• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get up, lad, get up!

11 posts in this topic

I'd love to hear from some of you boardies who were reading the Miller Daredevils at the time of their publication. Did you wonder if a cruel prank had been played on you when you went to get a copy of the latest issue and saw this DD cover?

There's an easy Bronze Age run that tripped and had to pick itself back up after a fall, right? BWS--someone not BWS--BWS again. What other titles saw artists shoved aside momentarily, only to finish out the race strong?

image.png.09de2d0cb0a07cbe34f6c3a4295d1f1e.png

I liked Miller’s art right from the beginning.  Without a news magazine or fanzine being available to me in the north of England at the time, the Ditko fill-in issue was an unexpected disappointment. Far from his best work.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I’d also noticed John Byrne’s artwork and was pleased to see him start on X-Men. After a couple of issues he was interrupted by a mediocre Tony Dezuniga fill-in ...

1095987.jpg

Of course, after that, Byrne and Claremont went on, like Miller, to create a classic run of stories.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I'd love to hear from some of you boardies who were reading the Miller Daredevils at the time of their publication. Did you wonder if a cruel prank had been played on you when you went to get a copy of the latest issue and saw this DD cover?

There's an easy Bronze Age run that tripped and had to pick itself back up after a fall, right? BWS--someone not BWS--BWS again. What other titles saw artists shoved aside momentarily, only to finish out the race strong?

image.png.09de2d0cb0a07cbe34f6c3a4295d1f1e.png

I love Ditko, but DD 162 is not an example of his best & brightest work! 

Im not sure this answer is a fair one but, I read Tom Kings Batman 1-85 and Im reading Scott Snyders Justice League and it seemed like every other issue(s) was a new artist. Its really frustrating not having some continuity with the art. It takes something away from the book.

I know that the reason Those two comics are doing it is because the insane 2 issues a month . It feels like a money grab...

People who were reading Marvel at the time were used to fill in issues, as Marvel had terrible deadline problems. One year, the Avengers had three fill ins in a little over six months, including the landmark 150th issue that was supposed to introduce a new lineup. It sucked, but we simply had to buy these issues to keep our runs going. Occasionally, these fill in issues weren't bad, but mostly there was a reason why they didn't make the cut in the first place.

18 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Miller just ruined Daredevil.  And I was reading at the time.

interesting. I was barely reading Daredevil before the Miller run. I bought 158 off the stands because the cover art caught my eye: great art!

To me it picked up instantly with 159 and the 160 - 161 Bullseye story was great.

162 was a filler and as a Hulk fan 163 was fantastic.

181 is still one of the best single issue stories I have ever read.