front cover. This book has been previously slabbed and graded 9.8. 

Does the quality of a signature impact the grade of the book?  I was under the impression that signatures weren't taken into account when grading SS books otherwise all SS books would be down graded for simply having been signed in the first place. 

20200106_181307.jpg

Edited by Icantdanse
Typo

On 1/7/2020 at 8:07 AM, ivdyer said:

The simple answer is yes.  A signature that is smudged, smeared, etc will result is down grade.  A tape pull most certainly will.  

Thanks. Guess I need to find another copy and try again...

On 1/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, Icantdanse said:

A book I recently had signed and graded came back with a 9.2 grade. One of the graders note said that the signature was smudged. The other note was a tape pull on the front cover. This book has been previously slabbed and graded 9.8. 

Does the quality of a signature impact the grade of the book?  I was under the impression that signatures weren't taken into account when grading SS books otherwise all SS books would be down graded for simply having been signed in the first place. 

20200106_181307.jpg

I have SS books where the signature are smudged and it came back a 9.8 and 9.6. The lower grade was for the tape pull and not the smudges. 

You mentioned the book was once a blue label 9.8 that was cracked out. Who did the cracking, did you do it yourself or did someone else do it? The tape pull happened during the cracking and when the book was getting prepped for the signing. Or it was damaged during the grading process. If you submitted this book to a facilitator or directly to CGC, you should contact them to see if you can get reimbursement. Why should you look for another copy?

I used a facilitator, and he cracked the slab. I get what you're saying about going after reimbursement, but I sort of feel like down grading is the chance you take when you crack a slab. It wouldnt sit well with me to try and get money back. 🤷‍♂️

32 minutes ago, taro90 said:

I have SS books where the signature are smudged and it came back a 9.8 and 9.6. The lower grade was for the tape pull and not the smudges. 

You mentioned the book was once a blue label 9.8 that was cracked out. Who did the cracking, did you do it yourself or did someone else do it? The tape pull happened during the cracking and when the book was getting prepped for the signing. Or it was damaged during the grading process. If you submitted this book to a facilitator or directly to CGC, you should contact them to see if you can get reimbursement. Why should you look for another copy?

7 hours ago, taro90 said:

I have two books with grader notes directly indicating the signature quality. I would assume it depends on the severity of the signature defect.

1 hour ago, ivdyer said:

I have two books with grader notes directly indicating the signature quality. I would assume it depends on the severity of the signature defect.

There is no question that a smudged sig can lower the grade of a book. I have no metric for quantifying that, but it can and does happen.

I think what gets me the most about this grading, is that the sig doesnt look smudged. It's certainly uneven. Almost as if the pen was dying, but the ink isnt smudged or smeared. And, the supposed tape pull on the bottom of the front cover... I cant find it. Theres no color missing and the paper appears flat and crisp. 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Icantdanse said:

I think what gets me the most about this grading, is that the sig doesnt look smudged. It's certainly uneven. Almost as if the pen was dying, but the ink isnt smudged or smeared. And, the supposed tape pull on the bottom of the front cover... I cant find it. Theres no color missing and the paper appears flat and crisp. 🤷‍♂️

I believe the tape pull is over the signature thus causing the discrepancy in the signature. I say this because it has happened to me.