• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed
12 12

334 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Stin'sPCHkeys said:

Love me some Moldoff, take :headbang:

Moldoff: Check it out, M.C.

Gaines: Great, great. But that chair's kinda dull. Got anything for it?

Moldoff: Mmm, cats?

Gaines: Cats?

Moldoff: Uhh, gargoyle cats?

Gaines: Sure, do that.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

6 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Moldoff: Check it out, M.C.

Gaines: Great, great. But that chair's kinda dull. Got anything for it?

Moldoff: Mmm, cats?

Gaines: Cats?

Moldoff: Uhh, gargoyle cats?

Gaines: Sure, do that.

the gargoyle cat detail was at least 90% of the reason why I wanted this book 

15 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Flash Comics 8- CGC 6.5- $1200 SOLD TO STINSPCHKEYS VIA PM

Great Moldoff cover. Ad for Batman 1!

Flash8CGC65.jpg

Flash8CGC65-back.jpg

This label has me questioning why there would be a house ad for Batman 1 as it went on sale in late April 1940.  I can see an ad for All-Star 1 being in there based on "on sale" dates but not Batman 1 - an ad for Batman 2 maybe but not 1.  

Any thoughts?

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

This label has me questioning why there would be a house ad for Batman 1 as it went on sale in late April 1940.  I can see an ad for All-Star 1 being in there based on "on sale" dates but not Batman 1 - an ad for Batman 2 maybe but not 1.  

Any thoughts?

It may be helpful to note that although only around 300 copies are currently known to exist, they originally printed 500,000 copies back in 1940. It would stand to reason that they were not completely sold out by the time they published Flash 8. Here's a picture of the last page... it not only contains an ad for All Star and Batman, but Detective, Action and Superman as well. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20200109-081808_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Joshua33 said:

It may be helpful to note that although only around 300 copies are currently known to exist, they originally printed 500,000 copies back in 1940. It would stand to reason that they were not completely sold out by the time they published Flash 8. Here's a picture of the last page... it not only contains an ad for All Star and Batman, but Detective, Action and Superman as well. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20200109-081808_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for this!

Here are the "on sale" dates as per GCD:

Batman 1 - April 24, 1940

Flash 8 - June 14, 1940

Batman 2 - July 19, 1940

Clearly Flash 8 was closer to Batman 2 than Batman 1 in terms of its "on sale" date and given that the publishing industry is always looking forward it's hard to understand why they were not pushing the upcoming release of Batman 2 at the time of this house ad.

You may be right - they were trying to get those remaining copies sold although 1 1/2 month to 2 months on the stands for Batman 1 sounds like a long time to me.

12 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Thanks for this!

Flash 8 - June 14, 1940

Batman 2 - July 19, 1940

Clearly Flash 8 was closer to Batman 2 than Batman 1 in terms of its "on sale" date and given that the publishing industry is always looking forward it's hard to understand why they were not pushing the upcoming release of Batman 2 at the time of this house ad.

You may be right - they were trying to get those remaining copies sold although 1 1/2 month to 2 months on the stands for Batman 1 sounds like a long time to me.

Doesn't surprise me as Batman was a quarterly title at that point.  Hard to say how early that house ad had to be created in order to appear in Flash #8. 

55 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Thanks for this!

Flash 8 - June 14, 1940

Batman 2 - July 19, 1940

It's more than likely there was a second printing of Batman #1, given the 2 versions, perhaps, as with Superman #1, there were even three. So they could have just been marketing a printing that was more concurrent with the printing of Flash #8

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

It's more than likely there was a second printing of Batman #1, given the 2 versions, perhaps, as with Superman #1, there were even three. So they could have just been marketing a printing that was more concurrent with the printing of Flash #8

I had thought about that.  

GCD lists the two versions as being printed 1 day apart for what that's worth.  I guess though that there would have been nothing stopping them from doing a few extra runs of the last variant given that it was at this point a quarterly.  I'm sure demand was quite high for this book as by this time the character was undoubtedly hugely popular.