• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So is Doomsday Clock in-continuity or not?!
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Doomsday Clock Series Spoilers below

Trying to see if anyone knows, or has an informed opinion on if Doomsday Clock is in-continuity or not.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and found it to have far exceeded my expectations.

The ending of hope and transformation was my comic high note of 2019. I am confused by some reporting on the ramifications of issue 12. 

As those that read it saw, we have the return of the JSA, Ma and Pa Kent, the new 52 now has it's own earth, the earth formerly known as earth 1 is now earth 1985 (what?!?) SO many great things happened as a result of this book, not to mention some great new characters like Marionette, Mime, and the new Rorschach.  

Some articles on CBR, Newsarama, Bleeding Cool, etc. talk about this series as in-continuity, which is what I would assume by reading it. I have no idea that I am correct, but I kind of assume the long lag time for the last few issues, was trying to align it with current continuity in DC. For instance, the series started out with Saturn Girl from John's and Frank's retroboot Legion, then in issue 11 she basically faded away, making room for her current version, along with the rest of Bendis' current version of the Legion. This seems like an obvious editorial change mid-series to accommodate The new version of the Legion by Bendis (though I have no idea if that is correct, but it sure would make sense).

I saw a couple of articles on bleedingcool where they are now stating it, almost as fact, that according to their DC sources, Doomsday Clock isn't in continuity at all, and cite things like Alfred being alive in this series, but not in the rest of the DCU, as well as Lex vs Apex Lex in the JL books, and the return of Ma and Pa Kent not being seen in any of the superbooks. I remember when Crisis on Infinite Earths happened. All of that story was in-continuity and really happened, but the ramifications were so great that some series picked up to the new status quo very quickly (Wonder Woman) while others took a very long time (Hawkman/Hawkworld). Why would they go through the trouble of incorporating the Bendis Legion, and not just staying with the Retroboot Legion if this was just a self-contained out of continuity storyline? Similarly, I have read reports regarding the new 5G thingamobob happening with DC. One of the things that has been reported regarding 5G, is that Wonder Woman will be re-written to have been one of the first heroes back in the 30's/40's. This was mentioned and happened as a result DDC #12. Why add that if it was out of continuity? Doomsday Clock was the continuation of the DC Universe Rebirth Special, it wouldn't make any sense for DDC to be out of continuity. 

As far as Alfred still being dead, maybe he comes back soon after the Doomwar thing? Maybe Doomsday Clock took place after that? Heck, maybe before the Batman issue where he died?

As far as the Kents go, maybe we just haven't had an opportunity or reason to see them yet in the Supes books post DDC #12.

Anyways Doomsday Clock was the best written, drawn, and most refreshing books I have read in a long time, and I would love for it to actually "matter", and affect the status quo going forward. I would LOVE to visit earth 2 again, to hear more about earth 1985, to see Wonder Woman get retconned as being one of the original Supers and see her punch some Nazis.

Any thoughts folks? 

48 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

Is anything at DC in continuity?

Ha, I definitely get your point, and I should probably use the phrase “intended in-continuity“, which should be held loosely for sure. I just mean in-continuity as opposed to intentionally out of continuity books like black label, elseworlds, etc. 

On 1/9/2020 at 4:13 PM, BCoffee said:

Wow....this pretty much explains it all VERY well....even makes sense of how those last pages of DDC #12, which show the future of the DCU interact with 5G.

Very well done.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01/09/the-long-read-doomsday-clock-is-canon-and-in-continuity/

Did you actually read all of that? No way I am.

But it did start out that it’s fanboy theory, so...

On 1/10/2020 at 10:30 PM, ygogolak said:

Did you actually read all of that? No way I am.

But it did start out that it’s fanboy theory, so...

Ha, yeah. It was actually pretty light and quick reading....I mean it's about comics books : )

Yes indeed, a lot of folks have pointed out (and I would agree) that if DC isn't playing the long-game here, and hasn't tied everything together the way he states, that they should hire him as a consultant. I'm hopeful that at least his major points are correct. Honestly, I'm not sure how they couldn't be, but time will tell. Would be super proud of DC if they stuck to the 5 year plan for 5G laid out at the end of DDC #12.